IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

22 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Hi! I love how it’s looking the game now.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Wilheim said:

@rensoup, is there anything you need I can help you with?

What's your problem ?

Ooops sorry... not used to such demonstration of kindness in this thread ?

If you could bring sense to the senseless, that'd be great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

15 hours ago, Jacques said:

If you believe getting modern monitor/TV that doesn't do correction like that is a simple matter of "not buying crap one", and not the technology we have nowadays that wants to correct everything beyond user's control, that's not too smart, either.

If you want to unlock your TV's full potential you need to switch hobbies and get yourself a DVD player.

You've been spamming the thread for the past year with the same rambling and the same pictures and you're calling others stubborn ? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Just playing around:

While it's nice, it doesn't have the magic that early 400/800 software had:

534446-energy-czar-atari-8-bit-front-cov

They had that 70s sci-fi vibe which I found fascinating... the marketing really worked because I wanted to own them all even though I had no idea what they were about most of the time.

XL software boxes were nice too...

57191-millipede-atari-8-bit-front-cover.

And here's a cart label:

realsports_soccer_silver_cart.jpg.9ce3ae1f0ed68ee6850d3793c0c3fff0.jpg

Just curious, does anybody know if there a site which has them compiled in a nice browsable way ? Atarimania has a lot but even browsing with google image doesn't show them all...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Just curious, does anybody know if there a site which has them compiled in a nice browsable way ? Atarimania has a lot but even browsing with google image doesn't show them all...

Not a site, but the book THE ART OF ATARI and the accompanying poster book are awesome. Not 100% comprehensive, but lots of details about the art itself, the artists, and the various marketing campaigns.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Atari-Tim-Lapetino/dp/1524101036/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+Art+of+Atari&qid=1627084075&sr=8-1

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

While it's nice, it doesn't have the magic that early 400/800 software had:

534446-energy-czar-atari-8-bit-front-cov

Atari at its finest.... Sweet!

The superlative, "hyperbolic" illustrations... yet dreamy and inviting... Can't beat it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Not a site, but the book THE ART OF ATARI and the accompanying poster book are awesome. Not 100% comprehensive, but lots of details about the art itself, the artists, and the various marketing campaigns.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Atari-Tim-Lapetino/dp/1524101036/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+Art+of+Atari&qid=1627084075&sr=8-1

Great book... I got.it and sometimes I just browse through and have a look on the art...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. :) After a lot of preprocessing b4 rasta-converting, I want to share my latest try of creating an A8-POP title screen.

Feel free to use, edit, change or whatever you want. ? 

POP_Title_RC_V3_scanlines.thumb.png.d74671eaa665fa91309319c66b83c835.png

Looks really nice on a pal machine rgb-connected to Commodore 1084 crt.

خداحافظ ?

POP_Title_RC_V3.xex POP_Title_RC_V3_files.zip

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, Mclaneinc said:

I'm too busy enjoying it to nitpick it....

I remember when Sheddy got some flack for the flicker on Space Harrier....Seriously folks, you are playing bloody Space Harrier on the Atari with great music and samples, let alone amazing visuals, just ignore the blooming flicker or play it on Altirra with Frame Blending..

Do I see and issue with POP...Yes, I need MORE of it :)

Seriously that is one of the games which was supposed to be impossible to do on the Atari.  Fun fact:  You can also play it using the Sophia board on a modern LCD TV without flicker as well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

Hey. :) After a lot of preprocessing b4 rasta-converting, I want to share my latest try of creating an A8-POP title screen.

Feel free to use, edit, change or whatever you want. ? 

POP_Title_RC_V3_scanlines.thumb.png.d74671eaa665fa91309319c66b83c835.png

Looks really nice on a pal machine rgb-connected to Commodore 1084 crt.

خداحافظ ?

POP_Title_RC_V3.xex 18.84 kB · 10 downloads POP_Title_RC_V3_files.zip 78.67 kB · 3 downloads

Simply excellent! (just checked on real HW through multiple video interfaces).

Looks solid, convincing (much more tasteful that the cheap-looking woman-and-thug version!)

Should display rather quick on cart-version, and with more patience on floppy-version, unless the underlying asset (xBios) could help load this particular file a bit faster, knowing upfront that is just code to display an image....)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

hmm... infinite loop again?

We've covered this before, the original is a terrible picture... so thanks but no thanks.

Btw, my piccolo tool gives better results with just 5 colors per line (no PMGs), still terrible though.

pop5c.png.e2157b969ffabb506c739dd3de42a3d0.png

pop_title_rej.obx

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I think the traditional Prince Of Persia picture looks fine, I don't see anything 'terrible' about it whatsoever?

See this post for detailed information :

Most people don't understand why, but rensoup doesn't like that image; and he decides. 

15 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Most people don't understand why, but rensoup doesn't like that image; and he decides. 

All I stated is that I don't see anything terrible regarding the traditional image. Rensoup is entitled to his opinion, developer or not, I care for it as much as I'm sure he cares for mine.

Bear in mind that nowhere in that comment did I even hint at the suggestion the image should be changed.

Edited by Mazzspeed

11 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

I personally really like the image conversion from Mario, the palette work very nicely with that image.
The one rensoupp made, however, it is a lot more colourful, so that one is a winner for me :D

but if you download the obx file and run it you will see his true feeling about his picture... he sees it as a hot mess and stamped it quality rejected...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

but if you download the obx file and run it you will see his true feeling about his picture... he sees it as a hot mess and stamped it quality rejected...

LOL I did not even know until you mentioned it, and sure enough, there's a big ass stamp on the image ?

image.thumb.png.83f5e1530e2cb95217f20142d20d5261.png

• Haha 4

Yes, either elegant brown and gold version converted by MARIO130XE, or rensoupp's own are "true" PoP title screens, for me look great, fit the game perfectly and just cut it.

But if the Author sees them as terrible, I sincerely hope the "mouse of Persia" is just the temp. placeholder and will be replaced by something both better and not degrading his otherwise incredible Atari conversion.

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

Yes, either elegant brown and gold version converted by MARIO130XE, or rensoupp's own are "true" PoP title screens, for me look great, fit the game perfectly and just cut it.

But if the Author sees them as terrible, I sincerely hope the "mouse of Persia" is just the temp. placeholder and will be replaced by something both better and not degrading his otherwise incredible Atari conversion.

No way.

Bathroom tiles is the impression author has.

So why not use the one I proposed from @MrFish?

520617357_MrFishpicturelogoscreen.png.273d058da8e8675f1da389257ed7786a.thumb.png.11e01f3755dd81d29116fa6e9714301b.png

This one hasn't the 'so called' bathroom tiles. 

But haven't even received an answer "No!" in what seems there's no place for others on the credits...

:thumbsdown:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 6