IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

• 2 weeks later...

The project is finally coming to an end... Safe to say everyone involved is fed up with it ?

The binaries will be released on october 12th(ish?)

In the meantime here's a comprehensive video (hosted on @VinsCool's YT channel, thanks much for the help!!). 

It contains spoilers regarding new content, although if you've been following the project there isn't that much new (but there is). 

So I'm posting the link but advising you not to watch !

• Like 22
  • Thanks 19

23 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Nice.  I have to say I admire you and the others that worked on this.  With so many projects left half-finished, you really kept at it.  Thanks for making this project come to be.

Thankfully I have 112 pages of cheerful people behind the project ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

So what's next?  (Runs, ducks, takes cover)

No idea but I'll make sure to avoid announcing it ?

31 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That intro is beautiful!  The fuji animation - nice!

Thanks, though I have nothing to do with the fuji anim (except the beautiul gradient): it's from one of the Xanth demos

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, rensoup said:

No idea but I'll make sure to avoid announcing it ?

Thanks, though I have nothing to do with the fuji anim (except the beautiul gradient): it's from one of the Xanth demos

Aha - yes, the Swan demo.  That's why it looked familiar.

• Like 1

Very nice intro, although I do think a different shade of blue would have been nicer………………

:D :D
Just kidding !!!

Amazing work on this by all, the entire A8 community should be VERY thankful for you guys seeing this through.

now…..awaiting first mouse intro screen comments…..????

Edited by Level42
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

So what's next?  (Runs, ducks, takes cover)

Well first of all, everyone who worked on PoP probably needs a 6 month retreat from any programming I guess but after that……

Might I suggest a “simple” conversion of Night Knight ? :D

A MSX home brew , but has recently been converted to C64 which may make things a bit easier (no idea really) ?

It’s a “simple” platformer but looks like a lot of fun and almost designed to be “easy” to convert to any platform…. The very small and detailed sprites may be a bit of a problem though ? I really like the way it is simple to pick up yet probably gets more and more challenging each stage. Even the simple tune repeating gives a feeling of an early 80s (arcade) game. Gameplay also looks to be very smooth…

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Level42 said:

Well first of all, everyone who worked on PoP probably needs a 6 month retreat from any programming I guess but after that……

A MSX home brew , but has recently been converted to C64 which may make things a bit easier (no idea really) ?

It’s a “simple” platformer but looks like a lot of fun and almost designed to be “easy” to convert to any platform…. The very small and detailed sprites may be a bit of a problem though ? I really like the way it is simple to pick up yet probably gets more and more challenging each stage. Even the simple tune repeating gives a feeling of an early 80s (arcade) game. Gameplay also looks to be very smooth…

That looks like it might be a good fit for the engine @MaPa used for RGB.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Level42 said:

After PoP seems to be final. 

Why again starting this nonsense?

6 hours ago, Level42 said:

The gameplay looks pretty much like Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory with updated graphics.

Anyway, back to the topic, looking forward to the release date! Everyone involved did a great job with the conversion. Even including some ideas and discussions in this thread, after applying a sophisticated filter.

• Like 2

Hi,

it will be difficult to wait to play such a jewel :) 

But compared to the hard and amazing work you've done, the waiting is nothing. Congratulations !?

I watched the video (twice) and I have a small question for you @rensoup: has the upside down potion been added like in the 1989 version (level 9) ?

B.T.W. I noticed two transparency minor effects in some places:

- When the prince jump from a slab.

- Sometimes the prince is behind the pillars and sometimes not.

POP.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rensoup said:

The project is finally coming to an end... Safe to say everyone involved is fed up with it ?

The binaries will be released on october 12th(ish?)

In the meantime here's a comprehensive video (hosted on @VinsCool's YT channel, thanks much for the help!!). 

It contains spoilers regarding new content, although if you've been following the project there isn't that much new (but there is). 

So I'm posting the link but advising you not to watch !

me as demo coder likes the intro. questions:

the bitbender DYCPer… how? that is  damned cool.

And the music base… is it HARD synth or RMT?

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Heaven/TQA said:

me as demo coder likes the intro. questions:

the bitbender DYCPer… how? that is  damned cool.

What does DYCPer mean?

By bitbender, I assume you mean the effect around the spinning Fuji logo.

The circle scroll, I know. I have made one back in the nineties, but it was never released. Basically, you clear the bytes where the circle will be displayed with an unrolled loop (lda #0, sta everything). Then there's an unrolled loop that does just lda mem, ora #mask, sta mem. For a circle of N pixels, times characters of 8 bits high (just an example), you need N*8 of these. Each mask represents one pixel. The ORA opcode will be modified to a harmless instruction, like ldx. Then, there's the scroll routine. Unrolled loop that moves the ORA/LDX opcodes to their next positions, and you scroll in eight new bits. Repeat for each frame.

Now the wavy scroll. I think that's the same, but the circle is a sine wave going from right to left instead. Add some hardware scrolling, and it looks more wavy :)

The improved Bounty Bob Strikes Back effect, I do not know.

And the music base…

Davie504 does not approve spelling BASS as base ;)

is it HARD synth or RMT?

AFAIK it's plain POKEY.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1