IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

7 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I've made it faster already (and it looks crappier as a result) but I can't make it even faster because everything starts messing up ? and I really don't care about debugging it.

Don't make it look crappier, keep the 10 seconds! 

7 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Yes it sounds easy, but you try to figure out that code ?

That is the sort of thing we ahem 'pay' you for ;)

Just a thought. Is it simple (or possible) to do it backwards? Start with the final text and have it all noodle off the screen until it quits when the screen is blank? it could then be exited the same way the intro does and if you watch the full thing the text wanders on for the intro, the circle scroller sits in the middle and quitting it swaps to the sound randomizer then the text wanders off at the end, it might look quite good like that!

At the end of the day were talking like 8 seconds out of a 25 second load time here, there's no point putting silly amounts of effort into it. 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Just a thought. Is it simple (or possible) to do it backwards? Start with the final text and have it all noodle off the screen until it quits when the screen is blank? it could then be exited the same way the intro does and if you watch the full thing the text wanders on for the intro, the circle scroller sits in the middle and quitting it swaps to the sound randomizer then the text wanders off at the end, it might look quite good like that!

? 

Focus!

47 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I couldn't stand the NTSC palette so I decided to fix it.... using a method that @Wrathchild suggested a while back: simply incrementing the gradient by 1 (with wrapping) except for the grey gradient.

NTSCfix.thumb.png.40d5ff7632b1488c47a3689773345bcb.png

It's potentially impossible to complain about such a feature, but you never know...

That looks better, though the old palette wasn't that bad.

I have a question for you, once you've finished coding and had a little rest, would you be able to write us up a story of the programming process? I love to hear the issues that programmers had (technically, not those with other AA users) and why you decided to do something one way rather than another.

Of course, if you don't feel like doing that, or if you're not sure you could gather enough energy to do that, it's OK. It was just a request...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

I couldn't stand the NTSC palette so I decided to fix it.... using a method that @Wrathchild suggested a while back: simply incrementing the gradient by 1 (with wrapping) except for the grey gradient.

It's potentially impossible to complain about such a feature, but you never know...

Excellent !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

EXCELLENT!

Way to go there now with inter-format color standardization in place.

The original "nocturnal mood" is back in there (NTSC)!

??

• Like 3

19 hours ago, snicklin said:

I have a question for you, once you've finished coding and had a little rest, would you be able to write us up a story of the programming process? I love to hear the issues that programmers had (technically, not those with other AA users) and why you decided to do something one way rather than another.

I did maintain a log for a good while... maybe I'll put it online...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

looks good with the tweak, save the red billow of curtain. I did like that vibrant red, but on balance the rest of the screen is a lot more real estate. As a whole it's good either way. Liking the dungeon better with the tweak, but the princess room better without it ... it's the minds  eye in all things. The Princess room tricks you into thinking there are more distinct colors in the original, but the dungeon looks better with the change of the tweak....

Edited by _The Doctor__

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

looks good with the tweak, save the red billow of curtain. I did like that vibrant red, but on balance the rest of the screen is a lot more real estate. As a whole it's good either way. Liking the dungeon better with the tweak, but the princess room better without it ... it's the minds  eye in all things. The Princess room tricks you into thinking there are more distinct colors in the original, but the dungeon looks better with the change of the tweak....

Can't please everyone when it comes to colors...

Here's another feature that is sure to win hearts: you can now press OPTION as well as Esc to go to the option menu. Cost: 12 bytes ? (which I didn't have before)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

you aren't saying you both obtained and then spent those bytes!!! oh my!!! :)

next we will have a dissertation from an observer about the conservation of memory and what better use of such bytes could have meant !!! The if only! and shame of it!    Seems the parts that will be missing would be... 'How' and exactly 'what' such a development would be, or even a snippet of code or an example of the passing idea.

I think some folks drank 'one to many' of the 'potions' during the arc of this thread. I hope you continue to find, discover, crunch, and optimize things until every last byte you need is revealed and put to use. I can see a moment where just enough is available to excite your crew to do that one last thing you're hoping for.

The only heart that need be won is that of the Princess in our story, all others get the blade!!!! Except the mouse, whom perhaps had a magical ability to help the Princess make it through another day until our Prince could rescue her!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Well, you're going to have to wait a few more days due to more small fixes going in ?

New release date: 24th of october 2021

Updated video with new sparkling content: 

(Thanks VinsCool!)

Simply put, beautifully executed and rendered... a total show-off (on the A8), even by today standards !

Plenty of (immersive) dimensionality thanks to extensive use of textures combined with "cinematic" motion and perspectives, without mentioning that kick-ass SFX Bank #2 !!

In short, a truly worthy re-incarnation of an already great (and must-have) classic!!

Kudos to the whole team!

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Beautiful!

In before someone demands the mouse pic gets re-instated :)

oh but wait, We want the mouse! OH BUT WAIT WE WANT Cinematic screeen! Another DISK and we have all the room we need to randomize both and no more searching for space on the disk... but - but  .... ouch that hurt.... why it appears that daggers are coming through the interwebz... and another internet baddy is being slain... :)  The Prince had no choice but to put that to an end!

All of the assets from this epic production deserves a place and to be seen and enjoyed... Thanks for your perseverance and of course letting the world try your patience.

• Like 1

Whos going to be the first person to hack a loading screen randomizer into the atarimax image so you get a different random load screen for each boot?

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Beautiful!

The mouse is at least still in the load screen (bottom right)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 12:44 AM, rensoup said:

Yep, there are some priority issues, some I know can't be fixed easily (like PMGs in front of gates) but those you mentioned I'm not sure... there are some duplicate tiles in the original graphics, and I have a mask for each of them... I suppose I forgot to set the mask for some... but bugs like that don't make or break a game so I'll pass on those!

Ok, just in case if you want to know where : It's in Level 4, 2 screens involved :

2021_10_18_12_25_33_Window.png

2021_10_18_12_24_42_Window.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

Beautiful!

me wanted to suggest it or make it "selectable" which title screen hahaha... no just kidding. :D

KUDOS to this great conversion which puts now new landmark how A8 conversions need to look like...  yeah... all need a mouse title pic... ;-)

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1