IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

57 minutes ago, mytek said:

Is this on any public TNFS servers that you know of? If so I can use my 576NUC+ with FujiNet to check it out :)

Check tnfs.online.  They're under 'files', 'Disk Images', 'P', 'Prince of Persia', and both single- and double-density images are available :-D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

It’s on mine, in the 2021 folder. 

btw the cart won’t work with the uno cart, needs an ultimate/side3/avg

There was a version of the previous 1.0 build that did work just fine on my UNO? That was how I was playing it originally since it loaded up so much quicker.

I run the final December 2021 (latest) CAR versions of the game, (like PoP_Atarimax_20211206_final.CAR), directly off my SIDE3 cart on my U1MB'd 800XL. Takes a couple of seconds to load the intro demo, and perhaps 8 seconds to load the game title screen. Then because PoP doesn't run off Incognito on an 800, (with it's inbuilt Side2 loader which isn't capable of running CAR/ROM files and also the SD/DD version of PoP don't load), I got around this by flashing the aforementioned PoP Atarimax CAR to an Atarimax Maxflash 8Mbit cart. I can therefore play PoP off the Maxflash cart in my 800 too now. :grin::lust:

Incidentally since my main driver 800XL, (UAV rD installed, stereo, U1MB), is permanently hooked up to my Panasonic 10" CRT, and my Incognito'd 800 is connected to my B&O MX4000 CRT, I alternate between the two. It's so good to be able to play PoP on both of may favourite machines. (Also Final Assault on both CRTs, and especially on the 10" CRT, is an utter joy to play. It benefits from the smaller pixels given the low GR resolution FA runs in. (NRV's Project M demo looks amazing on a 10" CRT too btw). Actually games like Flob, The Last Squadron and Albert look great on the lil screen, as well as on my B&O (which has amazing colours and I use to view my Rastaconverter images).  Anyways - sorry - I totally digress. :P

BTW the best two tips I found when playing PoP is as follows:

• To have a decent joystick with proper microswitches, (like a quality Zipstick - best Joystick I've ever owned:lust:). Makes a huge difference given the timing and accuracy needed to play PoP. 
  • I have PAL A8s and IMHO having a fast rate of play works well. So in the game menu set the frame limiter to 3. The prince's character animation moves that little bit faster and makes gameplay so much more fluid and fun. Plus the excellent character animation looks so much better that little bit faster.:lust:

10" CRT shot (excuse the quality of the image - looks better in real life than this)

image.thumb.png.48a49f8c9ef9a027b082145e3b780e38.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jetboot Jack said:

I love those little CRT's - beautiful picture, had one for my 8bit set-up for many years...

sTeVE

@Jetboot Jack  Thanks.:D Yup got mine for peanuts of Ebay UK including the postage costs. Mainly went for this 10" one as it has an S-video input on the front - very hard to find anything with S-video in the UK and I didn't wanna go down the route of adapters and upscalers, etc, (been there, done that). All my A8's run off S-video, (with the amazing quality properly double sheilded Hercules workshop DIN to S-video cables (one with mono RCA audio), I sourced 2 x from Canada - highly recommended btw - great service and really nice owner - good value for money too, especially given I am in the UK.:thumbsup:).

I highly recommend this particular mini CRT model to anyone with limited space. Given my own limited desk space it sits perfectly in the corner - I have my Atari Jaguar on top of it and playing the likes of Wolf3D on it is fantastic. I'll probably switch my Jaguar to the MX4000 CRT for obvious reasons (bigger screen, amazing image and audio) - just can't be ar$ed to untangle all the wires heh heh!:P 

I have my B&O MX4000 CRT to the left of my suspended 28" LED monitor and Windows gaming laptop, the 10"CRT to the right. My Incognito'd 800 tank and U1MB'd UAV'd Stereo 800XL are both in reach to my left under the LED monitor. All my other A8s under my desk. It's all very crammed but it works for me, (although not much leg room - I'm 6.2ft). (I would post a picture but I am too embarrased -  it's a mess heh heh!):lol: 

My other half regularly rolls her eyes when she see's me crammed in here. What can I say - I am a geek/Atarian!:grin:

Anyways  - best time to be around on the Atari scene IMHO - PoP rocks and proves - like so many 21c new Atari games/ports - that the A8 has many more surprises left in it when in the right coding and hardware hands!:D

Can wait to see what Rensoup and collaborators come up with next, if another project is planned of course;). So many genres but I guess personally I'd love to see more point and click (fantastically animated) A8 titles. 

I know 8bit dude's Unity project platform has the intreging point and click game "8-bit Goblin" in development.

And there is the much anticipated "Asteroida - as the cause of all life's troubles... that is" point and click - based on Ilmenit's Adventure studio engine.

