IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

11 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

The first image is NOT an accurate representation of NTSC color reproduction. There are no "electric/saturated" blues on the characters shaded-clothing...

yeah they should be close, I did spend some time to add NTSC correction on the title because without it the skin shades looked green ?

So that meant running a simple code parser that changed all the picture kernel values for every poke to a color register... mildly annoying but at least it didn't take much space!

• Like 3

After playing to Level 3, and dying a few times on that level (great level for a few deaths), I let my game expire. Then I let the game just go through it's sequences (title, etc.); and when it gets to the princess and Jaffar scene, the princess has red skin. After I let it continue playing through the title and everything a second time, her skin color is back to normal.

I tried this 4 or 5 times (from a cold boot, or emulator restart), with the same results. It didn't happen when I did the same thing from Level 1. I haven't tried it from Level 2 yet.

Here's the state file from Altirra.

My config in Altirra (v3.90 Release) is
600XL/800XL
XL/XE OS Rev. 3 (I also tried Rev. 2)
1088 KB RAM

I don't have any patches or other devices hooked up, just a joystick in Port 1.

I'm using the Atarimax cart version.

redprincess.atstate2

redprincess0.thumb.png.c5cf32567c733553397cafb6a6b731f0.png

redprincess1.thumb.png.32b39137650b93813eaaf7d0859a1240.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

So what, exactly, would you suggest as a fix?

1. Try first nailing the white-balance correctly on your capture. The splash screen has two gray-bars on the left'and-right. The should come out GRAY (neutral) on your capture. If not, they will show up the bias-color of your applied WB.
  2. Make sure your CRT or whatever screen you choose to display PoP is properly color-calibrated for NTSC (check with ACP):
    • Hue $01: should be ideally yellow-gold or, on a less desirable instance, yellow-greenish.
    • Hue $0A: should be grayish-blue on Luminance value $02.
    • Hue $0F: should NOT be same as $01. Instead, should be yellow-peach, so you get full 240+16 colors-lumas.

That´s about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

After playing to Level 3, and dying a few times on that level (great level for a few deaths), I let my game expire. Then I let the game just go through it's sequences (title, etc.); and when it gets to the princess and Jaffar scene, the princess has red skin. After I let it continue playing through the title and everything a second time, her skin color is back to normal.

Damn... Level 3 is the skeleton level, and there's a special hack for making his eyes red, duh... probably going to fix it locally but, it's not worth a new release...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Damn... Level 3 is the skeleton level, and there's a special hack for making his eyes red, duh... probably going to fix it locally but, it's not worth a new release...

Yeah, that sucks. I figured it was some PM color that wasn't getting reset.

It's a fairly minor thing, from the user's side, since it only happens in that particular scenario.

It's a complex piece of software; so trivial things can end up being missed. Take your time fixing it, and maybe do another release sometime down the road, when you're up to messing with it again.

Something I'm curious about... the download counters show consistently shows that the DD version is by far the most downloaded one. Any idea why ? I'm guessing Fujinet ?

I thought the cart versions would be more popular, and perhaps they are since their numbers should probably be added together as people download a single one (and potentially download the DD version too?)

What's even more puzzling is that the SD version is the 2nd most downloaded build ?, I just can't imagine 500 people putting this on floppies ?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Something I'm curious about... the download counters show consistently shows that the DD version is by far the most downloaded one. Any idea why ? I'm guessing Fujinet ?

Probably that, and there are a lot of other SD/disk devices out there (SDrive, SIO2SD), and a lot of people use SIO2PC.

45 minutes ago, rensoup said:

What's even more puzzling is that the SD version is the 2nd most downloaded build ?, I just can't imagine 500 people putting this on floppies ?

Possibly because it's the first file in the list. So people are just grabbing the first thing (or first disk version) available.

I downloaded them all (except the Atarimax cart-flasher disk).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

1. Try first nailing the white-balance correctly on your capture. The splash screen has two gray-bars on the left'and-right. The should come out GRAY (neutral) on your capture. If not, they will show up the bias-color of your applied WB.
  2. Make sure your CRT or whatever screen you choose to display PoP is properly color-calibrated for NTSC (check with ACP):
    • Hue $01: should be ideally yellow-gold or, on a less desirable instance, yellow-greenish.
    • Hue $0A: should be grayish-blue on Luminance value $02.
    • Hue $0F: should NOT be same as $01. Instead, should be yellow-peach, so you get full 240+16 colors-lumas.

That´s about it.

You'll have to explain to me how to achieve every one of those things.  Not saying this to be an arse, but I really have no clue to as to the vast majority of what you're asking me to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

I thought the cart versions would be more popular, and perhaps they are since their numbers should probably be added together as people download a single one (and potentially download the DD version too?)

C0CD06EC-C051-4F6B-BCEA-F4A5F7DF2AC8.thumb.jpeg.9923b4760c9342963161b0e56c31f438.jpeg

• Like 4

On 10/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, Mr Robot said:

Elf on a shelf, a pointless little doll that has no actual connection to Christmas other than some marketing blurb about how the creator put it in her kids bedroom to watch and see if the kid was good or bad. The year it was released it had the words "The Christmas Tradition" written on the box to try and make itself seem like it had been around for a lot longer than it had. It's another gimmick that became a popular thing, like the pet rock or cabbage patch dolls or furby or tamagotchi.

Giving new products non-existent history is a common marketing thing; dBASE II was the first version of dBASE, they wanted it to seem like it had history and was therefore less buggy than a v1 product. 

Sorry, Off topic, but I was told years ago that DBase III exists for CP/M / Z-System.

If ANYONE knows about where to find it, please PM me.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

Maybe because the DD version is the easiest to load/test? It probably runs on (almost) all modern media, except the Side2/CF3; there I have not been able to get either the DD or the SD version to work.

With the module versions it is more effort for me. I have to fumble the CAR files onto an ATR first and then burn that onto a module. This is always quite cumbersome for me, since I do it very rarely.

So if you want to get playing quickly, the DD version is the best choice. Even if in the long run a module is of course better because of the loading times. ?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faicuai said:

The first image is NOT an accurate representation of NTSC color reproduction. There are no "electric/saturated" blues on the characters shaded-clothing...

It actually looks like this (left s-Video and right Sophia-2 DVI-D, A800/Incognito):

2AAC5DB5-D67F-4481-9354-80E28AF4D3B9.thumb.jpeg.b5f19b6cc045ddf106e04141b956b976.jpeg

Exactly, that TV must have incorrect colour settings. I'l take some pictures here as well today, but so far I've ran only the NTSC version and it looks much more like Facuai's picture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Cart version all the way for me.

It's much faster between loading times in general :D

also because I use the AVGCART so this is appropriate, hehe

Yep, I downloaded all three cart versions, I guess more out of "testing" habit then anything else. All three cart versions work fine with SIDE3.
Until I have a dedicated room for my retro computers and consoles I have my 1050s in storage and I really don't crave for the long loading times :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, +Adam+ said:

Thanks a lot and congratulations to all involved!

Interesting. When I look on body proportions of the princess in A8 version's intro I don't think the hero has long enough arms to hug her like that ;)

Wait what ?!?!? So the princess looks hot as hell in the intro screens but once the prince rescues her she suddenly wears clothes for an 80 year old ? 

• Haha 1

This game has always missing something..

although we have a "win" cut scene, we don't get a "lose" one and it's really not fair for the vizier ? kinda like Coyote never catches Road Runner !

My proposition: when time is up, vizier comes in dragging the dead prince behind him, laughs out loud, proceeds ripping her clothes off, the screen slowly fades to black..

?:-D

• Haha 6