IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

56 minutes ago, leech said:

but the Ultimate 1541 II+ also makes sounds (that is a seriously awesome device for anyone with a C64/C128)

My AVG and my Ult 1541++ are my two most fave carts for my two most fave machines....The 1541++ is just amazing, with the AVG just a little behind but such stunning value for money.

Edited by Mclaneinc

2 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

My AVG and my Ult 1541++ are my two most fave carts for my two most fave machines....The 1541++ is just amazing, with the AVG just a little behind but such stunning value for money.

I should get an AVG cart, it's one of the very few Atari flash carts I don't have.

Seriously, the AVG is unique (as long as you get the SIO cable), nothing else loads tapes and disks with such high compatibility, that isn't a dig at Candle and Jons SIDE3, it's just the truth. I'd get a SIDE3 if  I had money but more importantly, the need of one. And since I had my first car crash in 42 years, the money side aint happening ;)

Thankfully no one hurt but the car was declared a write-off just because of its age, but I brought it back from the insurance people out of my settlement and getting it fixed as we speak. Thankfully, my daughter chipped in some money as she says we need the car, which we do. The shopping has been killing me on foot so want car asap, just scraped enough to do it so happy.

But thank you for asking..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Seriously, the AVG is unique (as long as you get the SIO cable), nothing else loads tapes and disks with such high compatibility, that isn't a dig at Candle and Jons SIDE3, it's just the truth. I'd get a SIDE3 if  I had money but more importantly, the need of one. And since I had my first car crash in 42 years, the money side aint happening ;)

Yeah, I need to track one down.  Ha, I bought a SIDE3 that I haven't even used yet, as I got it, then tested it with the 1200xl, found it didn't fit... and then never got back to it.  But then I have a SIDE2, and Incognito'd 800, and my beefed up 130xe.  But I think that AVGCart + one of my 800xls would be an excellent set up... are they still available to order somewhere?

4 minutes ago, leech said:

But I think that AVGCart + one of my 800xls would be an excellent set up... are they still available to order somewhere?

AVG cart would best suited for 130XE, because with ECI cable it becomes a 512KB memory expansion. So get AVG cart plus SIO and ECI cables. It's still available https://avgcart.tmp.sk/

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Some emus for other systems out there do drive sounds - it doesn't do much for me other than indicate that a load is occurring, which could equally be accomplished with status lights.

One thing I always loved about the Atari 8bit was the disk loading sounds were through the monitor.  Sure you had the LED flashing on the floppy drive as well.  Or with the 800, you would have the noises come from it's internal speaker.

Yes it is as is the RF added loading noise on top of the SIO noise, when you got that slight whine as it loaded...Just another really marvellous realism from Avery, and for those that don't like it (not enabled by default (I think)), it can be turned off.

I do love an emulator that does drive sounds, be it just mech and head move noise or beeps..

Silent loads feel false (if the machine did make noises while loading)... Only exception, screeching tape load noises, realistic yes, but also reminds you WHY you brought a disk drive..

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 12:27 AM, Rybags said:

Some emus for other systems out there do drive sounds - it doesn't do much for me other than indicate that a load is occurring, which could equally be accomplished with status lights.

I am also a fan of drive sounds.

When I am loading a longer program (e.g. 320k or 576k or 1088k) from AVG cart. with SIO-cable and the SIO noise has been disabled (e.g. with a Poke 65,0), I am waiting several minutes and do not know if the program is still loading or has crashed in the meanwhile. Looking at a black (blank) or blue loading screen with no (SIO) sounds for several minutes just isn't nice. Some status light (e.g. green, no blinking nescessary!) or SIO sound would be much nicer.

Also some loading screens or loading animations do not always help, I had A8 programs showing a loading title or loading animation almost endlessly and without any garbage, while the program had already stopped loading and did not work.

• Like 2

I was referring more to the simulated motor and stepping sounds - but yeah, the SIO beeps are useful to determine if the thing has gone into a hang or not.

What could be helpful with 8-bit emulators is a CPU meter - have it 32 pixels across with each line representing the CPU accessing a particular 2K address range.  If it's stuck in one spot then you know there's a fair chance it's in a hang or stuck loop.

• Like 1

Before drive sounds became a thing, the first addition I asked every author to add (if they wanted to) was a sector display to show what sector or track it was reading for the exact reason CC was saying, if there's no noise at all then you are unaware if it's crashed or the image was bad etc. When Altirra came along it had the SIO noise which was music to my ears (I still asked for the sector counter though :) )

• Like 5

I just played this for the first time and loved it! I played it a lot back in the day (Mac version) and this almost feels identical to control. I got past the first two levels without issue and then L3 came down on me like a tonne of bricks. I forgot how hard it is!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New version! I honestly haven't tested it much but hopefully it'll be alright.

December 2021 V1.01 Final Release.

-Final release bugfix. There are no real new features!

-fix for princess red skin color during attract cutscene after playing level 3.

-fix for very rare crashbug due to sprite clipping.

-fix for "princess waiting" cutscene playing beyond level 12.

-fix for cutscene not using the frame limiter and playing too fast on faster CPUs.

-fix for vizier going beyond screen bound when exiting attract cutscene.

-added cheap fx (blue player skin + inverted X directions) for original A2 screen inversion in level 9.

-removed bad DLI Assert (Red screen of death), the game will not assert anymore but the screen will flicker if a bad DLI is encountered.

-added final time left when finishing the game, which is useful for speedruns. Thanks to Shauing for the suggestion!

-game clock is slightly faster.

There are plans for another potential release with stuff that'll remain undisclosed for now ?

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

17 minutes ago, rensoup said:

There are plans for another potential release with stuff that'll remain undisclosed for now ?

@rensoup   Fantastic news!! :lust: And many thanks for the latest bug fix format releases. My festive break will definitely be including some PoP gaming!! :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rensoup said:

Awesome ! ? Thanks a lot :) Still waiting for the cheat codes to be enabled...or revealed... ?

Edited by Marsupilami
  • Like 2