IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Tested the "pop_DDfastestmouse_notplayable2.ATR" today directly after work from 5:00pm to 11:08pm (more than 6 hours) and it did not crash. The demo mode loaded and loaded and after more than six hours the 1050 was quite hot, even the disk was very warm - but the demo mode was still loading (looping) and there was no crash at all.

58 minutes ago, adam242 said:

I can verify this as well. I've left the .CAR image running for days on my Incognito 800 with the Ultimate Cart. Mostly demo mode, but I've taken a few stabs at actually playing the game. I'm not very good at it yet...

Thanks!! 

?

(I almost feel bad for your 1050!)

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

I got past the sword wielding guard at level one by timing the jump right just once...

I was so shocked I did it, I stopped and he stabbed me in the back.

I kept trying to go past that guard earlier today, not once I managed to pull the trick :C

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

I kept trying to go past that guard earlier today, not once I managed to pull the trick :C

I've tried it over and over again on both the C64 version of PoP as well as the A8 version since the one time I did it , buggered if I can do it again!

I jumped up and cheered, TAC2 in hand, only to be immediately crushed.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, rensoup said:

That seems wrong since it works with real drives with the slow dancer (and crashes with fujinet)

a bit weird because the game Slicks (racing) also uses xB and is for FujiNET and no one has reported any problems.

On 6/30/2021 at 4:07 AM, Mazzspeed said:

I got past the sword wielding guard at level one by timing the jump right just once...

I was so shocked I did it, I stopped and he stabbed me in the back.

Tried it a good number of times but never succeeded so don’t feel bad.

anyway, I go through Level 1 in no time now so it’s not that important.

however, I can’t finish Level 2. I don’t understand how to jump back over the wide gap once I activated the trigger switch tile that opens the gate to Level 3……

QUERY: 

Has anyone managed to write out/copy the DD ATR to a physical floppy via a Happy or USD 1050 drive? If so, what sector copier did you use, and further, what's the trick to getting it to boot properly? I have tried it twice with Disk Wizard II. Each time it seems to go fine until reporting several bad sectors at the end of the PoP ATR. When I try to boot the disk, it starts to load fine but as soon as the screen turns black, loading stops and the system is effectively frozen until I hit SYSTEM RESET or do a power cycle or cold boot. 

13 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

QUERY: 

Has anyone managed to write out/copy the DD ATR to a physical floppy via a Happy or USD 1050 drive? If so, what sector copier did you use, and further, what's the trick to getting it to boot properly? I have tried it twice with Disk Wizard II. Each time it seems to go fine until reporting several bad sectors at the end of the PoP ATR. When I try to boot the disk, it starts to load fine but as soon as the screen turns black, loading stops and the system is effectively frozen until I hit SYSTEM RESET or do a power cycle or cold boot. 

I know it's not what you ask for, but if it helps anyone I used an XF551, Fujinet and CopyMate (either v4.4 or the XE version, I'm not sure at the moment) and everything went without a hitch: reading/formatting/writing.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, DrVenkman said:

Fujinet loading the DD version

On 6/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, DrVenkman said:

See if the game will run through its self-play/demo mode for more than an hour. 

I tried this a few days ago, just forgot to write the result here: I got a blue screen after 20-30 minutes, I think the mouse loading screen was shown.

1 hour ago, ggn said:

I know it's not what you ask for, but if it helps anyone I used an XF551, Fujinet and CopyMate (either v4.4 or the XE version, I'm not sure at the moment) and everything went without a hitch: reading/formatting/writing.

Well, fundamentally that’s not far from what I was doing - booting Disk Wizard II from FujiNet’s D1: slot, with one of my Happy 1050’s set as D2:. After the sector copier boots, I’d set the options for Source as D1:, Target as D2:, DD disk and Format Destination. When prompted to insert the Source and Target disks, I’d use the FujiNet web interface to put the PoP ATR into the FujiNet D1: slot, then start the process. I heard my D2: drive format the disk as expected, then first bunch of sectors were read in and written out, etc. At the end of the process, like I said, Disk Wizard II always reports several bad sectors at the end of the PoP ATR (around sectors 716 - 720). 

