IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

8 hours ago, Level42 said:

... look here for the official MSX original page:

https://www.usebox.net/jjm/night-knight/

programmers info is there too, and he agreed with the C64 conversion.

I've talked to Juan, says he's not interested in another conversion. C64 and Spectrum next "were exception to the rule" and another one would be too much.

He likes to code games for certain platform and use it's strengths. I respect that very much.

That said, there's nothing stopping us from making a similar game with brand new a8 gfx etc.

Then with using A8 strong sides it could look like this :)

ChinnyVision - Episode 25 - RGB - A New Game For The Atari XL/XE - YouTube

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Well if looking for a big challenge like PoP maybe The Last Ninja?  isnt that the one game folks didnt think was possible on the 8bit?

At least the soundtrack could be done with today's tools ;)

And on the Graphics part, the game window has a rather limited size. And there are never too much moving objects around.  

Edited by emkay

48 minutes ago, emkay said:

If not too much is going on, hires is a feature

High resolution requires a LOT of p/m-overlays in order to generate the colors necessary. For indoor-scenes this may be possible, but outdoors? I mean there are lots and lots of different objects with different colors on the same horizontal line: trees, bushes, stones, buildings and so on.

Edited by Schnurrikowski

Wait what ?????

my post have been removed ?????

Way to go mods,

you remove posts from members of the development team, yet you put up for months to the groveling, abusive, weeping posts of your little buddies ??

Congratulations for your tight moderation  ?  you are hilarious !

Edited by TIX

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Wait what ?????

my post have been removed ?????

Way to go mods,

you remove posts from members of the development team, yet you put up for months to the groveling, abusive, weeping posts of your little buddies ??

Congratulations for your tight moderation  ?  you are hilarious !

Only because I removed the post you were quoting. 

Dammed if I do, Dammed if I don't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Schnurrikowski said:

High resolution requires a LOT of p/m-overlays in order to generate the colors necessary. For indoor-scenes this may be possible, but outdoors? I mean there are lots and lots of different objects with different colors on the same horizontal line: trees, bushes, stones, buildings and so on.

In High Resolution you can have up to 12 colors per scanline without a DLI or any other trick. 

11 minutes ago, emkay said:

In High Resolution you can have up to 12 colors per scanline without a DLI or any other trick. 

At first I though, how? But you are right. Background, PF background, PF foreground, 5 PMG colors which is eight in total. But you can get mix colors if players overlap. At least four, but perhaps more?

26 minutes ago, ivop said:

At first I though, how? But you are right. Background, PF background, PF foreground, 5 PMG colors which is eight in total. But you can get mix colors if players overlap. At least four, but perhaps more?

Yes, you can get even more. And, some midline changes would also be allowed, as there are not that much moving objects around.

Music should be done using the LZSS player. So there is a lot CPU power usable for a lot colors. 

13 hours ago, popmilo said:

I've talked to Juan, says he's not interested in another conversion. C64 and Spectrum next "were exception to the rule" and another one would be too much.

He likes to code games for certain platform and use it's strengths. I respect that very much.

That said, there's nothing stopping us from making a similar game with brand new a8 gfx etc.

Then with using A8 strong sides it could look like this :)

ChinnyVision - Episode 25 - RGB - A New Game For The Atari XL/XE - YouTube

I never suggested that the original programmer would do the A8 conversion..... ;) Only that he would give his blessing if one would be done.

He's not an A8 programmer anyway so there are probably folks who will be better known with the A8....

Yep... I thought if RGB is possible than a version of Night Knight would be possible too :)

19 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Yep... I thought if RGB is possible than a version of Night Knight would be possible too :)

I'm still wondering why coder propose this?

RGB is one of my most appreciated games for the Atari. But it is in no way usable for other games.

The game uses a character cluster trick to have several moving objects on the screen. 

You might recognize that there is no graphics behind the enemies. 

20 minutes ago, Level42 said:

OK, then just remove the "shadowed" bricks behind the enemies.....wouldn't hurt gameplay the least bit.

By the way, can you remind me of what games you programmed for the A8 ? (this is a serious question).

As particular this thread shows, the answer doesn't matter.

I must say that your English does match your brain. 

No one understands it.

Just reading the Albert thread again, and I can't believe how you seem able to shit around about every thread you appear on.

Do this community a favor and find a high/tall/big building to jump off....

10 minutes ago, Level42 said:

I must say that your English does match your brain. 

No one understands it.

Just reading the Albert thread again, and I can't believe how you seem able to shit around about every thread you appear on.

Do this community a favor and find a high/tall/big building to jump off....

You're a really nice guy. Hats off...

1 hour ago, Level42 said:

I never suggested that the original programmer would do the A8 conversion..... ;) Only that he would give his blessing if one would be done.

He's not an A8 programmer anyway so there are probably folks who will be better known with the A8....

I'm sure it can be accomplished. Of course, the hardest part of any project is simply getting it started. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tep392 said:

Only because I removed the post you were quoting. 

Dammed if I do, Dammed if I don't.

There is a way to delete the bad material within a quote. You can edit the post and only delete the quoted material... placing a note stating the quoted material broke forum rule or rules.

the person who quoted or made the reply could have a PM dropped to them explaining the reason the quote or whatever was deleted.

Such a thing might be helpful.

The replying poster may also be given a chance to edit their reply so that they aren't left to look like they are responding to something that never took place... They could at least keep their good responses and just type a note that their post is edited to keep the bad post they responded to from continuing. More than one way to handle it that's for sure.

It ain't easy, but it's possible. Just some ideas.

Edited by _The Doctor__

12 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

I'm sure it can be accomplished. Of course, the hardest part of any project is simply getting it started. ;)

You shouldn't put oil to the fire. 

There have been a lot "cheaper" looking adaptions been cancelled. Just because things become too complex. You'd need an 8 MHz CPU to solve that. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, emkay said:

You shouldn't put oil to the fire. 

There have been a lot "cheaper" looking adaptions been cancelled. Just because things become too complex. You'd need an 8 MHz CPU to solve that. 

It's not like these "cheap" projects you speak of were for nothing. The developers learn from that experience and can potentially become more skilled from that learning experience. One doesn't become a great programmer for a specific system overnight. Experimenting and trying new solutions to problems, such as making display routines, or music player routines more efficient takes time and a good understanding of the hardware's advantages and disadvantages to do right.

In other words, cut them some slack!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EnderDude said:

It's not like these "cheap" projects you speak of were for nothing. The developers learn from that experience and can potentially become more skilled from that learning experience. One doesn't become a great programmer for a specific system overnight. Experimenting and trying new solutions to problems, such as making display routines, or music player routines more efficient takes time and a good understanding of the hardware's advantages and disadvantages to do right.

In other words, cut them some slack!

Your argue would work on a "hey let's waste some days" happening. 

We are now 42 years after the Atari appeared first. It's literally unbelieavable how endless this wormhole of false expectations will never get corrected. 

When it comes to POKEY music, there have been a lot things till today. But on the graphics side everything is explained since the mid 80s. 

The point is that POKEY is by far the most capable chip in the Atari. 

You cannot programm "timings" to get more moving objects on the screen, if you understand.