IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

I think, @rensoup is doing a great, no ... he's doing an awesome job. I also think, POP for the A8 will be a milestone of all platformer, jump 'n run and cartographing games ever. My contribution of title was just an offer. So I'm not disappointed. So any other helper shouldn't  feel disappointed if the help will be rejected. He's still the 'producer' and he still will chose (I'm sure) the best title screen, the best sound bank and the best font and still the best what ever for this great game.

I'm still thankful, he's still working on it after all the toxic and can't wait for the final release.

peace

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, zbyti said:

People are really lucky that the @rensoup isn't as malicious as I am :D 

In the current (forum) situation, I would finish development of the game but not release it, maybe I would give it to some friends and that's it :D 

Let's assume that for every "poo thrower" here stands 50 people who do not post here and silently wait for the finished game.

I love it. I always loved Karateka and felt unbelievably "left out" without a PoP conversion on the A8.
It was what I was craving for BITD to show to my bloody C64 "comrades" to prove "my machine" was better......

Luckily I've grown up now.

Still...it does look miles better...I KNEW the A8 could do this ! ......... hahahahahahaha !

[Damn....where did I leave my pills ?]

Well done to all and please do not let the negatives tip the scale...there's a whole lot of positives not written....

IMHO A8 PoP is history being re-written......

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I seriously hope that's the case! However Commodore machines were never big on artifacting? Having said that, I've never really done much +4 gaming - I should really change that. ;)

EDIT: The link states PAL only?

thats ported from the speccy version and has nothing to do with artifacting.

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

Wow... Anybody who can't tell the BBC and Atari version apart is either blind or a troll.

bbc-running.gif.9b826621c04b548ce9689393bd304046.giftest11.gif.7a0548893284abd18ef3ff6c5dc3a321.gif

ahhhh, thats very clever, the sprites are probably being stored "half height" to preserve RAM and expanded up at run time. the beeb mode they are using is 160x256 and has more colour depth than the a8 but at an enormous relative cost in ram at 20k per screen. so storing all those sprites in "a8" res would have been a huge memory sink.

very sneaky. i am impressed. maybe I will find someone to do bbc IK+ afterall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STE'86 said:

has more colour depth than the a8 but at an enormous relative cost

...With purple-skin, and turquiose-pants, that would be horrible-looking color-depth (or palette), that is... (without ever taking for granted the substantial effort put in by Bitshifters team and the inherent limitations and trade-offs that had to deal with when making it happen on the BBC platform).

Looking much, much better on the A8... and let's not even talk about the Palace scene...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, STE'86 said:

very sneaky. i am impressed. maybe I will find someone to do bbc IK+ afterall.

@pavros will finish his incredible IK+ conversion at some point, it'll still take time, but he assured the project is not abandoned ?

http://www.uce.pl/ikplus/downloads.html

However it never harms to have two conversions ?

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, STE'86 said:

thats ported from the speccy version and has nothing to do with artifacting.

Are you sure?

1. The graphics of ZX Spectrum version is different https://popuw.com/spectrum.html

2. This version has a lot of vertical lines in high-resolution which in NTSC are giving artifact colors, like e.g. here http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/screens/ultima_4_us_gold_5.gif

37 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Are you sure?

1. The graphics of ZX Spectrum version is different https://popuw.com/spectrum.html

2. This version has a lot of vertical lines in high-resolution which in NTSC are giving artifact colors, like e.g. here http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/screens/ultima_4_us_gold_5.gif

It's a PAL port in the link I posted, not an NTSC port.

Edited by Mazzspeed

31 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Are you sure?

It's from back when pinstripes and polka dots were were REALLY popular.

frank.thumb.jpg.f3e4bd0a2e2dfb17b02484e3955525ac.jpg

Edited by MrFish
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, rensoup said:

Wow... Anybody who can't tell the BBC and Atari version apart is either blind or a troll.

bbc-running.gif.9b826621c04b548ce9689393bd304046.giftest11.gif.7a0548893284abd18ef3ff6c5dc3a321.gif

Wow...Anyone that thinks the term remarkably similar has the same meaning as identical in relation to the basis of the port is either struggling with comprehension or a troll.

This was my quote that started you on your flaming bandwagon, and I still stand by it:

I think the traditional Prince Of Persia picture looks fine, I don't see anything 'terrible' about it whatsoever?

Edited by Mazzspeed

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

@pavros will finish his incredible IK+ conversion at some point, it'll still take time, but he assured the project is not abandoned ?

There hasn't been a release of that, or any news, for over a decade, at this rate it won't be finished before we all die of old age!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Faicuai said:

...With purple-skin, and turquiose-pants, that would be horrible-looking color-depth (or palette), that is... (without ever taking for granted the substantial effort put in by Bitshifters team and the inherent limitations and trade-offs that had to deal with when making it happen on the BBC platform).

Looking much, much better on the A8... and let's not even talk about the Palace scene...

colour depth is not palette its the amount of different colours each pixel can have on screen at the same time. in this mode the bbc can do 16 nominally but 8 in reality. the a8 cant match 8 in its bitmap mode so the bbc has better colour depth but a far far less flexible palette.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

after 10 years inactive, that is NOT going to get done. you are deluding yourself. Coders do not just pick up after 10 years, they would have to do it all again from scratch as they wouldnt make head or tail of what they were doing at the time.

• Like 1

Sorry to interrupt as I have a game related question.

So far my command of the joystick control is shaky at best.  With some more practice Ill get the jump control down.  On the original Apple version were there keyboard controls for PoP or was it always a joystick control game?

• Like 1

Like @STE'86 said, after all this time, picking up that code again will be like starting from scratch.

I hope pavros does it, but I don't expect it. I worry about Rick Dangerous going the same way, that was one of my top games from bitd and it looks so close to being done, but there haven't been any updates for years.

I still play IK+ on the Atari now. the last version is usable but buggy, it's quite the achievement and if that's where pavros stops it will still be good enough. I would still like to see it finished though!

7 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Like @STE'86 said, after all this time, picking up that code again will be like starting from scratch.

I hope pavros does it, but I don't expect it. I worry about Rick Dangerous going the same way, that was one of my top games from bitd and it looks so close to being done, but there haven't been any updates for years.

I still play IK+ on the Atari now. the last version is usable but buggy, it's quite the achievement and if that's where pavros stops it will still be good enough. I would still like to see it finished though!

Maybe we can get Archer MacLean to finish it ?

:D

he was pretty good at programming the A8……(see Dropzone and…..ah …..IK). 

he also loved the A8 a lot over the C64 and he’s a fun guy….I had the pleasure of meeting him and man does he have a lot of fun stories from BITD.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goochman said:

Sorry to interrupt as I have a game related question.

So far my command of the joystick control is shaky at best.  With some more practice Ill get the jump control down.  On the original Apple version were there keyboard controls for PoP or was it always a joystick control game?

I always assumed it was keyboard control in first instance…..after Apple 2 didn’t have joysticks ports standard…

you need to “plan ahead” your moves with the joystick on the A8…..think keyboard, but move stick…