IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

because of all the other noise that was present, I think wires get crossed and we don't always follow along in the threads as we might.

@MrFish the screen is nice and I think @rensoup is interested in using it, I am not sure if it's meant the picolo tool is a must because of a format that's already established so the display can be simply be swapped out or some other reason so things flow along nicely on the already existing framework, or just a suggestion to help with picking predominate colors for the mode

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 8/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, emkay said:

You mean that overpixellated

LMFAO - says someone who mentions MODE D chunky 160*100 resolution in every thread which you're not posting out of tune music in.  That is beyond funny.  MODE D, MODE D - oh shit - Apple, don't use a chunky resolution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

LMFAO - says someone who mentions MODE D chunky 160*100 resolution in every thread which you're not posting out of tune music in.  That is beyond funny.  MODE D, MODE D - oh shit - Apple, don't use a chunky resolution.

You are definitely using the wrong 8 bit. 

Btw. How much do you pay every month to have the right to troll without consequences?

I'm asking, because you have the subscriber status, and I wonder for what reason.

The point is that this type of trolling is exact contrary to what the Atari is capable of. 

THE game on the Atari is Rescue on Fractalus. It uses ANTIC Mode D and acts really like a 3D game. 

Does this look "overpixellated" ?

Sorry, rensoup for the off topic. 

But our best friend Stephen gave a precious example of how things go... referring to the "Moderator" thread.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, emkay said:

But our best friend Stephen gave a precious example of how things go... referring to the "Moderator" thread.

A short parenthesis, trying to tie this loose-end, for once and all:

@Albert

Now that sincere efforts to enhance moderation seem to be at play, consider post #2555 (right above), as a simple / practical case-study of what precisely triggers the breakdown of any discussion / thread (without mentioning a total disregard for thread-owner's pleas).

From post #9, on our "Request for moderator's" thread, the following principles have all been crossed, in one single stroke:

• flagrant ad-hominem attacks, with the intention of degrading the poster, at any cost.
  • profusely resorting to vulgarity when addressing opposing-concepts and pursuing above practice.
  • active harassment of contrarian ideas and posters, when those subject to such treatment never engaged in such harassment.
  • Constantly bringing off-topic arguments that do not solidify or enrich any valid discussion point.

Practically, we already know that the overall best solution is to simply not spend a single iota on such non-sense, but, at the end of the day, every action has a matching reaction

To  break that cycle, this example may be a good reminder of why the rules (whatever they end up being) need to be truly hardened and specified crystal-clear, in black-and-white, unambiguously. Otherwise, they will simply get abused, time-after-time, no matter how large the moderator-pool is. 

NO need at all to reply this post. Hopefully we can now go back to our regular PoP programming, and maybe on a clean slate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STE'86 said:

bye then.

@rensoup, is there a technical reason why u cant use a tinted version of the excellent greyscale image that Rune came up with as a design? he is using black, 3 greys and white highlight. did it fail to convert using those 5 colours?

It's a truly great picture (and very complex/impossible to colorize), but tinting it would be like a downgrade. So I'd have prefered it being simplified.

The A8 is more limited than the C64 for colorful pictures but still, more than 5 colors per line is possible, you just can't waste those colors on less important elements (like the frame). You can have 5 dominant colors and 1 to 4 pockets of extra colors per line. So adapting to fit those requirements is essential.

It's my guess folks are used to a title screen that stands on it's own and then either sits there while the game loads or goes to another screen w/ loader after it. I can see how/why folks get befuddled. Not sure how or why that isn't the case with POP but at this point all I hear in my head is get on with it.

All the discussion is odd. 

rensoup did a rather unique job, and so it is his own opinion that counts. 

The only thing that nags me is that I always have to set SFX Bank 2 by hand when starting the game ;)

Actually , I wonder why he is getting so involved in supporting so many expansions. 

Without that, the game might have been finished already. 

If expansions don't work with such a game, it is a problem of the expansions.

As long as it runs on a stock Atari from a stock floppy drive,  or from a plugged cart, everything should be fine. 

The arts in the game are fabulous, and also, there is NO comparision, as there exist not a dot of a compareable game on the Atari. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, emkay said:

The only thing that nags me is that I always have to set SFX Bank 2 by hand when starting the game ;)

bank selection will be randomized at boot (with user input)

15 hours ago, emkay said:

Actually , I wonder why he is getting so involved in supporting so many expansions. 

I'm not supporting any special extensions, just made sure that it worked properly with the supported cart/disk formats. It wasn't the biggest hurdle and wouldn't have made that much of a difference to the schedule but it sure was a trolling fest.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, rensoup said:

It wasn't the biggest hurdle and wouldn't have made that much of a difference to the schedule

My friend - I'll tell you this much.  I code full time as my job, and I would rather be pressed up against any holiday (or whatever other arbitrary excuse they use for a) deadline rather than endure that last shit-storm you did.  Now when I see your avatar, I picture you chugging vodka to dull the pain :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, emkay said:

well, there is still the task of finishing the sprite frames..  copying and pasting from the BBC takes time  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, TIX said:

well, there is still the task of finishing the sprite frames..  copying and pasting from the BBC takes time  ?

Must be for the upcoming 8 bit P.O.P. movie... the whole thing done in Rensoup and TIX's flavour of 8 bit artistry. Best 3 hours you'll spend in a movie theatre!

bet it would go viral and then they'd be famous and have no time for this stuff no more! cash raining down on them etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__
viral fun

will this convert? Note this is not mine it's Rune's i have just stripped it down a bit to enable it to maybe conform to a8. apologies to rune for the solid logo as i didnt have yours in bits to mess with.

I am doing this only because this is far and away the best looking composition in this thread for a different title screen.

sepia.png

• Like 11

1 hour ago, STE'86 said:

I am doing this only because this is far and away the best looking composition in this thread for a different title screen.

Well the cat's out the bag... 

Still the A8 can do a little better in terms of colors per line, but there's too much base detail, so you can only colorize one of the two characters unfortunately (and barely)...

I see you removed the frame, but that's not enough. My best guess would be to leave the princess tinted but only colorize the prince and probably/potentially/possibly rotate his arm so that the sword is oriented more vertically (a bit more like the snes boxart).

I did ask Sparkler a long time ago but he never followed up...

1 hour ago, STE'86 said:

will this convert? Note this is not mine it's Rune's i have just stripped it down a bit to enable it to maybe conform to a8. apologies to rune for the solid logo as i didnt have yours in bits to mess with.

sepia.png

Prince of pcnsla ?

The image looks great. And there are vertically 22 more possible.

IMO the title should be readable on a title screen.  

• Like 2