IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

Where's the problem?

Windows 95 OSR 2.1 came on 26 floppy disks and people liked it.

?‍♂️:D

Ha, reminds me of when I first started using Linux, you could install off of 3 (may have been 5?) Floppy disks, and then the rest was downloaded from the internet.  with my speeds back then, and install took about 3 days...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, reminds me of when I first started using Linux, you could install off of 3 (may have been 5?) Floppy disks, and then the rest was downloaded from the internet.  with my speeds back then, and install took about 3 days...

That's why I took a whole stack of floppies to the uni and download everything (Slackware) there :)

On 1/26/2022 at 4:28 AM, Beeblebrox said:

Funnily enough I've just ordered Another World on the Jaguar... winging it's way from France as we speak.:grin:  ....

Well - if you told me if one of the most iconic games of the 90's was ever gonna be released for the Atari Jaguar BITA .......I would have bought the Jaguar just for that alone. (Of course getting a Jag was worth it just for DOOM and Wolf3D alone - not to mention AvP. ID software legend John Carmack actually said this of the Wolf3D port on the Jag once:

image.png.0d02e20bb0848cee58eaea23dfa43ddf.png.:grin:

Anyways - I digress.

So it took a few decades but a port happened.... and my boxed (3rd run) Cart of Another World just arrived yesterday! :lust:

I have a day off work today and aside this arriving I also have a load of other Atari 8-bit stuff to check out, (including an original XE Light gun and a new project (broken 800XL to fix)!  I feel like a teenager again, skipping school to play on my Atari's!:P

I've not played Another World on any platform in probably 25 years! So aside looking forward to reacquainting myself with it, to be actually booting this up on my original Jaguar (bought in 1995), is a total bonus!!

To me it is very similar in many respects to PoP, (very well crafted and animated, challenging game mechanics and cut scenes). The intro cut scene is the most memorable I think I've ever seen and does exactly what games of this kind should do - transport you to Another world (pun intended) and immerse you in a story - then challenge/surprise the player throughout, whilst revealing more of the world along the way.

I absolutely loved playing this game on my mate's Amiga BITD and remember, much like PoP, the (sometimes) frustrating elements of gameplay mechanics which (by design) provides the challenge in the first place.

Check it out:

image.thumb.png.33795da0da74ab427bad4fa41d7f1276.png  image.thumb.png.abba33a67e0d09e46b41dbbaa3e433dc.png  image.thumb.png.9be32b0c2bdf5426d060019f483eccfa.png  image.thumb.png.ba105e75dc2efa8e8485eb65a88c7b19.png    

Here is some Jag footage of the gameplay for anyone not familiar with the game:

Now all we need is a faithful new A8 version - playing to the A8's strengths - on our 8-bit Atari's!  (Hell - I'd even just settle for having the intro cut scene in some guise!:D)

(And for those who haven't seen my original post earlier above.. yup I am aware of the 90's Atari 8-bit Another world playable demo);)  Now just imagine in light of what has been achieved in the last few decades on the A8, and recently with our amazing port of PoP with it's stunning animation, what could be achieved, (especially taking into account current 21c A8 hardware developments, (ie SDcard based storage fast data transfer mediums, upgraded RAM))?!! :lust:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Where's the problem?

Windows 95 OSR 2.1 came on 26 floppy disks and people liked it.

?‍♂️:D

I used to build different versions of UNIX, mainly AIX and DEC Alpha and to install was ton's of floppy disks,

just boxes and boxes followed by another ton of boxes to install features/applications, no internet allowed then

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I used to build different versions of UNIX, mainly AIX and DEC Alpha and to install was ton's of floppy disks,

just boxes and boxes followed by another ton of boxes to install features/applications, no internet allowed then

You're right. I remember me installing Interactive UNIX, juggling lots and lots of 5.25" disks.

2 hours ago, DjayBee said:

You're right. I remember me installing Interactive UNIX, juggling lots and lots of 5.25" disks.

Things got much better when Linux distros started to become available on CD's. I remember installing Mandrake on an old AMD Sempron in 2003...Good times! 

5 hours ago, xxl said:

It wouldn't work on Atari, there would have to be a cartridge installer version ;-)

Imagine a universal RAM-card (like the ones you can buy in Poland) and a game installable on it ;-) And then you can remove it and install a different game using its installer. No need to have multiple cards, just one.

BTW, I don't see any other reasonable use for a RAM-card. Or I'm not a target.

Edited by Peri Noid

11 hours ago, Peruchi said:

Things got much better when Linux distros started to become available on CD's. I remember installing Mandrake on an old AMD Sempron in 2003...Good times! 

I miss Mandrake.  At the time it was awesome.. it had too many merges and losses over the years and lost all of its charm.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:37 PM, emkay said:

That's not exactly a preview, just a bunch of static pictures displayed on the C64... an actual game wouldn't look like that. On the A8, that'd be like trying to display the PoP title picture with software sprites -and- H/V scrolling (MI & IJ do use fullscreen scrolling if I remember correctly) -and- run the SCUMM engine at the same time. 

