IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

On 9/17/2021 at 6:04 PM, José Pereira said:

Ok. any colour can be there so any suggestions welcome...

IMHO “we” shouldn’t try to cram as much colours in as we can, just because “we” can.

the green on the top of the letters look totally out of place for me. Green isn’t a colour which fits to the theme. It’s a cool colour….. Persia is never cool but always hot….IMHO a gradient of the yellows would be much better.

just MHO.

2 hours ago, Level42 said:

My screenshots, RGB through Sophia 1, Bang & Olufsen MX8000 CRT TV.

No idea why there now is a vertical line on the left ? Wasn’t there with earlier versions.

First one is NTSC ANTIC , second PAL ANTIC.

5D7ACA21-2FFE-4E03-8F65-A19BF38A9699.jpeg

2C868230-E53F-4CE5-A366-54D8B27EC183.jpeg

Top reminds me C64 colors (hide and run…) and bottom one Amstrad CPC ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

From Sophia-2, standard NTSC color-palette, DVI-D interface on Viewsonic VP-950pro LCD monitor, on ~4:3 aspect ratio:

0BB8A120-7CB5-4404-A6E7-64C8C7C40118.thumb.jpeg.8a6a6a7d61042e18d3165cc9d4a7dd3f.jpeg

The problem here is how Sophia-2 decodes hue $01 with default NTSC palette, which this image makes extensive use of. Hue $01 appears parrot-green/yellow (colorimetrically correct), instead of gold-yellow (perceptually correct). Same issue if rendered over Y/C on the analog-side of my video path (also on secondary VP950pro).

This significant shortcoming can be fixed with a simple correction on existing NTsC palette (up to 15 user-definable) but, to this day, I have yet to see.a SINGLE sample file showing its structure and how such palette should look like, in numbers.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, Level42 said:

IMHO “we” shouldn’t try to cram as much colours in as we can, just because “we” can.

the green on the top of the letters look totally out of place for me. Green isn’t a colour which fits to the theme. It’s a cool colour….. Persia is never cool but always hot….IMHO a gradient of the yellows would be much better.

just MHO.

The reason for green is that green (A8 palette colour_D) fits well with the yellow (next colour, the _E).

I also don't like it and tried many combinations but none was looking well.

Yellow can't be removed there so what to do? I did two other options (pale and browns) and contacted some people on here to know the opinion but they, though still agree that green isn't good, these also maybe not (too dark/pale VS the rest of the picture under the logo):

1893043277_PoPimage_final_palegreenishlogo.png.d7d494467e2e66f955e50a8cb20f6a4c.png

PoP image _final _pale greenish logo.xex PoP image _final _pale greenish logo.g2f

1992862412_PoPimage_final_brownishlogo.png.14f4fdd019372c24fb8223cb4b9a660f.png

PoP image _final _brownish logo.xexPoP image _final _brownish logo.g2f

Now posting them here I am rethinking... maybe the browns can be ok. Opinions?

P.s.- Anyothers like 'missing' yellow with others don't think so.

I thought in 'BBC/CPC like/RGB type of' but does this look good that y ellow under isn't this way too different than the top two(of course that the luminances can be changed to less or more dark):

2053216539_PoPimage_final_sortofBBCElectron.png.5ab0a767ee4dc0ef7053d71085bd3b62.png 784986088_PoPimage_final_sortofRGB.png.f82e59bd62223a1b6bab9e214f7fbcc6.png

Opinions?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

784986088_PoPimage_final_sortofRGB.png.f82e59bd62223a1b6bab9e214f7fbcc6.png

Opinions?

For what it's worth, I like this one the best. PRINCE of PcnSIA ;)

I agree with Level42 that green is a bit out of place, although not all colors are "hot" in the game. Lots of blue ;)

Edited by ivop

On 9/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Level42 said:

My screenshots, RGB through Sophia 1, Bang & Olufsen MX8000 CRT TV.

