IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

40 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Guys, leave the decision to the project leader. There is always space for "hacking" the game after the release to replace what you don't like ;-)

Yes, I'll replace final title screen with some sentences about title screen from this thread to remind myself how important he is :]

• Like 1

Is it so hard to understand that a man who put so much effort into this project will not screw up such thing as the title screen?!

Carrion reportedly drew this screen, but his proposal fell off. For me, it means that what @rensoup looking for something special but not for some mockup.

• Like 1

I can understand why software like W.A.R. gets ported to the Atari and the first we hear about it is when it hits Indie Retro News. I can't blame @Fandaland @Poison for not saying anything about it here. Who needs to put up with the chimps flinging poo on this forum. 

c3a2bb10-f319-4b90-a89e-362b0815caab_text.gif.76da6b27812aefc5d20c62297eedcfe7.gif

giphy.gif.0971858fa6d32930103fda5c16e9251c.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

WOW.

You're pretty qualified at shitting on people's work and clueless about the tech obviously.

The BBC prince frames have less colors and run at half the resolution but your expert eye didn't notice I guess.

TIX redrew them all and they're pretty much the best looking sprites of all 8bit versions now.

I am very partial to the large breasts the princess now has.  I never knew 3 pixels could be so exciting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

49 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Awwwww yes !!! One of my most favourite movies !

make it so ! And let’s name the game Gobbler’s Knob instead of PoP ?

The main character can be known as Abdul Gobble My Knobee, to keep the Persian theme!

• Haha 2

Finally got a chance to play the 6/19 Megacart version tonight (has the mouse spin) on my 130XE Rev-C w/320K NTSC machine via AVG Cart.

Worked great - the animation is very nice and smooth

Im terrible at the game so I didnt get very far but kudo's on the work so far!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, STE'86 said:

Today i was looking at the past few pages, i was struck by the title image that Jose posted and was inspired to think that something like this could work. colour selection and conversion permitting obviously

Ohhh that's another very good one in my opinion!
If the black space could be filled with some Persian mosaic/artwork that would look really pretty for sure.

51 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

Ohhh that's another very good one in my opinion!
If the black space could be filled with some Persian mosaic/artwork that would look really pretty for sure.

That one is really nice.

I kinda like the blackspace - it fits with the nocturnal setting of the game, and has something of a peeking-through-the-keyhole feel to it.  Gives it a sense-of-mystery air :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

That one is really nice.

I kinda like the blackspace - it fits with the nocturnal setting of the game, and has something of a peeking-through-the-keyhole feel to it.  Gives it a sense-of-mystery air :)

Personally I see a muffin with a purple hue and I can't help but wonder if there were bakers in Ancient Persia... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

So it's a competition. The port is visually remarkably similar to the BBC port it's based on with the exception of color, and I'm tipping the BBC port was chosen as it was the easiest 6502 example to port to the A8. I don't personally view texturing on the bricks as 'great graphics' and game play is identical to any other well done port out there.

Wow I rarely comment here, but this is too much..

you didn't notice that the sprites are redrawn from scratch, yet you are able to dissect any insignificant detail !

you must be some special kind of a rain-man !!

I'm hard pressed not to abandon the project, as I have already invested 2 years of my life..

So why don't you step back, shut up and enjoy the free game ?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I can understand why software like W.A.R. gets ported to the Atari and the first we hear about it is when it hits Indie Retro News. I can't blame @Fandaland @Poison for not saying anything about it here.

He probably learned from his previous experience as he published StuntCarRacer - a very similar shitstorm met him there. Unfortunately, there are some "helpers" in the community who know better than the author how he should deliver the game to them as if it was their duty and if he doesn't conform, after publication they will find someone to "fix" what is needed - it's a new form of blackmail  ;-) exactly the same thing is happening here...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TIX said:

I'm hard pressed not to abandon the project

Don't even think of that.

Your sprites re-mastering is on a class-of-its-own.

Those bouncy-boobs take up (as far as I can see) a staggering 14 (fourteen) pixels, which is already a feat! ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TIX said:

Wow I rarely comment here, but this is too much..

you didn't notice that the sprites are redrawn from scratch, yet you are able to dissect any insignificant detail !

you must be some special kind of a rain-man !!

I'm hard pressed not to abandon the project, as I have already invested 2 years of my life..

So why don't you step back, shut up and enjoy the free game ?

Good job.

One of the worst ways to try and obtain credibility for your work is to criticize the work of others. When people call the original artwork "terrible" and refer to the brickwork graphics of the original port as "Bathroom tiles" (The reason the stones are blue is because I assume they are to represent blue stone, in both size and shape. Blue stone generally isn't shaped and textured like house bricks), they actually loose credibility. Now understand that I'm not stating this is the case regarding yourself, but it's definitely the case regarding someone here and it's largely un-nessecary if not slightly disappointing.

All that needs to be said is "I like the artwork, and it's my game. Sorry all".

EDIT: I found a port that sucks:

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Prince_Of_Persia

Furthermore, I'm playing the A8 variant on a Sophia 2 equipped 600XL on a 19" LCD monitor and another on BeebEm in a little Window on a 4k monitor. As stated, I haven't seen a PoP port that sucks, and that still holds true.

Edited by Mazzspeed

1 minute ago, zbyti said:

Because they don't care about the game, they care about his own visions :P

And you lack a certain degree of comprehension, as I never stated the artwork should be changed.

For the record, this is what I stated:

I think the traditional Prince Of Persia picture looks fine, I don't see anything 'terrible' about it whatsoever?

7 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

well... it looks like the graphics for NTSC artifacting so I doubt this screenshot reflects the actual display quality. 

I seriously hope that's the case! However Commodore machines were never big on artifacting? Having said that, I've never really done much +4 gaming - I should really change that. ;)

EDIT: The link states PAL only?

Edited by Mazzspeed