If you still think that's doable, show us the way... (static G2F picture with scrolline and music doesn't count!)

On 1/26/2022 at 5:28 AM, Beeblebrox said:

Rick Dangerous has already been in long running development and AFAIK may see the light of day.  (Then again maybe not)

I'd love to see Another World on the A8. Aside a playable demo on the A8 in the 90s I don't think anyone is attempting it.

After 10 years, I'd say RD is up for grabs ?

AW's already been mentioned in this thread... unfortunately, it's plays as well as Dragon's Lair on laserdisc. It was a big disappointment when I saw it on the ST. Great intro though.  I'd be curious to know what you think of the Jaguar port now that you've played PoP...

On 1/26/2022 at 11:51 PM, xxl said:

The source code is ready ?

Would be cool indeed... I gave it some thoughts too but like Wrathchild said it would get shot down on release day ?

On 1/27/2022 at 11:31 AM, MARIO130XE said:

Okay... I also think, any of the older scumm adventure are possible on the lil A8 cuz they don't need lots of CPU time in the game engine.

I think I've read SCUMM is notoriously CPU hungry.

I've got a bunch of ideas... current one that I'm thinking about already exists on the A8 and other platforms and although it's popular, some people hate it. It's simple enough technically but would require some form of kernel coding to look good. Actually, most projects I've got in mind would require a kernel... So I'd say I'm in the procrastinating phase ?

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

That's not exactly a preview, just a bunch of static pictures displayed on the C64... an actual game wouldn't look like that. On the A8, that'd be like trying to display the PoP title picture with software sprites -and- H/V scrolling (MI & IJ do use fullscreen scrolling if I remember correctly) -and- run the SCUMM engine at the same time. 

If you still think that's doable, show us the way... (static G2F picture with scrolline and music doesn't count!)

AW's already been mentioned in this thread... unfortunately, it's plays as well as Dragon's Lair on laserdisc. It was a big disappointment when I saw it on the ST. Great intro though.  I'd be curious to know what you think of the Jaguar port now that you've played PoP...

Would be cool indeed... I gave it some thoughts too but like Wrathchild said it would get shot down on release day ?

I think I've read SCUMM is notoriously CPU hungry.

I've got a bunch of ideas... current one that I'm thinking about already exists on the A8 and other platforms and although it's popular, some people hate it. It's simple enough technically but would require some form of kernel coding to look good. Actually, most projects I've got in mind would require a kernel... So I'd say I'm in the procrastinating phase ?

and yet it's on other platforms and you can download / play it.... I guess you just gotta be sneaky and drop it... run run run... :)

so it looks like you've got some ideas, maybe we just wait and see what finally get your full attention.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

Now things get funny.

You created PoP for the Atari and then doubt about a good looking MI game?

The screen range of Monkey Island is about 18 character lines of height. 

Standard "C64" games use 20 Character lines. 

PoP is about 24 character lines (or 192 graphics lines) . 

And I know that the linked video is not a real demo. 

It's about the used resolution and colors.

And the animations/movement were very restricted. They could get reduced to one update per second. 

Only the protagonist needs a fluent animation. 

Perfect environment to use character mode and GPRIOR 0 (you know this 27 color per scanline thingy) 

And, well. On the Atari, Guybrush Threepwood would have a real skin color :D

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

The RD project is really odd.

The game is "done" to have it easily inside the restriction of a stock Atari (the 32 bytes width solve all CPU problems). 

Possibly it struggled just by the fact that the coder had to do 2 versions. One for the stock Atari, abd one for the VBXE. 

So the time wasn't there, to have it working on the real thing , at least?  

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

@rensoupYeah, good point - if you follow the long running Atarionline.pl Rick Dangerous thread it is increasingly looking like it's not going to be finished. Pity as the screens/vids of the work to date, (incl the VXBE version), were looking good. Must confess this isn't a game I've played before on any other platform.:P

Fair enough re Another World - take your points :thumbsup:- as I say even if we didn't have the game itself I'd love to see if someone would be able, (as faithfully as is possible on the A8), to recreate the intro cut scene movie on perhaps upgraded RAM A8s! :lust: (Just can't see it being possible on stock RAM A8s).

BTW I had planned to play my newly acquired Another World Jaguar title on Friday. Typically the A8 hardware side took over and I've been obessively attempting to fix the broken 800XL I mentioned I'd bought. (In the bitter/sweet  hardware troubleshooting zone right now:-o;)). Once I get that out of the way I'll defintely hook up the Jag to my 21" B&O CRT and boot up the game. Will report back.

