Jump to content
rensoup

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

Recommended Posts

two keys at once without a re-code, shift or control key or combined scan code maybe.

 

Don't lose heart. If you think think this was tough going- there is also twitter and the like with their comments etc. over every and anything - usually much more ruthless and terrible. This is the way of the internet and cooped up people.

 

I still feel the love! I hope you do too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Level42 said:

OK where can we download it ?

Needs testing! but perhaps I can tweak it a little more before that 😮

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I still feel the love! I hope you do too!

I do! 

 

YT comments are actually nicer, which is kind of surprising but I guess it's because they just see the final product without getting a chance to complain!

 

Moral of the story would be: don't anounce/release anything before it's done but I just keep in mind that the most vocal complainers are a tiny fraction of the userbase.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I missing something?  I tried the cartridge and disk versions and was able to quit the intro/demo by pressing the joystick button.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Am I missing something?

Yep, the version talked about hasn't been released yet so you'd be hard pressed to skip something only just added.

Watch the video here:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rensoup said:

Moral of the story would be: don't anounce/release anything before it's done but I just keep in mind that the most vocal complainers are a tiny fraction of the userbase.

No, you just have to be immune to hate.... publish your progress and if someone uses it then ok, if not then its their problem 🙂 Advice can be listened to but if someone thinks you have to do that way then flush him down the toilet. 
Unfortunately, authors are rarely immune to criticism, there were a few cool projects killed by the ideas of a clown who does not understand his own equipment or blackmail that they will not use if he does not do something ;-) and often the author starts to realize "not his" project and loses enthusiasm.

 

More distance, what you do is to give joy to you and not to some no-life on the internet.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, rensoup said:

That's like saying it's true because you've read it on twitter. Games are focus tested, if this was a major issue it would be addressed.

I do not agree with your opinion here but I see it's a feedback you are not willing to take.

11 hours ago, rensoup said:

Really? After 100+ pages of nagging over non issues, you don't understand why my patience is wearing thin ?

Keep up the good work and stay strong with the nerves. People who have different opinion than you are not your enemies.

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on people. Rensoup obviously invested a lot of time and energy to present a GIFT to the community. And unlike many other enthusiasts posting on this Atari board he and his collaborators present a FINISHED gift. Rensoup is not paid or sponsored for what he is doing so please avoid nitpicking and pay some respect instead. The least we can do is to say MANY THANKS!

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it funny when people attack people who release free projects. To the idiots (you know who you are) if you don’t like it go away. To the coder thanks for all that you do, unfortunately some people online like to attack coders while screaming up to their mom that they need a snack brought down to the basement.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Schnurrikowski said:

Come on people. Rensoup obviously invested a lot of time and energy to present a GIFT to the community. And unlike many other enthusiasts posting on this Atari board he and his collaborators present a FINISHED gift. Rensoup is not paid or sponsored for what he is doing so please avoid nitpicking and pay some respect instead. The least we can do is to say MANY THANKS!

 

I thinks this sums everything up!

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THANKS Rensoup for this awesome port!  I'm looking forward to putting together my boxed floppy disk copy using Fred_M's box/label/manual design.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

 

Yep, the version talked about hasn't been released yet so you'd be hard pressed to skip something only just added.

Watch the video here:

 

Oh ok I did miss that.  So no option to quit the intro early?  Damn that would be irritating.  Oh well, it's his project and he can do what he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been testing it for a while and it's not irritating at all and I've been rebooting over and over and moving from machine to machine. 

 

My boot times currently are:

 

Cart - 25s (3 to load and quit the intro, 10 for the sound randomizer, 7 to the title screen, 5 to the game)

SD - 1m45s (25 to load and quit the intro, 10 for the sound randomizer, 41 to disk swap, 15 to the title screen, 15 to the game)

DD - 1m35s (22 to load and quit the intro, 10 for the sound randomizer, 50 to title screen, 13 to the game)

 

Not being able to fast forward to the end of the sound randomizer is the most annoying bit and that is only 10 seconds!