No idea why there now is a vertical line on the left ? Wasn’t there with earlier versions.

First one is NTSC ANTIC , second PAL ANTIC.

5D7ACA21-2FFE-4E03-8F65-A19BF38A9699.jpeg

2C868230-E53F-4CE5-A366-54D8B27EC183.jpeg

21 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Top reminds me C64 colors (hide and run…) and bottom one Amstrad CPC ;)

16 hours ago, Faicuai said:

From Sophia-2, standard NTSC color-palette, DVI-D interface on Viewsonic VP-950pro LCD monitor, on ~4:3 aspect ratio:

0BB8A120-7CB5-4404-A6E7-64C8C7C40118.thumb.jpeg.8a6a6a7d61042e18d3165cc9d4a7dd3f.jpeg

The problem here is how Sophia-2 decodes hue $01 with default NTSC palette, which this image makes extensive use of. Hue $01 appears parrot-green/yellow (colorimetrically correct), instead of gold-yellow (perceptually correct). Same issue if rendered over Y/C on the analog-side of my video path (also on secondary VP950pro).

This significant shortcoming can be fixed with a simple correction on existing NTsC palette (up to 15 user-definable) but, to this day, I have yet to see.a SINGLE sample file showing its structure and how such palette should look like, in numbers.

The left side bars are because I'm using 48Bytes screen widest mode.

This is a real A8 machines problem.

Any game that is using this mode you get the BAK registers (here Top_black /DLI/ green /DLI/ red /DLI/ Bottom_black).

Most people don't notice it because old TVs and Monitors simply don't show these collumns (why usual Altirra with the pictures I post are normal seen [336x240]).

Just try, for example, downloading Bruce Lee (old and the new one) that is also using overscan mode that you'll see this.

So this is not a real problem to not use the picture.

Regarding the different (greenish) colours on NTSC is because these are for PAL. Of course coder have to detect and code the necessary adjustments to be for all in a good looking.

22 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

If dothers also for me is OK.

?

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. dothers?

It could be mothers whose name starts with a D.

It could be a man whose business is the transport of goods; haulier.

It could be a variant on dodders, which is a plant with wiry twining vines of the morning-glory family.

Or it could mean to tremble or shake from weakness or age, or to progress feebly and unsteadily.

:)

After much googling, I suppose you mean if the others are OK, so am I?

Edited by ivop
  • Haha 1

Yep.... this is the one for me. Showing in PAL only because colors were designed for it.

The letters are now much more in the atmosphere of the colors of the rest of the picture....warm and glowy....

Absolutely love it !!!!

IMG_2136.thumb.jpg.ed0389f25358f10df1c86c412ba86ece.jpg

Edited by Level42

22 hours ago, ivop said:

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. dothers?

It could be mothers whose name starts with a D.

It could be a man whose business is the transport of goods; haulier.

It could be a variant on dodders, which is a plant with wiry twining vines of the morning-glory family.

Or it could mean to tremble or shake from weakness or age, or to progress feebly and unsteadily.

:)

After much googling, I suppose you mean if the others are OK, so am I?

Of course is "others", was a wrong keypress.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Level42 said:

“This is a real A8 machines problem”………….

nope. It’s the other way around. 

by the way my B&O MX8000 is from between 2002 and 2006. Not sure if that’s considered “old” 

by the way 2: I really like the brown version.

No, what I intend is that old (old I consider 'back in the day' CRT TVs) you don't see much more wider than the 320x, around 8 more each side so makes the 336x I always post and is available on the Altirra emulator.

'Modern' I consider plan screen TVs so Lcd,... most show more than this and even the 384x with A8 wider display and is where you get those vertiocal bars when, like here, BAK colour register on the picture scanlines isn't black.

This is an own A8 machines 'bug' so all using this width mode you will probably see them.

