IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

46 minutes ago, MARIO130XE said:

BTT: Btw, what's actually the reason for the flickering borders in the title screens? ?

The reason is that you did not opt it out ;) - it can be switched of (press ESC and set flickering font off)

But, if it flickers the whole scene has a bit more "resolution".

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

At first, a big thank you to all involved for the new version! I am really happy that I can play POP on the Atari 8Bit after all these years!

Had only a quick test via emulation, but all versions (disk and car) worked fine there. Test emulation was done with an appropriate old environment, Win XP and Atari 800 Win (setup with 1088k RAM, PAL, XL-OS Rev. 2). Will test the released versions on real Ataris later this day. None of my Ataris are equipped with U1MB and SIDE3, will therefore test with 512k SRAM by mega-hz and 512k SRAM by tf_hh and with + without AVG cart. and Speedy 1050 drive. (Could also try to program/flash my SIC! 2MBit cart., but do not remember how it is done and/or what software is required to do it.)

Alas, it looks like history repeats itself here, simply read the replies about Stunt Car Racer and the replies about POP here and it looks like XBIOS has something to do with them in both cases... ?  So, all programmers should be warned or at least be informed (so they know before-hand) what reactions will happen in the A8 scene, if they use XBIOS with their program(s).

I'm sure you will have fun on all your tries. It will work ;)

xBIOS is not a problem, it is the SOLUTION to have this great game even on disc drive. Imho it won't load from normal DOS, so many thanks to @xxl for coding xBIOS.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, MARIO130XE said:

Unfortunately without flickering the lines are interrupred.

The effect works well, as set by default, but it seems better suited for NTSC higher refresh rate, to begin with.

The improvement of resolution or smoother font-edges is noticeable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

The AtariMax .CAR image loading under SIDE3. That's as good as it gets, the other two .CAR images simply go to a blue screen, at least the AtariMax image starts loading only to stop and bomb to the self test screen. Changing the OS ROM to Altirra OS does nothing at all, you get the exact same thing.

Here's the Megacart image, just crashes to a blue screen. The SIC image does the exact same thing:

I have exactly the same results.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm maybe it is only me, but I am 49 yo now and every interlace screen more in my life is killing my eyes. I remember my short but good old AMIGA 1200 times using hires workbench or games like klonedike solitaire in such interlace modes without scan doublers.... holy shit NOW I could not play such games for more than one minute. So that's my reason to dislike such interlace screens on real hardware. But now... in POP for A8 I can't see any reason, wth the borders have to flicker in interlace mode, nor have to be interupted. I think, there's no special hires interlace flickering feature that need this ugly mode in those TXT-Screens.

Maybe someone could technically enlight me and I would understand and accept and respect the flickering modes. Even if it's just an artistic thing. :)

Edited by MARIO130XE

PAL and flicker - no good friends. (I am 49 also.)

The best result you can get there is PAL flicker = acceptable/noticeable, but most of the time PAL flicker = awful/terrible. If you have e.g. a shoot-em-up and the player is extremely busy with fighting hundreds of objects, he may not notice it that much (e.g. Space Harrier), but in POP it is a textscreen for reading and therefore will be noticed. But maybe one could make the text much longer, so that everyone skips it, because of TLDR... ;-)

Still not get ANY TECHNICAL REASON... is it artistic??? Sorry, but it looks really ugly and like poor coding skills using  this way.

I'm not watching those screens for hours... so no problem.... but... damn it's ugly and I am just saying, it's not worth comparing it to all the other beautiful parts of the game. :) 

I do not really need a change, I simply want to undestand, WHY the border-lines are painted in this crazy, interrupted way. Do this have technically reasons or simply artistic? 

Unbenannt.png

Edited by MARIO130XE
  • Sad 1

The SIC! image does not always properly start. On my (not U1MB-equipped) 65XE with 320K of RAM sometimes it starts and works fine, but sometimes only shows the first frame of the loading animation and freezes. I'm using a real SIC! cart.

11 minutes ago, MARIO130XE said:

Still not get ANY TECHNICAL REASON... is it artistic??? Sorry, but it looks really ugly and like poor coding skills using  this way.

I'm not watching those screens for hours... so no problem.... but... damn it's ugly and I am just saying, it's not worth comparing it to all the other beautiful parts of the game. :) 

I do not really want a change, I want to undestand, WHY the lines are painted this crazy, interrupted way.

I think it is for artistic reasons, as you have another color shape. Best seen, when you use frame blending in emulator:

grafik.thumb.png.1dba13b63df779f6e360eb97eeec52a1.png

But, as often it is not everyones darling to have flicker. But you can switch that of, if you want to. So you can choose, what you want it should look like. Imho best way to have that many options.

7 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

My actual U1MB settings:

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Thank you! and thanks to PPS too.  No dice though, I can't get any of the .car versions to load via AVG nor the .atr via Fujinet.  They all hang in the exact same spot.  With the dancing girl and her hip to the left.

25 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Thank you! and thanks to PPS too.  No dice though, I can't get any of the .car versions to load via AVG nor the .atr via Fujinet.  They all hang in the exact same spot.  With the dancing girl and her hip to the left.

Is she still in motion or stops her dancing action? If first, then be patient. Loading is still in progress.

4 hours ago, pps said:

Personally I can't understand why XXL chooses to put code in his projects (not all of them), that makes loading on U1MB systems impossible, but if he does not want to change this, I will respect this. In result I can't use this things on my real ATARI, as I have U1MB equipped machine as main ATARI.

Would be very cool, if he at some day will change his opinion , so I could use all of the things on real machine, too.

This is very special and new to me and I think, why to hell would ppl do all the attack against ALL the U1MB USERS? Okay, he's having his own issues with the U1MB developer, but bombing at all the USERS????? Holy shit thats really crazy. Some ppl really need help???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MARIO130XE said:

Sorry, but it looks really ugly and like poor coding skills using  this way.

No, it is not about that.

It is just that you cannot render the intended output on your end (for whatever reason).

Don't sweat it. Not all effects can be rendered anywhere, anyways. The good news is that a) you can disable that at will, b) the title-screens are equally readable with or without that effect. They are just meant to look nicer with it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MARIO130XE said:

but bombing at all the USERS?????

You have a cart-load option that is lightning fast, btw.

If you did not have that option, well, yes, we could also say that many got hosed... but we are not stuck to one model, here.

Definitely not the intention.

• Like 1

None of the three .CAR versions load properly from my SIDE3 with the latest SIDE Loader version. Two of the freeze on a solid full blue screen, the other jumps into the XL/XE Self Test screen instead. None of the ATRs load with the PBI Loader. Via FujiNet, the DD version freezes after 10 - 15 seconds with the dancing girl hip thrust to the left every time. The SD version loads, albeit excruciatingly slowly.

You know, XXl's hate for Candle/Lotharek and the users of their hardware has consequences. One of which is extreme distaste towards an otherwise-interesting and noteworthy new game that SHOULD be celebrated; instead, his sociopathic antipathy towards anything but his own misguided version of reality has colored everything to do with this game, making it far more difficult to even load than it should.

And that's a goddamned shame.

• Like 3