IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

59 minutes ago, rensoup said:

You could use one of the cart versions, then it takes a few seconds to load/skip...

You really needed to complain about that ?

Since you seem to know this project inside out, can you tell me how many sectors I would save by removing the intro from diskA while I need 8 sectors on diskB ?

I did not complain.

You asked how to get 8 more free sectors and I gave two simple (stupid?) suggestions. Think the second one is not so stupid or is it ? A 90k disk (image) has space for 720 sectors, a 130k disk (image) has space for 1040 sectors, so instead of two 90k disks (images) you could simply use two 130k disks (images).

Also wrote that these are just suggestions and it is the authors (=your) decision what to do and not mine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

I did not complain.

9 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

And one would not have to load it again and again, when one simply wants to play POP.

I must have misread the above quote then... and you got approval from 2 serial complainers, I think that says a lot...

I can understand a valid complaint but saying that loading a demo wastes your precious time... after all that work...and with all the options available (cart or emulator) I just can't believe the crap I'm reading.

If it's too much hassle for you to have load a demo, try a different version. I recommend playing the A2 version which I believe requires flipping disks every time you go back to the intro sequence.

2 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

You asked how to get 8 more free sectors and I gave two simple (stupid?) suggestions. Think the second one is not so stupid or is it ?

I did not ask how to get free sectors, I just stated why the release was delayed.

Doesn't prevent anybody from making suggestions but suggesting cutting off content which you happen not to like, why didn't that cross my mind ?

Last year's demos used a 130KB disk.

1. Go back to the beginning of this thread and someone asked for a 90KB disk version for those who have 810 drives. 2. The game takes 138KB without including the potentially wasted last sectors ( and without the demo )

Taking into consideration the 2 facts above I chose 2 SD disks and 1 DD disk.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

if there would be no Numen demo, errmm, Fuji logo intro, this would save a lot of sectors on the disk (more than eight), I guess. And one would not have to load it again and again, when one simply wants to play POP.

Instead of one 180k and/or two 90k disks (images), one could also use the damned/cursed 130k format and publish POP on two 130k disks (images).

But its the authors decision, not mine (just making stupid suggestions here).

Me can watch the intro for hours

• Like 2

I posted some covers for this game in a previous post. This time the manual. It is the first version, so if anyone find errors, please let me know.

The manual is based on the original IBM/Tandy manual and was adapted for the Atari 8-bit version by me.

popmanual_v0.1.pdf

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I realise its a close to release, but any idea why this config doesn't work (same settings on Altirra fail too).
Config is XL/XE with 64K RAM but with VBXE enabled to share RAM via PORTB (base of $D600 or $D700 doesn't matter).

Crash Occurs after mouse load icon disappears. 

[Edit] my bad, Vbxe is sharing extended ram space so as there is none with a 64K machine, none to share, i.e. vbxe is not a ram expansion.

Will see if Turbo Freezer might lend the RAM

image.png.90e44a2ffa7e6cca934f9cd48f5002e4.png

image.thumb.png.3941998f55f2e82a0f8ea564cffdb31b.png

Edited by Wrathchild

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Nothing wrong with a nice intro as long as they can be skipped past for people returning to the game.

During the early beta testing of "Adam Is Me" option to skip the intro was the second most requested feature. I added a very small loader that allows it, so time to enter the game is greatly reduced. On cart version the intro can be skipped with fire.

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Yep, was editing my post as you posted.

[Edit] the ram test app also reports no XRAM when the TF2011 is plugged in so not sure what I'm doing wrong here or does the plugged in cart interfere with the TF?

20211010_180446.jpg

Here, on 800 / Incognito:

Tried config. set to XL 64KB, extended RaM via TurboFreezer (512KB) on PBI bus, and launched PoP from Ultimate/SD and AVG carts...

Worked like a charm!

(NOTE: my TurboFreezer HW version is same as yours)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Indeed, so not just skipping the intro, skipping loading the intro.

On atarionline.pl it's mentioned "wait for the hacks" (more in regards to replacing the title picture i think) so I guess if rensoupp doesn't do it someone else will

There will always be buffoons doing dumb things... lame hacks are part of the Atari 8bit world.

I remember playing a hacked version of Alley Cat, when you failed it displayed some text, on my version is displayed "FAG!" ?

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rensoup said:

There will always be buffoons doing dumb things... lame hacks are part of the Atari 8bit world.

I remember playing a hacked version of Alley Cat, when you failed it displayed some text, on my version is displayed "FAG!" ?

yes, today the tools are better, but so what if their hearts are pumping the same blood of a man who can only spoil the work of others... patho-sceners

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Indeed, so not just skipping the intro, skipping loading the intro.

On atarionline.pl it's mentioned "wait for the hacks" (more in regards to replacing the title picture i think) so I guess if rensoupp doesn't do it someone else will

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

are you trying to offend @TIX ? ;-)

and other outstanding hacks by him.

Edited by ilmenit

34 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

are you trying to offend @TIX ? ;-)

That's a ridiculous argument, TIX's hack are always better than the original otherwise he wouldn't publish them. 

Anybody's entitled to have an opinion on content... usually the loudest complainers don't actually have the skills to improve over what they're complaining about.

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 2

Ah the beauty of language, pretty sure we are on the side of a lame hack being one that is not so good or impressive, therefore lame. Rather than all hacks inherently being lame.

But I hack multi-side disks into single images and I guess my ex would find that lame whereas others might not. Eye of the beholder and all that ? 

TBF there was a wink in his post.

Edited by Wrathchild

6 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

TBF there was a wink in his post.

Winks are often taken to be sarcastic -- whether they were intended as such or not -- especially in disagreements/debates. ;)

Text + emoticons/emoji are often woefully inadequate for expressing the subtleties of conversation.

If you're getting a succession of "thumbs up" from any woman in chat, beware. :D

14 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

But I hack multi-side disks into single images and I guess my ex would find that lame whereas others might not. Eye of the beholder and all that ? 

I don't see anything wrong putting multidisks into a single image unless you decided to remove the title pic in the process or some dumb stuff like that...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rensoup said:

That's a ridiculous argument, TIX's hack are always better than the original otherwise he wouldn't publish them. 

Man, peace, it had a wink + it was exactly my point: some hacks can improve quality of a previously released software (especially if authors do not want to work on it further). I believe addition of option to enter the main game without loading the intro would be exactly such hack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

lame hacks are part of the Atari 8bit world.

The "lame" part is not the worst... The really bad part is the dumb-fuck scrollers (forgiving my colorful language, here) with all the piracy-mastering self-glorification that some of these hacks appeared with... including complete obliteration of legitimate copyright messages.

The "tiny-computing" mentality, all over-the-place (SW-titles)... (you will be surprised with the clapping-seals that still roam these parts approving such "achievements"...)