Also as per my post here, this would be great as a port IMHO - the Briley Witch Chronicles:

Edited by Beeblebrox
typo

On 1/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, Beeblebrox said:

Incidentally since my main driver 800XL, (UAV rD installed, stereo, U1MB), is permanently hooked up to my Panasonic 10" CRT, and my Incognito'd 800 is connected to my B&O MX4000 CRT

Try and find a B&O MX8000. It blows the older MX4000 and MX7000 away (which are already great). I have MX4000,MX4200 (real flat, don't really like that), MX7000 and MX8000's. 

The MX8000 has the most vibrant colors I've seen on any of the MX series, plus that sound....that incredible sound....
Also: the menu system is SOOOOOO much better than the weird teletext style set-up menu of the older MX4000 and MX7000.

1 hour ago, Level42 said:

Try and find a B&O MX8000. It blows the older MX4000 and MX7000 away (which are already great). I have MX4000,MX4200 (real flat, don't really like that), MX7000 and MX8000's. 

The MX8000 has the most vibrant colors I've seen on any of the MX series, plus that sound....that incredible sound....
Also: the menu system is SOOOOOO much better than the weird teletext style set-up menu of the older MX4000 and MX7000.

@Level42  I had entertained the idea of the higher MX models when I was looking. In the end aside the extra cost for the higher models it came down to 2 x things:  Screen size - MX8000 is 28" and I have limited footprint space on my desk, (the MX4000 just about fits as it is); and weight - my 21" MX4000 is a whopping 23kg already - the MX8000 is 45kg! My custom built desk couldn't take anymore weight than it already has what with all the other hardware on it.;)

The other consideration at the time was actually finding ones in the UK, and for reasonable prices. Some sellers were asking ridiculous amounts for them. Also a lot of sellers split the TV from the remote as the latter are worth a lot on their own. I sourced the MX4000 and compatible higher quality original B&O remote separately and paid a 3rd more for the remote control than I did the TV - crazy! Still - damn good remote!

Overall, aside the fact I had to arrange a courier to collect it from the seller, I didn't pay too much for the TV and remote in the end, so I was happy. :D

I know what you mean about the weird teletext menus mind. I can live with that.

The MX4000 sound is absolutely stunning.:lust:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Level42 said:

Ha, being in the USA, these get filed under 'Unobtanium' for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peruchi said:

Is it possible to save your progress during the game? I suck at most games...

@Peruchi There is no progress save function as such. However Rensoup revealed the cheat code here which, when typed in on the main menu screen means the Start level, Start health and weak enemy greyed out options are enabled. So you can start at the beginning of any of the levels as well as tilt the game in your favour. A welcome option for anyone who is tearing their hair out after 100hrs of attempts, (such is the PoP gameplay experience across every platform it's ever appeared on - half the appeal of the game heh heh!)

However personally I try and play the game without it as that's half the challenge and is so much more rewarding when you progress on ya own merit, (sorry for stating the obvious heh heh:D). I guess if you make it to say, level 3, it's can be used to start from that next time using the code. It's just all too easy to jump ahead further. To date I've not given in to the temptation... although there have been times when I felt like it..........:grin:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, Level42 said:

The smaller equivalent of the MX8000 would be the MX4200 but these seem to be pretty rare. Two on German EBay asking starting at 250€ or 400 BIN while MX4000s occasionally turn up for 50-100 in local listings. The MX4000 menu is a real PITA, probably more so if you don't have the Beo4 remote. You have to get used to not selecting SCART1 or SCART2 but SAT or VCR to find you various computers/consoles. 

I regret not getting a 9" portable Trinitron while they were still available below 50€. Most recent listings are over 100€, some quite a lot so.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, Beeblebrox said:

I have my B&O MX4000 CRT to the left of my suspended 28" LED monitor and Windows gaming laptop, the 10"CRT to the right. My Incognito'd 800 tank and U1MB'd UAV'd Stereo 800XL are both in reach to my left under the LED monitor. All my other A8s under my desk. It's all very crammed but it works for me, (although not much leg room - I'm 6.2ft). (I would post a picture but I am too embarrased -  it's a mess heh heh!):lol: 

(chanting)

we want pics, we want pics

You probably need some massive hardware to suspend a 45kg CRT...

On 1/22/2022 at 11:53 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

There was a version of the previous 1.0 build that did work just fine on my UNO? That was how I was playing it originally since it loaded up so much quicker.

I don't know how that'd be possible since the UNO has 128KB and the minimum PoP cart size is 256KB... unless there are different UNO versions ? or perhaps the game is able to partially run with only 128KB and will crash at some point but I doubt it.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, Beeblebrox said:

Can wait to see what Rensoup and collaborators come up with next, if another project is planned of course;). So many genres but I guess personally I'd love to see more point and click (fantastically animated) A8 titles. 

I know 8bit dude's Unity project platform has the intreging point and click game "8-bit Goblin" in development.

