IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Comparing them side-by-side (or, in this case, top-to-bottom):

sepia.png.f55d5ca3e01b854793fd559c30999e7e.png

pop.png.17efc21de8a3e7412f7fb6c09ed1de51.png

My preference is still for the top one.  The bottom one is good, don't get me wrong, but the blue in the background distracts somewhat from the rest of the image to my eye.  It takes away some of the subtlety.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, STE'86 said:

yeah, the problem is the greys are not really grey, they are all simply tonal placeholders for light,medium,dark shades for each element. so managing to preserve them all is obviously not going to help you in the end as very few of them would stay grey in the ideal final image.

this is a PRIOR0 test, where PMG colors are ORed with Playfield colors.

You get 3 colors with a single PMG for (PM0/1) but with restrictions. If you used anything other than greys, there would be even more harsher restrictions.

Nothing wrong with a grey shirt and turban... but yeah I can't colorize the princess' skin

Edited by rensoup

6 hours ago, rensoup said:

You'd probably waste all the PMGs on that white color. It's generally not a good idea to convert a single color to PMG

This is a test I did (using my tool), and that's about as many colors as I could get. As you can see, I got a blue background and kept all 5 greys

pop_colored.png.68249abe3a4928f28eed20aae63bab7f.png

This looks damn good on the image side. Particular on a PAL CRT it might look thankful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Comparing them side-by-side (or, in this case, top-to-bottom):

sepia.png.f55d5ca3e01b854793fd559c30999e7e.png

pop.png.17efc21de8a3e7412f7fb6c09ed1de51.png

My preference is still for the top one.  The bottom one is good, don't get me wrong, but the blue in the background distracts somewhat from the rest of the image to my eye.  It takes away some of the subtlety.

blue darker and title pushed up or picture pushed down a bit keeps the 3d feel and would let the title read better

16 hours ago, rensoup said:

You'd probably waste all the PMGs on that white color. It's generally not a good idea to convert a single color to PMG

This is a test I did (using my tool), and that's about as many colors as I could get. As you can see, I got a blue background and kept all 5 greys

pop_colored.png.68249abe3a4928f28eed20aae63bab7f.png

Best overall, by far...

...The most "cinematic", most dimensional of all renderings, also the more Atari-like... could definitely play with sword's alignment with title...

The mouse could be between (slightly enlarged) boobs, peeking out with his own teeny-weenie sword, or in the princess' hands...

But that's about it... Hard to imagine to get it that much better than this!

????

• Like 1

what? apart from the fact thats as much colour as he can get on it its bloody wonderful yes.

unfortunately its about 1/3 done and cant get any better.

we can all do "fantasy island" art but unfortunately there isnt one of those modes on the a8 so compromise is the name of the game.

Ok. here's me again.

Thanks @fantômas for posting his work. The white seems really important so using the .g2f I could get the picture in real chars boundaries (216scanlines tall so have 1charline on top and 2charlines on bottom blank).

Get PF3 on all palace behind more the girl clothe then I could get also PF3 on top and a 2nd new colour on the letters (having to use P2&P3 for prince hand).

here's the result:

-> PFs only:

1634953806_PoPpicturebyfantomas_remakedPFsonly.png.e2b2b43456cc2ce2c3ddc2ea3f5f1dba.png

-> PMGs only:

1256547789_PoPpicturebyfantomas_remakedPMGsonly.png.daca5cf9243dbc92417674d9161af9d3.png

So the result is:

PoP picture by fantomas _remaked.g2f

PoP picture by fantomas _remaked.xex

470887323_PoPpicturebyfantomas_remaked.png.cc730a1de2e7792e5b433d1a622b609a.png

There's some more I think possibilities on pixels to have the PMGs where white aren't used...

:thumbsup:

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, José Pereira said:

Ok. here's me again

Thanks @fantômas

(...) This 

So the result is:

PoP picture by fantomas _remaked.g2f 10.9 kB · 5 downloads

PoP picture by fantomas _remaked.xex 18.76 kB · 7 downloads

There's some more I think possibilities on pixels to have the PMGs where white aren't used...

This is absolutely amazing. That golden look was good already, now with some additional colours it's even better. And dark blue palace in the background adds the feeling of mystery. Stunning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, José Pereira said:

Ok. here's me again.

Thanks @fantômas for posting his work. The white seems really important so using the .g2f I could get the picture in real chars boundaries (216scanlines tall so have 1charline on top and 2charlines on bottom blank).

Get PF3 on all palace behind more the girl clothe then I could get also PF3 on top and a 2nd new colour on the letters (having to use P2&P3 for prince hand).

here's the result:

-> PFs only:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c681634953806_PoPpicturebyfantomas_remakedPFsonly.png.e2b2b43456cc2ce2c3ddc2ea3f5f1dba.png

-> PMGs only:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c681256547789_PoPpicturebyfantomas_remakedPMGsonly.png.daca5cf9243dbc92417674d9161af9d3.png

So the result is:

PoP picture by fantomas _remaked.g2f 10.9 kB · 9 downloads

PoP picture by fantomas _remaked.xex 18.76 kB · 12 downloads

Woah, that looks REALLY good!

Now this is something I'd absolutely love to see booting up the game.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, emkay said:

Btw. If such an image is possible in the game, and the height is limited.

Why not changing the upper part of the image, using high res and get the possibility of creating a smaller Title, to make it readable?

You have to realize that this is the initial revision of the picture, which Sparkler sent me over a year and half ago and never updated after that. 

So yeah changes would be possible, and even required to make it work...

You people need to understand that this picture is not being actively worked on.

Whatever's going to be the final pic, I have no idea but if you see the mouse in the final version, it just means that nothing else worked out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, STE'86 said:

what? apart from the fact thats as much colour as he can get on it its bloody wonderful yes.

unfortunately its about 1/3 done and cant get any better.

we can all do "fantasy island" art but unfortunately there isnt one of those modes on the a8 so compromise is the name of the game.

Compromises ? sure, it's all about compromises but also playing on the HW' strengths rather than insisting on its weaknesses.

Not all compromises have to be about reducing color count. Detail can also be reduced like you did with the logo. The sword could be reoriented or taken out. The princess could be in shadows to avoid having to color her.

But that's a discussion I should be having with its author, not anybody else.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1