IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Seems very unlikely that JM would object to a physical cartridge version, from what you say. Unfortunately, it's probably not his call.

However, also seems unlikely Ubisoft would take an interest, given their lack of action it seems over at least two similar 8 bit ports over the course of many years.

8 hours ago, STE'86 said:

how different is doing a cart on atari to doing easyflash? can u not "DIY"?

having walked the IP tightrope with pretty much every project i have done on the c64 in 10 years i can say that I find issuing a sold traceable product a very dicey prospect for the amount on revenue u could expect to earn.

the IP is vague, could be Jordan, could be Ubi, possibly even Disney have a stake as they did the film.

if you ask, u appear a a blip on the radar and they will refuse you. they will always refuse you because thats always the first reaction of a big company to an IP request and u won't be offering financial incentive so they won't be arsed to even discuss it with their legal people.

THEN if you release for free you will still appear on their radar because u put yourself there and so they will probably c&d you anyway. so the motto is "do not ask" release as a fait accompli.

and guys can i just say advertising the fact you are doing this for 2 years is hardly going to help u go "under the radar" you know how much warning the c64 scene got? 2 weeks. prior to that only a handful of people knew it existed.

Hey STE!  Could you do us up a nice title screen for this game?  ;)

9 hours ago, STE'86 said:

and guys can i just say advertising the fact you are doing this for 2 years is hardly going to help u go "under the radar" you know how much warning the c64 scene got? 2 weeks. prior to that only a handful of people knew it existed.

Did the C64 port of PoP get flagged by the copyright trolls? And lets be honest, they are copyright trolls. Holding 30yo software to ransom when the game isn't even sold as a title by the companies (usually not the author) that hold the rights to the name.

As stated, I can understand Nintendo as they still distribute the original SMB. But I haven't seen a commercial release of the PoP game since the original.

• Like 1

Can we please stop discussing something that is totally non existing yet (copyright troubles ), if ever.

Let’s focus on the game.

Today my step-son (17) walked in and saw me play PoP. He said.....hey.....from what year is that game, it looks way too advanced for such an old game (he’s referring to other games I regularly play on my 600XL.)

I thought that was a great compliment, so I explained him that it was really revolutionary at the time and how Jordan created the animation.....

I think it was pretty cool that he recognised the advanced animation for a kid who plays XBox games.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It just wouldn't be Atari Age if all the armchair lawyers and copyright trolls didn't come out.  It's almost as frequent a topic as Atari vs Commodore or Jaguar vs whatever the hell.

which is why all that crap shouldn't even come to a mention anymore, Welcome to the Atari Forums, where we discuss Atari Hardware and Software minus the talk of so many other machines along with the endless patent, copyright, piracy diatribes and segways.  Heh, yeah that's going to happen.... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Did the C64 port of PoP get flagged by the copyright trolls? And lets be honest, they are copyright trolls. Holding 30yo software to ransom when the game isn't even sold as a title by the companies (usually not the author) that hold the rights to the name.

As stated, I can understand Nintendo as they still distribute the original SMB. But I haven't seen a commercial release of the PoP game since the original.

Yes, this irks me too....

Cease and desist orders for a Mario clone..Seriously, even if there's still traction on the game, it's just annoying, as for POP, I do hope they just let it go as a nice release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes, this irks me too....

Cease and desist orders for a Mario clone..Seriously, even if there's still traction on the game, it's just annoying, as for POP, I do hope they just let it go as a nice release.

I'm sure it'll be no problem, as far as I'm aware the Apple > C64 port was never targeted. Let's just enjoy it, I really need to polish my skills as I'm total rubbish at this game - Meanwhile others have finished it already!

Edited by Mazzspeed

Well,

POP works on my (two) PAL Ataris with 512k SRAM extension by tf_hh. The extensions I have are not the newest ones, mine are version 4.2 to be exact - maybe the newer versions 4.3 and/or 4.4 behave differently ? (Do not know what's different between versions 4.2/4.3/4.4.) On the other hand, these two PAL computers do not have many other upgrades, just one more upgrade, a switchable OS (XL-OS Rev. 2 and either OS-A or OS-B), that's all. And I am loading the disk (SD or DD) from a real 1050 floppy drive with Speedy.

29 minutes ago, Luke210 said:

Wierd, PoP is working with 512kb rambo expansion (on my 800xe).

29 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

POP works on my (two) PAL Ataris with 512k SRAM extension by tf_hh. The extensions I have are not the newest ones, mine are version 4.2 to be exact - maybe the newer versions 4.3 and/or 4.4 behave differently ? (Do not know what's different between versions 4.2/4.3/4.4.) On the other hand, these two PAL computers do not have many other upgrades, just one more upgrade, a switchable OS (XL-OS Rev. 2 and either OS-A or OS-B), that's all. And I am loading the disk (SD or DD) from a real 1050 floppy drive with Speedy.

Well I only have this memory upgrade on an 800xl(xlf motherboard). My 65xe(also an xlf) has 64k so I can not do any testing on that machine . I load programs through  SIO2PC cable (RespeQt) and Sio2Android(AspeQt). The  "symptoms" are identical.

I did run a memory managing prg that Jurgen sent me and I set the memory to 256k. I did a cold reset with that setting but  nothing really changed, the loading process always stops after the  first screen titles at a blue screen with a mouse on the lower right corner.

I was checking compatibility issues  in general and I found out that the Rambrant Antic prg doesn't run (only if I load the disk B/instructions first,do a  coldreset with  A disk in slot , I get to run the program).

There is also a long list of games that I tested  and  a small number of games like Cyctriks, Bombay2, Darg II, Abyssus,  Dark Abyss, Astro-Droid, Avex 1996 don't run with 64,256 or 512 memory setting.

I don't really care about it but I find it strange. I guess those " Freddie" boards  are a pain....lol

If you have any ideas pls feel free to share.

1 hour ago, Nickolasgaspar said:

I did run a memory managing prg that Jurgen sent me and I set the memory to 256k. I did a cold reset with that setting but  nothing really changed, the loading process always stops after the  first screen titles at a blue screen with a mouse on the lower right corner.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:56 AM, rensoup said:

So you said solid blue but looking at your picture that may not be solid... could it be something like this ?

flickeryblue.png.c68edbd9ad2e22bb9ff6f68bac609f75.png

That means: FILE NOT FOUND !

Could be that there's an issue with Fujinet, or it could be that there's a memory stomp that's trashing one of the filenames...

If that's the screen you get, it means file not found... I don't know why it doesn't find the file though. Some people have mentioned having success with respeQt

54 minutes ago, rensoup said:

If that's the screen you get, it means file not found... I don't know why it doesn't find the file though. Some people have mentioned having success with respeQt

That's exactly what happens with the most recent versions on my NTSC machines when the game crashes after loading from my FujiNet devices, usually within 15 - 20 minutes after loading while running in demo/attract mode.

35 minutes ago, Nickolasgaspar said:

yes that is the screen. So you suggest that it's probably an SIO not a memory issue?

yes

17 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That's exactly what happens with the most recent versions on my NTSC machines when the game crashes after loading from my FujiNet devices, usually within 15 - 20 minutes after loading while running in demo/attract mode.

There's not much I can do to debug this... I'd be curious to know if there are any read retries...

Perhaps it crashes always after x attract loops ?