IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

5 hours ago, Level42 said:

Maybe PCBWay designed these themselves ? Or they give a rebate when allowed to put their name on them ? I don't know

They are designed by users and shared on the pcbway site as a community service, there are lots of interesting projects on there. Including the OSS 4-in-1 cart that is currently popular. 

6 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Forgive my colorful language but... what a poorly designed cart-PCB that is...

Among the worst I have seen! Has little to do with A8 carts... in facts, it appears as a general-use derivative card of another edge-type project.

Ignoring the fancy art at the top the rest is a pig to make a case for

The cartridge shell could be a relief or embossed version across the entirety of the cart so It would still fit inside the 800 or 1200 tunnel and still be quite stylized... you don't need to tack a top on cart... just work in the cartridge dimensions and us some negative space...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:
9 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Forgive my colorful language but... what a poorly designed cart-PCB that is...

Among the worst I have seen! Has little to do with A8 carts... in facts, it appears as a general-use derivative card of another edge-type project.

Ignoring the fancy art at the top the rest is a pig to make a case for

It's not a 2600 cart as they only have 12 pins.  This has 15 pins - why do you say it is not an A8 cart?

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It's not a 2600 cart as they only have 12 pins.  This has 15 pins - why do you say it is not an A8 cart?

I didn't say it's not an A8 cart, in fact it's listed _as_ an a8 cart! I just said its difficult to make a case for carts like that. 

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The cartridge could be a relief or embossed version across the entirety of the cart so It would still fit inside the 800 or 1200 tunnel and still be quite stylized... you don't need to tack a top on cart... just work in the cartridge dimensions and us some negative space...

Probably better to use a readily available injection moulded cart shell. No one's going to pay for a custom injection moulded case and a 3d printed one is inferior in many ways. it would raise the cost and reduce the quality.

• Like 2

I can see you all love that idea of a custom cart shape ?

Like I said it could be a dumb idea but I would at least like to find out for sure, and it would be shaped to fit within the dimensions of a regular cart shell (and would require a custom PCB but let's not get carried away).

The PCBWay stuff is not what I had in mind but it's still interesting to see.

As for saving, it's obviously not standard (and would take too much code space) so I'll just keep the cheat code.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

How a pico sized projector that draws power from the cartridge port and projects an image of the prince either into the roof (130XE) or into your face (800XL)? :-D That would really be a special cartridge everyone talks about.

Why thinking so small, let's make the projector holographic!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I suppose manufacturing a custom joystick where the shaft is shaped like the prince (compare with the Bart Simpson joystick) would be too expensive. Even just making the grip in order to use it with a Wico Three Way (to which extent those even are popular) probably is costly.

Over at the HSC, some of the players have found that a modified Genesis gamepad is more usable than a traditional joystick. That might be a cheaper option, to source a decent Atari friendly gamepad with PoP print and/or shape if you would make a smaller commercial run (assuming you get the rights to using the artwork etc).

• Haha 1