P.s.- Follow my advice as I'm also curious to see, download Bruce Lee games (use 48Bytes wide mode) and post here wider screens. On game(s), though we see the black borders, on the playing area scanlines BAK colour regisater isn't black but other (don't remember wich is now). Black is always PF3 because the Ninja uses it as 5th Player mode 4Missiles together taking the PF3 colour. 

Thanks.

?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, José Pereira said:

No, what I intend is that old (old I consider 'back in the day' CRT TVs) you don't see much more wider than the 320x, around 8 more each side so makes the 336x I always post and is available on the Altirra emulator.

'Modern' I consider plan screen TVs so Lcd,... most show more than this and even the 384x with A8 wider display and is where you get those vertiocal bars when, like here, BAK colour register on the picture scanlines isn't black.

This is an own A8 machines 'bug' so all using this width mode you will probably see them.

P.s.- Follow my advice as I'm also curious to see, download Bruce Lee games (use 48Bytes wide mode) and post here wider screens. On game(s), though we see the black borders, on the playing area scanlines BAK colour regisater isn't black but other (don't remember wich is now). Black is always PF3 because the Ninja uses it as 5th Player mode 4Missiles together taking the PF3 colour. 

Thanks.

?

Aha OK. So the colour bar on the left wasn’t there before (in earliest versions of the picture) because it has less colours ?

what do you mean with “use 48Bytes mode” ?

About the B&O MX8000: this is a CRT TV but it’s one of the very last generation. It uses digital processing and has a lot of settings, especially in the service menu. This may explain that while it’s a CRT TV, it still,displays the colour line.

I’ll try Bruce Lee ASAP.

49 minutes ago, Level42 said:

what do you mean with “use 48Bytes mode” ?

ANTIC can generate 32 bytes wide lines, 40 bytes (which is the default, mostly), and 48 bytes, which is also needed for horizontal scrolling if you want keep the scrolled in characters/bytes outside of the visible area.

See $D400 in Mapping the Atari. DMACTL. Narrow playfield, normal playfield, and wide playfield.

1 hour ago, Level42 said:

Yeah but I can’t set that right, because he said “use 48 bytes”.

anyway Bruce Lee, PAL and NTSC.

looks like I need to adjust the picture a bit but I guess this is what José means…

Yes, he doesn't mean YOU have to use 48 bytes mode, but the program useS wide playfield.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Level42 said:

Yeah but I can’t set that right, because he said “use 48 bytes”.

anyway Bruce Lee, PAL and NTSC.

looks like I need to adjust the picture a bit but I guess this is what José means…

9C8E138D-0B79-4D46-8B6C-A5B8AA3C28BA.jpeg

62FA06F1-90EE-4141-BF3E-F739BA9BE8C2.jpeg

Thanks. That's it and as you can see the vertical colour bars are there.

What I was trying to say is that back then people with the old crt TVs don't see most of the side borders.

For example on the Bruce Lee you'll only see that vertical black sides near the playing area.

On your 2nd/bottom one you see that the vertical bar is almost unseen (it's not even a total single 1pixel 2:1 ratio vertical line, seems only about 2/3 the width of it) Is this bottom the PAL one?

P.s.- A computer that was the 1st (was or not? or the first ones anyway) to have overscan modes is difficult to understand they not fix and/or have this bug.

Also notice that is only on the left side as each scanline is done from left->right. Have read the explanation of this on the past but really not remember. Some of the experts around here can explain? Again ?☺️...

Thanks.

?

Just some more examples of the logo other colours/luminances:

-> Mixing colours:

1831521356_PoPimage_final_mixingcolours.png.2a59c4f66b3576be11ff97f9f7e8fc31.png

PoP image _final _mixing colours.xex

-> Red & Pink (sort of):

1175498685_PoPimage_final_redpink.png.9b01ac156112a53bf24de1d73ce941e6.png

PoP image _final _red & pink.xex

Will see some more are or not possible then will post all together to a final judge.

Untill then feel free to load, see and comment...

Thanks.

?

P.s.- Where's the coder that doesn't say nothing...

• Like 1