 

Once it's loaded, how long do you think it's going to be running before you reboot? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my mind's eye I can see how in 1988 after the release of Zybex on Zeppelin Games there were letters from crying teenagers that they released the game on cassette and it takes a long time to load 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want irritating, I'll just say Lenslok and leave it at that.

 

20 mins waiting for Fighter Pilot to load only to discover that you couldn't read the damn code so struggling to adjust everything just right to get past the copy protection, then starting the game and realising the frame rate is too slow for a flightsim and you suck at them anyway.

 

Best £9.99 I ever spent

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ilmenit said:

 

I do not agree with your opinion here but I see it's a feedback you are not willing to take.

Keep up the good work and stay strong with the nerves. People who have different opinion than you are not your enemies.

Like I keep saying, you have options, if you can reach the game in 25s, I consider it a non issue...

 

I'm fine with different opinions but insisting that I should change something should backed up by reasonable arguments. If it's a question of preference, my preference will prevail because I'm spending the hours doing the work.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Not being able to fast forward to the end of the sound randomizer is the most annoying bit and that is only 10 seconds!

I've actually sped it up because it's indeed the slowest part for the cart version!

 

I still want it to be obvious enough for people to realize that there are different sound options though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Oh ok I did miss that.  So no option to quit the intro early?  Damn that would be irritating.  Oh well, it's his project and he can do what he wants.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rensoup said:

I've actually sped it up because it's indeed the slowest part for the cart version!

 

I still want it to be obvious enough for people to realize that there are different sound options though

I'd make it so that hitting a button stops the letters from noodling around on the screen and immediately jumps them to the final text display. You can watch the full 10 seconds because it's cool the first few times or when you are showing it off to your mates and on later boots you can just hit a button to jump to the end. The final text is on screen for 2 seconds, maybe make that 3 if a button was pressed so it stays there long enough to read it.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xxl said:

In my mind's eye I can see how in 1988 after the release of Zybex on Zeppelin Games there were letters from crying teenagers that they released the game on cassette and it takes a long time to load 🙂

That is one of the reason why I „cracked“ most of my bought tapes to a disk version and started to code intros etc 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and here you get the game in all formats and with an intro :D

 

all you have to do is wave the joystick

 

---

of course there are unnecessary slowdowns in the game like character animation or having to climb.... maybe the author will make it possible to bypass these inconveniences and we will be able to simply change rooms in half a second?

Edited by xxl
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rensoup said:

I still want it to be obvious enough for people to realize that there are different sound options though

Do not take it as a request, because I agree that with the cart the loading time is very good. Just asking - maybe it could be displayed during the loading?

Edited by ilmenit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2021 at 3:46 AM, xxl said:

No, you just have to be immune to hate....

😎 Made me remember about this... 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I'd make it so that hitting a button stops the letters from noodling around on the screen and immediately jumps them to the final text display. You can watch the full 10 seconds because it's cool the first few times or when you are showing it off to your mates and on later boots you can just hit a button to jump to the end. The final text is on screen for 2 seconds, maybe make that 3 if a button was pressed so it stays there long enough to read it.

 

 

 

Yes it sounds easy, but you try to figure out that code 😵 This is not a PC where I have the luxury of adding parameters so that I can have a different looking wave every time, that's why it's always the same.

 

I've made it faster already (and it looks crappier as a result) but I can't make it even faster because everything starts messing up 😏 and I really don't care about debugging it.

 

12 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Do not take it as a request, because I agree that with the cart the loading time is very good. Just asking - maybe it could be displayed during the loading?

 

The screen is off during loading, just the mere fact of enabling screen DMA slows down loading... possibly because of the PMG animation, but again it's not something that's significant enough to worry about it.

 

Working on that kind of things just gives a false sense of accomplishment. Those who get trapped into that cycle usually don't finish their projects.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...