IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Well, I just noticed that .CAR versions DO NOT work on SIDE3... ??

...but that begs the question of why, since it works with AVG and Ultimate/SD carts (with AtariMax image, at least on Incognito/800, and even with current set of issues with its CPLD logic).

That's looks like a red-flag with SIDE3, then. Definitely needs full attention.

32 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

None of the three .CAR versions load properly from my SIDE3 with the latest SIDE Loader version. Two of the freeze on a solid full blue screen, the other jumps into the XL/XE Self Test screen instead. None of the ATRs load with the PBI Loader. Via FujiNet, the DD version freezes after 10 - 15 seconds with the dancing girl hip thrust to the left every time. The SD version loads, albeit excruciatingly slowly.

You know, XXl's hate for Candle/Lotharek and the users of their hardware has consequences. One of which is extreme distaste towards an otherwise-interesting and noteworthy new game that SHOULD be celebrated; instead, his sociopathic antipathy towards anything but his own misguided version of reality has colored everything to do with this game, making it far more difficult to even load than it should.

And that's a goddamned shame.

Well,

we have caught XXL more than once for adding code intentionally to his programs to make it NOT work with U1MB. We also have seen him release several GTIA (and other) demos that contain illegal opcodes for no other reason than NOT to work with 65816/Rapidus.

So, maybe he now has SIDE3 (and/or Fujinet) on his "not wanted / do not like" list and added code to make the program NOT work with SIDE3 (and/or Fujinet) ? He is a good programmer (with questionable attitude however) and clever enough to do that. But maybe the case is much simpler, the SIC! cart. version seems to have a bug, maybe all other cart. versions do also have bugs ?

A look into the source code will (sooner or later) reveal what is the cause for the non-working versions on several hardware enhancements. If it turns out, that it was code added by XXL, then all future XXL releases should be released with a warning sticker: "Warning! This program is not suitable for enhanced A8 hardware", while the A8 enhancements should come with a warning sticker on them: "Warning! This A8 enhancement is not suitable for childish programmers with extra extra large egos."

• Like 9

Big thanks to all the team for this new release. :cool:Alas it's a no go for me having tried to get it running via both my Side3 and SDrive Max on my 320k 65XE.

I tried the DD and SD files first on my Side3. Just goes to Blue screen. I then tried them both on my SDrive. The DD starts loading and I get the dancing girl for 40 seconds, then she freezes.  The same goes if I mount the two SD ATRs and boot the 1st one. I also tried the Mega and Atarimax Car's on SIDE 3 and they both just go to blue screen. 

I'll boot up on  Altirra at some stage, (lappy currently busy at the mo so not worth trying to boot it up).

Thanks again for this amazing work  - can't wait to see the cutscenes. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

"ignore" is a nice option.   Just added XXL to it, because of his attitude.  Maybe we should all ignore not only what he says, but also what he does/produces.

Sincerely

Mathy

that's a good solution - I won't have to read trolls' responses to my posts: D

Sincerely

Kris

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

So, maybe he now has SIDE3 (and/or Fujinet) on his "not wanted / do not like" list and added code to make the program NOT work with SIDE3

That sounds weird... it just does not add up.

How can you do that, and still work with AVG. Ultimate/SD, Atarimax 8Mbit, etc.. !?

Does not sound that trivial, to me... ??

53 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

If it turns out, that it was code added by XXL, then all future XXL releases should be released with a warning sticker

someone here must have been afraid of an open wardrobe in childhood ... and rightly so, I was there.

• Haha 2

DD ATR crashes when loading via FujiNet on my 576NUC+ Beta board. SD ATR version crashes after the game loads during the various text title screens. Tried with HSIO-patched OS and with stock XEGS OS.  Add "hates Mytek hardware, too" to a certain eXtra eXhausting a-hoLe's resume, I guess.  

Not worth fooling around with this game anymore until it uses a better, more flexible and inclusive loader and/or the CAR versions get corrected.

20 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Long shot, but can someone try this, basically those two KIL instructions replaces with NOPs.

PoP_Atarimax_20210610_(KIL fix test).car 1 MB · 2 downloads

On my U1MB with AVG Cart , Altirra OS, Stock Mem (128Kb thus) config only the SiC CAR version would work, all others would result in the image of the dancing girl being static and frozen.
Now this AtariMax KILL FIX version works, I get the animated girls and the loading continues to the intro screen and further.

Edited by Lastic
Clarification
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Long shot, but can someone try this, basically those two KIL instructions replaced with NOPs.

PoP_Atarimax_20210610_(KIL fix test).car 1 MB · 6 downloads

Does NOT work on my NTSC 1200XL + U1MB. On boot the system goes straight to Self Test, same thing that happens with the original AtariMax cart type.

@DrVenkman Thanks, just as a double check, if not done already, if you blow Space Harrier to it then it works? (assuming a physical cart here and not mounted via a newer cart design)

[Edit] I've just tried in Altirra using 1200XL and see the same thing, it would appear the boot process isn't seeing the AtariMax cart?

e.g. set breakpoint on $A000 and this isn't hit. Perhaps some behaviour Jon/@flashjazzcat might be familiar with?

Edited by Wrathchild

Just now, Wrathchild said:

@DrVenkman Thanks, just as a double check, if not done already, if you blow Space Harrier to it then it works? (assuming a physical cart here and not mounted via a newer cart design)

I don't have a physical AtariMax cart, sorry. I'm trying to load via SIDE3. As an aside (*cough*) the Space Harrier .CAR works great, tested on both my U1MB 1200XL and my 64K 600XL, both loaded via SIDE3. 

• Like 1