IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

2 hours ago, rmzalbar said:

I just wanted to add my congratulations on a great port of this great game. I also want to say Thanks! for permitting it to run under NTSC. The PAL divide can be really brutal to us Americans at times.

I’m in Europe but I play almost only in NTSC for the better colours, correct aspect ratio, 60Hz and most of all SPEED (on the old games). So I’m thankful too….

Something just crossed my mind:

Just imagine if this entire thread hadn’t existed and Rensoup would have uploaded the video of the final product just now, out of the blue….

I guess many would have been saying it was fake news….. ???

Edited by Level42
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marsupilami said:

Ok, just in case if you want to know where : It's in Level 4, 2 screens involved :

Ah right I remember now... this is the software masking failing because I'm just using OR mode instead of full masking... simply because I ran out of memory in that bank ?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Whos going to be the first person to hack a loading screen randomizer into the atarimax image so you get a different random load screen for each boot?

13 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

me wanted to suggest it or make it "selectable" which title screen hahaha... no just kidding. :D

KUDOS to this great conversion which puts now new landmark how A8 conversions need to look like...  yeah... all need a mouse title pic... ;-)

I was going to use the mouse picture for the ending but there is no space for the disk versions and making it cart only was a little too much hassle...

mouse at the end seems fitting... not a bad idea... :)

prattling gibberish follows...

you are using bitwise OR masking there?

does AND masking work here at all... ifirc possibly adding the two lets the number fall into a darker range so it's more of a shadow and isn't as obvious.

(Bitwise OR) sets a bit to 1 if one or both of the corresponding bits in its operands are 1, and to 0 if both of the corresponding bits are 0.

(Bitwise AND) sets a bit to 1 if and only if both of the corresponding bits in its operands are 1, and to 0 if the bits differ or both are 0.

(Bitwise XOR) (exclusive OR) sets the bit to 1 where the corresponding bits in its operands are different, and to 0 if they are the same. Even 1 ^ 1 evaluates to 0 unlike the regular Bitwise OR.

am I remembering things even close here?

just curious as to how the cost in memory/cycles falls on these... I just don't remember if it's even close or the same, can you refresh my failing thoughts?

just thinking about how it might have worked or how to fudge it is all...

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 hours ago, rmzalbar said:

I just wanted to add my congratulations on a great port of this great game. I also want to say Thanks! for permitting it to run under NTSC. The PAL divide can be really brutal to us Americans at times.

It's a side effect of the game not running at 60fps so it's luck really ?

I had to do a few things of course, the worst one was that it required extra memory to fix palettes, tune speed, ...

It would have be a lot more tricky if it ran in a single frame...

The intro in front of the game is quite degraded to run in NTSC in one frame (less lines for the circle scroll, narrower sine scroll, less flying characters)

15 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

you are using bitwise OR masking there?

does AND masking work here at all... ifirc possibly adding the two lets the number fall into a darker range so it's more of a shadow and isn't as obvious.

All modes are implemented in the original Apple2 PoP:

OR, AND, MASK

MASK is proper masking (the mask is created from the sprite, negated and ANDed with the screen then the sprite is ORed with the screen) and much more expansive than the other 2.

15 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

just thinking about how it might have worked or how to fudge it is all...

Believe me I fudged a lot of stuff ?

The game uses whichever mode is appropriate, but for the A8 I added a fast mask mode which consumes a lot of memory (but is used very sparingly) but had no memory left for those pillars so I had to switch to OR mode.

More fudges = more delays ?

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

All modes are implemented in the original Apple2 PoP:

OR, AND, MASK

MASK is proper masking (the mask is created from the sprite, negated and ANDed with the screen then the sprite is ORed with the screen) and much more expansive than the other 2.

Believe me I fudged a lot of stuff ?

The game uses whichever mode is appropriate, but for the A8 I added a fast mask mode which consumes a lot of memory (but is used very sparingly) but had no memory left for those pillars so I had to switch to OR mode.

More fudges = more delays ?

Something for the Post Mortem doc… ?

• Like 1