IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

19 hours ago, rensoup said:

So I've got bad news... I'm delaying the release by a week... new release date:

19th october 2021

Oh, well, we can wait for another week ?

In the meantime I created a packaging to put this game on my shelves ? it is based on the original Apple II artwork. Sadly I could not find good high res scans of the cover, the back and the label, so I had the use the ones with lower quality. I replaced the screenshots with Atari 8-bit screenshots (ripped from Youtube) and tried to remove some very bad creases and stains. I think it is quite nice.

poppackage.thumb.jpg.7fdff127cb538fbbdcf4c6cd0c062e89.jpg

I am now working at adapting the original Apple II manual ?

I have attached the PDFs to this post, so if others like it feel free to print them yourselves. One PDF is in A4 format (can be used in A5 jewel/calendar cases), the other is slightly wider (a few centimeters) so it fits perfectly in European disk-wallets (which were used by a.o. US Gold, Red Rat and English Software). The 3rd PDF is an adaptation of the label.

popa4.pdf popdiskwallet.pdf poplabel.pdf

Edited by Fred_M
typos
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

18 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Compared to PoP, I fail to see just how The Last Ninja could be classed as 'boring' considering it's actually more involved than PoP and actually has a pretty good soundtrack while playing the game.

Great, you get started on that conversion then and ban yourself from this thread.

Or perhaps @tep392 can help you with that...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473x7mmotyogkwehd8ap

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Sure it will not look the same as the C64 version - the A8's lack of colour attributes, fixed resolution and much less numerous sprites are going to force compromises. So it won't wow a C64 owner, the Atari simply cannot match the features equally that they leverage in the game. But that's not the point is it, if you want the C64 version play that one, this is about a conversion.

I get what you're saying and that is one option.
Imho it would look similar to this, with maybe little better palette:

The Last Ninja - BBC - BBC Micro - Ingames

If I would ever have time in this life to code something like that, I would go for radical A8 strong side like PalBlending :)

Put it on cart, have every frame shifted-unrolled draw code on cart. Something like this could work in a decent frame rate for this to be fun.

Having almost 16 colors to choose from and that's with all pm gfx still free... Just my 5 cents...

ps. Test in altirra with scanlines and pal effects turned on.

image.thumb.png.0e2590eaa4b000737bec7d7054ea77c0.png

ninja3.xex

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, youxia said:

This is a nice image, but the scanlines are too strong. No TV or monitor had gaps so big.

Test on real atari and crt tv if you can. Other option, Altirra. I'm not saying it's perfect, just that I would love to try making a game in that mode.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Test on real atari and crt tv if you can. Other option, Altirra. I'm not saying it's perfect, just that I would love to try making a game in that mode.

I will tomorrow when I have a spare moment. Not criticizing, just a bit of advice, because gaps too big ruin the image.

11 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

My BVM does. Perfect alignment between the 3 electron guns does it.

Sure, but nobody had BVMs back then and a very small number of people has now. The "thicc scanlines" are an unnatural modern fad.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rensoup said:

The final build isn't the final build anymore and I ran out of disk space...

I need 3 sectors for the DD version and 8 sectors for the SD version... So it's byte hunting season again!

If you don't use directory sectors (except the first one, because you have indexed files) then you have 7 sectors free, a real connoisseur would also use $168 for data - completely unnecessary for DOS in this case. total: 8

---

TLN has written on my heart and so has JetSetWilly - a game you just load to listen to music ?

the only thing that connects TLN and PoP is:
who remembers the author of the TLN game? nobody.
who doesn't know the author of PoP - also no one ;-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, popmilo said:

This is right on the sweet-spot for LCDs, on both digital-to-digital and analog(processor)-to-digital setups:

E6DE1BCC-BB26-48D2-851D-EA1C68CB1FC0.thumb.jpeg.5830774dcae6177b6733d25a7c87ccef.jpeg

There will be (most likely) color blending when outputting analog via Composite (Y+C), as shown on right-side (which means if color is tuned on source, it is possible to achieve very interesting color rendition through this interface, not possible on digital-to-digital interface).

LEFT is Sophia-II, on "naked" DVI-D output, direct to DVI interface of LCD, for final upscaling and sharpening through LCD's own video-engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xxl said:

If you don't use directory sectors (except the first one, because you have indexed files) then you have 7 sectors free, a real connoisseur would also use $168 for data - completely unnecessary for DOS in this case. total: 8

Yes I've already recycled the directory sectors ?

The $168 I don't know... but I may have a plan (I may be able to merge some files)

1 hour ago, xxl said:

TLN has written on my heart and so has JetSetWilly - a game you just load to listen to music ?

TLN music is awesome that's why people still remember the game I think

• Like 2

Looks good, but you lose a lot of CPU time in doing the alternating lines of colour/luma.

Maybe narrow mode using Pokey Timers like the Wolf/Doom demo?  That will free up cycles though the smaller viewport mightn't work well for TLN.

Edited by Rybags

Hmmm,

if there would be no Numen demo, errmm, Fuji logo intro, this would save a lot of sectors on the disk (more than eight), I guess. And one would not have to load it again and again, when one simply wants to play POP.

Instead of one 180k and/or two 90k disks (images), one could also use the damned/cursed 130k format and publish POP on two 130k disks (images).

But its the authors decision, not mine (just making stupid suggestions here).

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 12:20 AM, rensoup said:

So I've got bad news... I'm delaying the release by a week... new release date:

19th october 2021

The final build isn't the final build anymore and I ran out of disk space...

I need 3 sectors for the DD version and 8 sectors for the SD version... So it's byte hunting season again!

That's not bad news. The best thing to say is that finally version for 8-bit Atari exists. And that's not all, it's great port.

Thank you for all your hard work and time put into this project.

Hats down, congratulations.

?

I suggest others to direct conversation about other stuff elsewhere.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

Looks good, but you lose a lot of CPU time in doing the alternating lines of colour/luma.

Maybe narrow mode using Pokey Timers like the Wolf/Doom demo?  That will free up cycles though the smaller viewport mightn't work well for TLN.

Yeah, pokey irq could help. Imho even with only border cpu cycles, you can draw a pair of such large soft sprites in less than two frames. 25fps for kick-punch gameplay should be enough.
We won't know for sure till someone tries :)

6 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

if there would be no Numen demo, errmm, Fuji logo intro, this would save a lot of sectors on the disk (more than eight), I guess. And one would not have to load it again and again, when one simply wants to play POP

You could use one of the cart versions, then it takes a few seconds to load/skip...

You really needed to complain about that ?

Since you seem to know this project inside out, can you tell me how many sectors I would save by removing the intro from diskA while I need 8 sectors on diskB ?

• Like 2