@rensoupTBH I am just glad you are contemplating undertaking another project on the A8......given the quality of PoP that can only be a good thing for the A8 scene! :grin:

For what it's worth a few more genres I'd personally love to see attempted on the A8:

• More 3D titles (in light Globe's astoundingly good surprise gift to the A8 community: Final assault; Shanti's impressive 3D engine; Heaven/TQA's work on Vector/Wolf, and of course NRV's mind blowing work on Project-M (4 x vids (PAL) here (PAL) here, (PAL) here and (NTSC) here))
  • A faithful version of the Amiga title Walker. (I made my (albeit layman's) case for it here on this topic thread post in December to save replicating details here). It is a genre of game in it's own right and I loved playing it on my mate's Amiga BITD. It another Psygnosis title.
  • Adventure games like Briley Witch Project on the C64, (again I mentioned it here
  • Point and click games - mentioned that earlier in this thread I know. :grin:
  • I am gonna put this one out there given the amazing Albert multidirectional scrolling platformer - I would love to see an attempt as at sort of clone of Sonic (8-bit) in particular terms of speed of gameplay. (So not a direct attempt at an A8 Sonic port of course - aside obvious A8 graphics limits I think that might have some legal implications heh heh!;))  Alongside Albert, just looking at Crownland, and Dimo's quest (the colours) and also the Tiles demo  (see attached) it does get you wondering how a fast and colourful Sonic type game might be possible. Or if not Sonic then Zool 2 on the Jaguar. (Obviously with a Sonic or Zool 2 type game you'd be talking far less on screen activity and within the limits of the A8 graphically, colour wise, etc. Also you would likely be talking enhanced RAM A8s rather than stock). 

Honestly I would sell a kidney;) to see NRV's Project M Wolfenstein 3D project finished - or at least a playable single level with weapons, enemies, barrels, soundfx! It is an unbelievable achievement and everytime i boot up the 2.0 demo on my CRTs it looks fantastic.

I would also sell the other kidney one to see the legendary Amiga title Battle Squadron on the A8 in whatever guise is possible on A8 hardware!! (We already have the soundtrack Battle Squadron 2x V49.xex and (heh heh) my lil Rastaconverter test attempt at the title screen (attached)   :grin:;)) - (I mean look at Shanti's amazing The Last Squadron (sprite multiplexing).. and Paul Lay's AtariBlast! (in particular the starting level.....amazing!)

The key thing about Battle Squadron  - (aside the dual player mode which I guess wouldn't be possible as too many things on screen) -  are the amazing multicoloured weapon upgrades, the awesome cluster bomb weapon, bosses, soundfx and in game music track. The overall combo of these elements just kept the player coming back for more. Plus you had the option of mouse control. 

The other thing to bear in mind with these games is to have joypad control factored in - the likes of the SNACK adapter for SNES controllers - I've got one and Final Assault with a SNACK/SNES pad is amazing to play using one.

One other thing - I am sure there is likely a good amount of AA followers and Atari fan's don't actually own real hardware and just use emulators like Altirra to play their Atari games. (I don't know this for sure of course). So whilst I know game and software developers are always mindful of supporting stock RAM A8 hardware obviously, there is also the emulator audience which can take advantage of emulated RAM upgrades. So developing games which require more RAM requirements IMHO I guess isn't always a major issue. (Or at least games that have the option of taking advantage of enhanced RAM).

I also suspect quite a few A8 hardware owners have RAM upgraded machines. I own multiple A8 models - both stock and enhanced A8s. 

Anyways, not looking to start a debate regarding stock RAM A8s and upgraded ones. That's been done before and I know it's an emotive subject. Just wanted to make the point that I suspect the audience for Atari 8 bit is a mixture of real A8 owners, (both stock A8s as well as a good few with varying amounts of upgraded RAM), alongside avid emulator users. Of course you are wanting to create games for real hardware in the first instance, stock whereever possible.

Anyways - I'm running out of Kidney's here so will stop my wish list post heh heh. Thanks for reading.:grin:

Battlesquadrontitleincomplete16.xex tiles-filled-pm-pal.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
adding more info
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

I've got a bunch of ideas... current one that I'm thinking about already exists on the A8 and other platforms and although it's popular, some people hate it. It's simple enough technically but would require some form of kernel coding to look good. Actually, most projects I've got in mind would require a kernel... So I'd say I'm in the procrastinating phase

Then maybe give more direction ? There are many coders improving the system, maybe they will find inspiration in your idea and do something new :D

• Like 1

I vote for either finishing Sub Hunter or (even better) a port of Defender of the Crown.

As we already know (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/175028-defender-of-the-crown/) the latter seems doable on the Atari 8-bit because there aren't too many moving objects in this game and a colour palette with more than 16 colours also helps a lot.

I really envy the c64 community for this game.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, patjomki said:

a port of Defender of the Crown.

As we already know (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/175028-defender-of-the-crown/) the latter seems doable on the Atari 8-bit because there aren't too many moving objects in this game and a colour palette with more than 16 colours also helps a lot.

Kind of like "Who's line is it anyway?", where the points (or votes) don't count, but I'd also vote for Defender of the Crown.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, patjomki said:

I vote for either finishing Sub Hunter or (even better) a port of Defender of the Crown.

Sub Hunter is a graphical demonstration.

There are too much moving objects on the screen. The Parallax is adding the problems. 

To make "software sprites" out of the moving objects, the CPU will exhaust. 

Well, there has been a version that is simulating the scrolling with character animations. This could work. 

Defender of the Crown would be a piece of cake to convert. 

If there were people having enough spare time to do that ;)