And there is the much anticipated "Asteroida - as the cause of all life's troubles... that is" point and click - based on Ilmenit's Adventure studio engine.

Also as per my post here, this would be great as a port IMHO - the Briley Witch Chronicles:

The only adventure games I'd consider porting would be Monkey Island and Indiana Jones but they're also those that'd look the nastiest on the A8 ?... A huge amount of work for a guaranteed crap result!

My interest is in pushing the A8 for a result that looks good (including when compared to other 8bit plaftorms)

There are still lots of games that stood the test of time and aren't available on the A8... I even took a look at Rick Dangerous and thought it could potentially look good. Then I played it again... ? (PC remake I think). It's outrageously unfair, a lot more than PoP so I quickly gave up on that idea.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rensoup said:

The only adventure games I'd consider porting would be Monkey Island and Indiana Jones but they're also those that'd look the nastiest on the A8 ?... A huge amount of work for a guaranteed crap result!

???

The game itself isn't moving much on the screen. There might be a lot CPU available to enhance the graphics to a "serious degree". 

The biggest time consuming part might be to redraw the graphics. 

But here is a usable source , if you look at the C64.  

It's funny, when the 16 color limit means to reduce the colors on the screen... so this time, it might be usable.... 

The screen height is about 120 lines? Means a kernel for color changing of "120" lines. The other "120 lines" could be used to do some PM preparation...

Commodore 64 game preview -=Secret of Monkey Island=- - YouTube

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I don't know how that'd be possible since the UNO has 128KB and the minimum PoP cart size is 256KB... unless there are different UNO versions ? or perhaps the game is able to partially run with only 128KB and will crash at some point but I doubt it.

Maybe it was one of the earlier pre-release builds. I do remember that it was specifically stated to have been a patched one as the original file I tried would just lock up to a black or green screen, while the patched one did load up and I was able to play.

I'm pretty confident it was an earlier pre-release build because now that I think about it, I've only seen specific builds for the specific devices since the actual release. I've been playing it through my Fuji since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

My interest is in pushing the A8 for a result that looks good (including when compared to other 8bit plaftorms)

There are still lots of games that stood the test of time and aren't available on the A8... I even took a look at Rick Dangerous and thought it could potentially look good. Then I played it again... ? (PC remake I think). It's outrageously unfair, a lot more than PoP so I quickly gave up on that idea.

Ha, Rick Dangerous is truly an asshole of a game.

Would be interesting to see what could be done with Another World.  I think the 8bit Atari is about the only system that doesn't have it at this point....

I need time to learn to code... really want to start a remaster of Ultima IV.  Would also like to work on a VBXE Enhanced version of that and some other games...

• Like 1

Rick Dangerous has already been in long running development and AFAIK may see the light of day.  (Then again maybe not)

I'd love to see Another World on the A8. Aside a playable demo on the A8 in the 90s I don't think anyone is attempting it.

Funnily enough I've just ordered Another World on the Jaguar... winging it's way from France as we speak.:grin:  The intro animation/cut scene is one of my favourites - I couldn't stop watching it on my mate's Amiga in the 90's! :lust:

Reminds me, last year at the start of my Rastaconverter journey (here in May last year) I converted a few Another world images for fun:

(PAL images)

image.thumb.png.0c3cb0f4b4a77d964ef4f88abf287b86.png

AnotherworldLabsmcomplete2.xex

image.thumb.png.996214fddfe3483943be77d26c9c0034.png

Anotherworldbackdrop1strun.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4

On 1/25/2022 at 11:37 PM, emkay said:

???

The game itself isn't moving much on the screen. There might be a lot CPU available to enhance the graphics to a "serious degree". 

The biggest time consuming part might be to redraw the graphics. 

But here is a usable source , if you look at the C64.  

It's funny, when the 16 color limit means to reduce the colors on the screen... so this time, it might be usable.... 

The screen height is about 120 lines? Means a kernel for color changing of "120" lines. The other "120 lines" could be used to do some PM preparation...

Commodore 64 game preview -=Secret of Monkey Island=- - YouTube

Haha, omg... never tought I would like one of your posts. /jk

Okay... I also think, any of the older scumm adventure are possible on the lil A8 cuz they don't need lots of CPU time in the game engine.

The POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE engine is waiting, most of the time, for inputs. So it's possible to use this CPU time for 'pimping' the gfx. But... the amount of pictures / scenes would be a big problem. Even if we have tons of modern storage systems for the A8, a few ppl would scream 'we also need it for the stock ATARI 400 ... you suck!!' ;) 

Anyway... even that could be possible. 4/5 colour or greyscale (like a gameboy) for stock systems, anhanced gfx for pimped systems like U1MB, SIO2xxx, AVG-Cart version... and so on and a special version for VBXE systems. 

Sorry for going off topic. :D

greetings

Mario