Jump to content
rensoup

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Level42 said:

Maybe PCBWay designed these themselves ? Or they give a rebate when allowed to put their name on them ? I don't know

They are designed by users and shared on the pcbway site as a community service, there are lots of interesting projects on there. Including the OSS 4-in-1 cart that is currently popular. 
 

6 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Forgive my colorful language but... what a poorly designed cart-PCB that is...

 

Among the worst I have seen! Has little to do with A8 carts... in facts, it appears as a general-use derivative card of another edge-type project.

Ignoring the fancy art at the top the rest is a pig to make a case for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cartridge shell could be a relief or embossed version across the entirety of the cart so It would still fit inside the 800 or 1200 tunnel and still be quite stylized... you don't need to tack a top on cart... just work in the cartridge dimensions and us some negative space...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:
9 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Forgive my colorful language but... what a poorly designed cart-PCB that is...

 

Among the worst I have seen! Has little to do with A8 carts... in facts, it appears as a general-use derivative card of another edge-type project.

Ignoring the fancy art at the top the rest is a pig to make a case for

It's not a 2600 cart as they only have 12 pins.  This has 15 pins - why do you say it is not an A8 cart?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2021 at 11:37 PM, Atari8guy said:

Vamers-Artistry-The-Fresh-Prince-of-Pers

 

How about this for the next project? (stolen from reddit)

🎼 I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Tehran 🎵

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It's not a 2600 cart as they only have 12 pins.  This has 15 pins - why do you say it is not an A8 cart?

I didn't say it's not an A8 cart, in fact it's listed _as_ an a8 cart! I just said its difficult to make a case for carts like that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The cartridge could be a relief or embossed version across the entirety of the cart so It would still fit inside the 800 or 1200 tunnel and still be quite stylized... you don't need to tack a top on cart... just work in the cartridge dimensions and us some negative space...

Probably better to use a readily available injection moulded cart shell. No one's going to pay for a custom injection moulded case and a 3d printed one is inferior in many ways. it would raise the cost and reduce the quality.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see you all love that idea of a custom cart shape 😀

 

Like I said it could be a dumb idea but I would at least like to find out for sure, and it would be shaped to fit within the dimensions of a regular cart shell (and would require a custom PCB but let's not get carried away).

 

The PCBWay stuff is not what I had in mind but it's still interesting to see.

 

As for saving, it's obviously not standard (and would take too much code space) so I'll just keep the cheat code.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't the 3D printing guys come up with something that clips (glue if you were brave enough to.make it permanent) to the top of existing casings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Couldn't the 3D printing guys come up with something that clips (glue if you were brave enough to.make it permanent) to the top of existing casings?

Prince of Persia Cart - Turban Edition?

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How a pico sized projector that draws power from the cartridge port and projects an image of the prince either into the roof (130XE) or into your face (800XL)? :-D That would really be a special cartridge everyone talks about.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carlsson said:

How a pico sized projector that draws power from the cartridge port and projects an image of the prince either into the roof (130XE) or into your face (800XL)? :-D That would really be a special cartridge everyone talks about.

Why thinking so small, let's make the projector holographic!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose manufacturing a custom joystick where the shaft is shaped like the prince (compare with the Bart Simpson joystick) would be too expensive. Even just making the grip in order to use it with a Wico Three Way (to which extent those even are popular) probably is costly.

 

Over at the HSC, some of the players have found that a modified Genesis gamepad is more usable than a traditional joystick. That might be a cheaper option, to source a decent Atari friendly gamepad with PoP print and/or shape if you would make a smaller commercial run (assuming you get the rights to using the artwork etc).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Can't we just put a toy mouse in the box? 

 

Maybe a rubber poo to fling?

 

I like the poo idea, I guess it would match the brown color of my XL keyboard! 💩💩

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Leono said:

@rensoup Yandex Museum of retro computers here, we're gathering a video conference with Jordan and author of another PoP port for another machine, and wanted to invite you as well. Please check your PM.

That'd be crazy, not sure I'd have much to say though😄

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2021 at 12:48 AM, rensoup said:

As for saving, it's obviously not standard (and would take too much code space) so I'll just keep the cheat code.

OK I give up.Where are those cheat codes ? I do hope those are level codes, not "no dying" codes....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2021 at 2:15 PM, Peruchi said:

I like the poo idea, I guess it would match the brown color of my XL keyboard! 💩💩

XL keyboards are black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Serious?? Take a picture of one in bright light.

 

Ha, yeah they have always been a dark brown I thought.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Level42 said:

OK I give up.Where are those cheat codes ? I do hope those are level codes, not "no dying" codes....?

Patience, there may be one more release...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...