IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

55 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Not really, I like more advanced sounds as an option, ran it only for a little while, but my initial impression was the game was slowing more with some movement during sounds of opening gate, etc. Hard to present it, I guess Rybags mentioned RMT player more CPU-consuming, but maybe you could compare it with FPS counter on your disposal? :)

Well you're the only one who's seen this so far... I think I would have noticed too ? but if you can post a screenshot of  a room where it happens, I'll have a closer look...

(like I said the sound player is the sound player is identical for both banks)

19 minutes ago, Jacques said:

I think Rybags looked for possible reason why lower menu options are not available/active:

still don't see what that's got to do with basic ?

OK, there's new Saberman's movie where one could hear sound glitches when opening gate interefere's with footsteps, let's start from 1:30:

I'm not Atari coder, but it seems like it's short of CPU time, plus there are the moments where movement seems to suffer more than on 1st sound-bank.

E.g. approaching the gate when running after 1:44:

To me it's no problem, even if there are such slow-downs, there's a choice between two banks, but if it's not about CPU-time used by sound-player, maybe it could be fixed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking very good.. I'm glad I opted for the memory upgrade for my 65XE while it's being fixed. What SD card floppy drive simulator would this work on?

As for the CPC - the recent port of Pinball Dreams shows what it can do but I think Prince of Persia on it is quite good but I agree, it could be better. The animation is among the best the CPC has to offer.

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

OK, there's new Saberman's movie where one could hear sound glitches when opening gate interefere's with footsteps, let's start from 1:30:

It's the same as the previous release, that's how PoP works, it can only play 1 SFX at a time, I gave some of them priority over others so that it didn't sound weird.

Again it should be the same as in the previous release... maybe you can verify that ?

I'm not Atari coder, but it seems like it's short of CPU time, plus there are the moments where movement seems to suffer more than on 1st sound-bank.

E.g. approaching the gate when running after 1:44:

Except that he's using SFX bank 1 ?

PoP is all about slowdowns, like I said in the past it's one of its trademarks ?, try the BBC/Apple2/C64 version and you'll see... It can get worse.

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zeropolis79 said:

Looking very good.. I'm glad I opted for the memory upgrade for my 65XE while it's being fixed. What SD card floppy drive simulator would this work on?

no idea... sorry

1 hour ago, zeropolis79 said:

As for the CPC - the recent port of Pinball Dreams shows what it can do but I think Prince of Persia on it is quite good but I agree, it could be better. The animation is among the best the CPC has to offer.

the CPC is probably on a different league, as I understand, it's much more powerful than a A8

• Like 1

POP on the Atari is playing just as well as on any platform if not better, I remember it well on on tandy and pc back in the day... this kind of performance and nice graphics are simply great for ANY of the offerings. Great work, just a few touch ups and fix ups is all. It's going to fine and we are getting something great! Thanks to the team for all their hard work!

• Like 4

While it's great for CPC there was PoP for it back in the days and it was very colourful, their animation is not actually that good. I don't mean the slown-downs, which are there on every 8-bit like rensoup pointed out, but CPC's protagonist's moves have less frames in general. 

That said, years later, but Atari got extraordinary conversion animation- and gfx- wise, and on that ocassion, it doesn't need all the ROM memory C64 version uses on EasyFlash cartridge. 

Incredible! 

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

PoP is all about slowdowns, like I said in the past it's one of its trademarks ?, try the BBC/Apple2/C64 version and you'll see... It can get worse.

BTW, is there any intent to use throttling? Some animations sequences seem a bit fast to me. Throttling would also make the slowdowns seem a bit less so.

2 hours ago, Wilheim said:

I tried a little and the game crashed at level 05. Here's a screenshot:

Thanks for the screenshot, hopefully this happens 100%... I notice it's NTSC ?

2 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Apparently, there was a write at $898C that makes a KIL instruction during a DLI interrupt.

Not exactly, as far as I can tell it's hitting my 'Assert' where the number of DLIs triggered is wrong... possibly because the VBi takes too long in NTSC...

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

BTW, is there any intent to use throttling? Some animations sequences seem a bit fast to me. Throttling would also make the slowdowns seem a bit less so.