In any case, each time I’ve tried it, the new disk starts to boot but as soon as the loader gets to the point of the screen turning black, but before the dancing girl appears, the load stops and the drive eventually spins down.

22 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Has anyone managed to write out/copy the DD ATR to a physical floppy via a Happy or USD 1050 drive?

800XE PAL with an U1MB, SDriveMax as D2:, Happy 1050 as D1:, CopyMate 4.4 worked successful.

I ran a full loop of the demo without any problems.

I was unable to make a working copy using Disk Wizard II but I did NOT get any read errors either. I tried three times on two different floppies.

It always crashes when it is supposed to switch from dancing princess to mouse.

Copymate 4.4.atr

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Well, fundamentally that’s not far from what I was doing - booting Disk Wizard II from FujiNet’s D1: slot, with one of my Happy 1050’s set as D2:. After the sector copier boots, I’d set the options for Source as D1:, Target as D2:, DD disk and Format Destination. When prompted to insert the Source and Target disks, I’d use the FujiNet web interface to put the PoP ATR into the FujiNet D1: slot, then start the process.

I took advantage of the Fujinet supporting 2 virtual floppies by mounting CopyMate in D1:, PoP DD disk in D2: and setting my XF551 as D3:. Then when CopyMate booted I just did a D2: -> D3: copy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DjayBee said:

800XE PAL with an U1MB, SDriveMax as D2:, Happy 1050 as D1:, CopyMate 4.4 worked successful.

I ran a full loop of the demo without any problems.

That did the trick, thanks! I had a copy of CopyMate 4.4 in my library already, so I just booted it up as D1: in my FujiNet, put the full-game PoP "bugfix" version into the D3: slot, then had a blank disk in my D2: Happy 1050. Copy went perfectly, so I turned my FujiNet off, put the new disk into my D1: Happy 1050, and the game booted right up. ?

IMG_0434.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That did the trick, thanks! I had a copy of CopyMate 4.4 in my library already, so I just booted it up as D1: in my FujiNet, put the full-game PoP "bugfix" version into the D3: slot, then had a blank disk in my D2: Happy 1050. Copy went perfectly, so I turned my FujiNet off, put the new disk into my D1: Happy 1050, and the game booted right up. ?

IMG_0434.JPG

Off topic I know, but I have to ask.

DrVenkman, what's that breadboard with the LED's in front of your 850?

35 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

DrVenkman, what's that breadboard with the LED's in front of your 850?

Just something I was playing around with last year - a little analog variable-speed "Larson scanner" made with a 555 timer and a 4017 decade counter chip.

EDIT: here’s a little slo-mo video for those like me who are easily fascinated by blinky lights. Sorry for the OT. :) 

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

The 06/21 DD version hangs shortly after loading begins using the ATR with APE.  The SD version appears to hang at the same place.  Maybe I'm not doing this right?  I booted the ATR using a stock 130XE.  Maybe needs more ram than a stock 130XE? It puts the "dancing girl" at the lower right and hangs right there.  Is there another version that doesn't hang? 

Edit: OK, it is a timing issue.  Sector copied to real disks, they load/execute fine.

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

Just tested 19th of June DD bugfix version from 1st page on FujiNet with latest firmware and unfortunately everytime the loading hangs like this even before the intro:

616726916_WhatsAppImage2021-07-04at10_49_56.thumb.jpeg.2ec60890c263ae767dac4fd867f96d6b.jpeg

See if the “fastestmouse” demo version from around June 27 will load.

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

See if the “fastestmouse” demo version from around June 27 will load.

Unfortunately it didn't make a difference - it's still hanging using FujiNet's SD card like I showed in post #1969.

Edited by Jacques