IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

1 hour ago, xxl said:

After watching this speedrun I can see how great this port is. Good thing the author didn't kill the spirit of PoP by trying to "tweak" it so that effects like 26:54 are not possible. We can safely say that we have a real PoP on Atari. ?

In some cases : The best version of all 8 bits :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, xxl said:

After watching this speedrun I can see how great this port is. Good thing the author didn't kill the spirit of PoP by trying to "tweak" it so that effects like 26:54 are not possible. We can safely say that we have a real PoP on Atari. ?

I didn't tweak it because I was too scared to break stuff ?

On 11/3/2021 at 1:00 AM, Shauing said:

Yes, by simply avoiding to do the two running jumps back to back like I did in the crash video. In my speedrun video I don't do the first running jump.

I managed to reproduce it consistently but it's really a bug that may appear only when speedrunning... because you're leaving the guard alive and somehow that jump anim frame causes a DLI glitch...

The red screen is really a safety check which I could take out... the game would then flicker until you switched screen and that'd be it... of course it's still tempting to try and fix it properly ?

5 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I managed to reproduce it consistently but it's really a bug that may appear only when speedrunning... because you're leaving the guard alive and somehow that jump anim frame causes a DLI glitch...

The red screen is really a safety check which I could take out... the game would then flicker until you switched screen and that'd be it... of course it's still tempting to try and fix it properly ?

This code is a marvelous "house of cards" - beautiful when standing, but don't breathe on it because it will all come crashing down.

We jokingly refer to our codebase this way - "it's working, please don't make me change XX for YY reason!" :)

It is amazing what could (and can still) be done on these old 8-bit machines.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

As promised, here's the Music Bank 2 files :)

Included in the .zip: .rmt modules, .erti configuration, custom notes tables, as well as .xex and .sap exports.

Bank 1 isn't yet organised but that should be posted at a later time too :)

Prince of Persia (Atari 8-Bit Port) - Music Bank 2.zip

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

I'll say that if a fix is possible you should do so (at least for the game-breaking stuff). Even the Apple II doesn't have this freeze with all it's slowdown issues. I myself did a port of this same game for the SNES (as the original SNES release expanded the game to two hours, adding more levels, bosses, traps and so on - even they fixed some of the major glitches that could be found in most of the other versions) and in that port I did, I fixed stuff that could crash the game or make the game too easy (i.e. a major glitch that allowed a crazy level warp) but still leaving some of those non-game-breaking glitches/skips that speedrunners do (such as guard jumps or clipping through some gates).

But other than those few hiccups, it's still a job well done, far better than some official releases (NES or Master System to mention a few!)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, VinsCool said:

As promised, here's the Music Bank 2 files :)

Included in the .zip: .rmt modules, .erti configuration, custom notes tables, as well as .xex and .sap exports.

Bank 1 isn't yet organised but that should be posted at a later time too :)

Prince of Persia (Atari 8-Bit Port) - Music Bank 2.zip 190.36 kB · 12 downloads

LOL, this sounds _SO_ much better on my Bang & Olufsen MX8000 :)

I think I will record how it sounds using a good (condenser) microphone. Then again, you'll need a good sound system to hear how it sounds for real :)

Edited by Level42
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Level42 said:

LOL, this sounds _SO_ much better on my Bang & Olufsen MX8000 :)

I think I will record how it sounds using a good (condenser) microphone. Then again, you'll need a good sound system to hear how it sounds for real :)

Excuse me...?

Are you saying here that my recording setup was poor?

Or I'm misunderstanding the point being made here?

Just for reference, what was heard and shown in the video above was recorded directly from my PAL Atari 800xl, once for all channels at once, and then 4 additional times, once for every single channel, those being for visualisation purpose.

The sound was recorded through the AUDIO out directly, using my USB audio card, which was running in Audacity during the recording process.

The file 'MERGED.xex' was the one I had used for recording the entire soundtrack in a single pass, so this saved me some time.

Also I've listened to the soundtrack on my Commodore 1702 directly, and it sounded pretty darn good, in my opinion :D 

• Like 2

oh my gods, this is absolutly beautiful, what a job! thanks so much for making this a reality on the atari 8, the final version made me literally spit my muck!!! (is that a bit much??)

oh well, im s00per impressed, mega thanks to all involved!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, grzybson said:

Hi @rensoup,

Let me humbly ask - is there a slightest chance for you to release a version that runs entirely from Ram-Disk? Xxl claims that he already has such I/O module for xbios. 

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrZgj2Noguo

I understand the thread is a little long but it'd be good if you did read at least the latest bits:

Depends on @xxl, if he's interested to make such builds, I could add them to the first post... Would be nice if it was a single build that detected the most common RAM extensions though ?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Thx for the label. I put the game on a 512k MegaCart:

Is this a cart where the bottom part moves with springs ? I didn't think those were still being made...

5 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Not gonna lie... I'd totally buy that if a proper cart release is ever made.

You'd probably even get a good discount given your involvement ?

• Like 3

Regarding real carts...

Yes I'd like that to happen but it would have to be approved by JMechner.

(It would be a dick move not to ask him.)

Obviously there's very little chance of getting his approval since he may not even own the right to the franchise anymore... but you never know. Perhaps with some kind of licensing deal ?

I would probably start a thread with some kind of poll asking what kind of version people would be interested in (potentially a 64KB version ?)

Then anybody interested would have the opportunity to add a comment for JM begging him to allow for this to happen ? then we could send him the link to the thread.

If this was to happen I would like to be a special item perhaps even with a custom shaped cart and a cool retro box cover...

I don't really have a plan for this nor am I in a rush... plus I'd like to try stuff out before starting a new thread about this topic.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Glad you like it! These are my results as well, using @Sikor’s cases.

image.jpg

5 hours ago, rensoup said:

Is this a cart where the bottom part moves with springs ? I didn't think those were still being made...

Yes, it´s the cart with springs. Unfortunately, the case is not new. BigBen receycled old carts for his 512 k flash cart back then in 2010.

I would find the right XEGS design for the sticker fancier than the 400/800 cart....

Does Sikor only have the housings or is this a finished flash cart?

Edit: found sikor´s offer.

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 2

The XEGS sticker is really nice, but my personal preference is to have a packaging and label that look similar to the original release. The cartridge is the Polish C64 shell. The boxed is based on the Domark UK release.

popcompleet.thumb.jpg.093f1669b779ba84f73f5100a1d3ae98.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3