IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

that flashing is not nice to me. very distracting. the only thing that saves it being even more epilepsy inducing is that the it doesnt scroll in 50hz and therefore masks the extreme shimmering until you stop still.

Edited by STE'86
sentence didnt make sense

14 hours ago, STE'86 said:

interlacing is very old hat on the c64 as is interleaving lines of colour to use chroma noise to give the impression of more colours. the c64 community by and large will not use interlacing tho as its very noticeable and "flickers like a bastard" no matter what u may read elsewhere its a nasty practice.

That is probably even more pronounced at PAL 50Hz compared to 60 Hz NTSC. 

31 minutes ago, slx said:

That is probably even more pronounced at PAL 50Hz compared to 60 Hz NTSC. 

I don't know if it's because I'm using a CRT, in fact a CRT may even make the problem more noticeable? But it's actually not that bad, and I'm running a PAL machine. It's used on the Censor Design Star Wars demo during the opening scene and while the artwork looks amazing, the flickering is barely noticeable. Nothing like Flickerterm on my PAL 600XL with Sophia 2, I use ICE-T as I can't stand the flickering.

The thing is: As soon as you play a game with movement, something you're focused on and interacting with, then it becomes noticeable enough to be distracting.

Edited by Mazzspeed

Actually this is the main lead-in image for the Genesis version (after the title, with the vizier, princess, and logo).

Pretty nice variation, actually. First time I'd seen it, tonight.

Whether the Atari 8-bit could render a decent version of it, that's another thing. Some color reduction and changes, maybe cropping... probably could work something up.

1873204392_GenesisPalace.thumb.png.548609d1b154455fb3f52beabc5cce85.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Actually this is the main lead-in image for the Genesis version (after the title, with the vizier, princess, and logo).

Pretty nice variation, actually. First time I'd seen it, tonight.

Whether the Atari 8-bit could render a decent version of it, that's another thing. Some color reduction and changes, maybe cropping... probably could work something up.

1873204392_GenesisPalace.thumb.png.548609d1b154455fb3f52beabc5cce85.png

Interesting, but indeed it is a "console style" and I feel it lacks taste... Colours don't play well together, a bit too much of everything (mostly big leafs on top and at the bottom) and there's no title.

This earlier proposal would be a dream choice for me:

title.png.f4d923d9d5637f3124953b130f5b1001.png.1c6680c034e9a176a931ebb6b26e9a65.png

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

Interesting, but indeed it is a "console style" and I feel it lacks taste... Colours don't play well together, a bit too much of everything (mostly big leafs on top and at the bottom) and there's no title.

This earlier proposal would be a dream choice for me:

If you look at what I said -- in addition to the image posted -- you can see I wasn't proposing to leave it as is; and I'd never propose any image for the title

without the logo being included (at least at some point during the lead-in).

So, as a quick mock-up, this is generally what I had in mind. Maybe add a few more leaves to the side and lower portion, or eliminate the leaves altogether.

It's actually somewhat similar to the image I was working on previously (unfinished), but embellishes the background, which I think is an improvement.

Probably doable on the A8, because of the way the colors are distributed.

I'm not even sure the developer is interested in any title screen ideas -- as he already has the mouse-centric title going. I'm just throwing some ideas out

in light of the ongoing conversation -- in which I'm pretty sure he already rejected your dream choice.

1738064674_princemoon-scaled.thumb.png.cebdc4b13405e552cab579a5283cdc1f.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

If you look at what I said -- in addition to the image posted -- you can see I wasn't proposing to leave it as is; and I'd never propose any image for the title

So, as a quick mock-up, this is generally what I had in mind. Maybe add a few more leaves to the side and lower portion, or eliminate the leaves altogether.

It's actually somewhat similar to the image I was working on previously (unfinished), but embellishes the background, which I think is an improvement.

I'm not even sure the developer is interested in any title screen ideas -- as he already has the mouse-centric title going. I'm just throwing some ideas out

in light of the ongoing conversation -- in which I'm pretty sure he already rejected your dream choice.

This is more like it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrFish said:

This mockup is very nice indeed. Now it would be interesting to see how the RastaConverter copes with it ?

9 minutes ago, Jacques said:

This mockup is very nice indeed. Now it would be interesting to see how the RastaConverter copes with it ?

This really wasn't a proposition for RastaConverter. It might come out alright, but this is more of an idea of a starting point for hand-conversion and Graph2Font.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MrFish said:

This really wasn't a proposition for RastaConverter. It might come out alright, but this is more of an idea of a starting point for hand-conversion and Graph2Font.

I didn't write it was, I only wrote it would be interesting to see one ;)

For sure someone doing it in Graph2Font would be ideal but that will not happen "blindly" (without accepted plan of using it in PoP), while RC is relatively cheap conversion and already telling something :)

4 minutes ago, Jacques said:

I didn't write it was, I only wrote it would be interesting to see one ;)

For sure someone doing it in Graph2Font would be ideal but that will not happen "blindly" (without accepted plan of using it in PoP), while RC is relatively cheap conversion and already telling something :)

Agreed, although there are a few things that could be done rather cheaply beforehand that would aid in having a better outcome in RasterConverter too. For instance, this image is 320 x 240. Seeing the logo is already available in 160 width, it could just be inserted here. The reason I used 320 is because it may be possible to maintain 320 on the upper portion, and 160 on the lower, in Graph2Font. Rasta can't do that. I also think some quick pre-processing of the rest of the image would prevent -- for instance -- some unwanted, harsh transitions between colors when it gets downsampled; Rasta can add dithering, but I find I can get more directed results by downsampling and dithering in Photoshop first.

24 minutes ago, Jacques said:

...RC is relatively cheap conversion and already telling something :)

Having already spent many hours with similar Prince of Persia images, I already have a good enough idea what's possible here to start with; but I can see where others might want to be convinced.

Edited by MrFish

22 hours ago, STE'86 said:

that flashing is not nice to me. very distracting. the only thing that saves it being even more epilepsy inducing is that the it doesnt scroll in 50hz and therefore masks the extreme shimmering until you stop still.

It does mention in the YT description:

-50 frames per second gameplay, few slowdowns

Obviously YT compression isn't going to help.

But to get back to the PoP BBCM version, I find purple skin to be more distracting than flickering but yeah different taste...