There already is... 3 frames is the minimum. Of course 3 frames mean 50/3= 17fps in PAL or 60/3=20fps in NTSC, so NTSC will feel a bit faster when there is very little going on.

I could make it 3 for PAL and 4 for NTSC or an option in the menu...

?

I just realized that this may have an impact on the game's clock... I'm actually subtracting the number of screen refreshes it takes to render a frame even though for a frame needing 3 refreshes and another needing 7 refreshes, the prince moved the same amount... duh... I should subtract a fixed amount...

That said, years later, but Atari got extraordinary conversion animation- and gfx- wise, and on that ocassion, it doesn't need all the ROM memory C64 version uses on EasyFlash cartridge. 

Incredible! 

The C64 version seems very very speedy with 2 characters on screen (from the youtube video I saw)... Probably because the sprites are 100% hardware, hence requiring no shifting, no mirroring (because they're pre mirrored in ROM), no screen save/restore... just masking.

The frame rate seems to tank pretty bad when background tiles move though.

Of course if I used an extra 128KB I could preshift everything and get a good speedup too... no I'm not planning to do that!

3 minutes ago, rensoup said:

The C64 version seems very very speedy with 2 characters on screen (from the youtube video I saw)... Probably because the sprites are 100% hardware, hence requiring no shifting, no mirroring (because they're pre mirrored in ROM), no screen save/restore... just masking.

The frame rate seems to tank pretty bad when background tiles move though.

Of course if I used an extra 128KB I could preshift everything and get a good speedup too... no I'm not planning to do that!

Maybe you can use cartridge bank switching to access a preshifted and save a lot of cycles. Just an idea...

11 hours ago, rensoup said:

no idea... sorry

the CPC is probably on a different league, as I understand, it's much more powerful than a A8

The CPC uses a Z80 processor but despite it's pros, it's not very good when it comes to scrolling in some case. But you can get some good stuff on it. For instance, it's got a powerful word processor suite on a ROM expansion. What didn't help the CPC was when companies had the programmers do shoddy ports from the Spectrum (although some did do good ports from the Spectrum for technical reasons).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rensoup said:

There already is... 3 frames is the minimum. Of course 3 frames mean 50/3= 17fps in PAL or 60/3=20fps in NTSC, so NTSC will feel a bit faster when there is very little going on.

I could make it 3 for PAL and 4 for NTSC or an option in the menu...

Yeah, I would at least try to make them the same (fps). A menu option is great for testing purposes though.

51 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, I would at least try to make them the same (fps). A menu option is great for testing purposes though.

+1

My observation: If you make a program on NTSC A8, then in 99% it will also run fine on PAL (slower, but it works). Make a program on PAL A8 and in only 50% of cases it will run fine on NTSC (in the other 50% it will crash, freeze, etc.). Maybe every A8 programmer should code new programs under NTSC environment ?

10 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Maybe you can use cartridge bank switching to access a preshifted and save a lot of cycles. Just an idea...

Yeah that's what I meant, I was thinking a hybrid cart version in the same way XXL did, the cart is used as a disk for easy porting from XBios.  And then an additional 64/128KB set of banks with sprites preshifted which can be accessed directly... Don't know if I can be bothered yet though...

5 hours ago, zeropolis79 said:

The CPC uses a Z80 processor but despite it's pros, it's not very good when it comes to scrolling in some case. But you can get some good stuff on it. For instance, it's got a powerful word processor suite on a ROM expansion. What didn't help the CPC was when companies had the programmers do shoddy ports from the Spectrum (although some did do good ports from the Spectrum for technical reasons).

Too bad about crap scrolling but I understand the CPU is clocked at 4mhz and the there aren't any bitplanes (pixels color bits are packed together), that's pretty great for precompiled sprites.

Edited by rensoup

4 hours ago, MrFish said:

Well you can't make it the same but 50/3= 16.666fps while 60/4=15fps which is closer than 16.666fps vs 20fps

I'll look into making it an option...

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

+1

My observation: If you make a program on NTSC A8, then in 99% it will also run fine on PAL (slower, but it works). Make a program on PAL A8 and in only 50% of cases it will run fine on NTSC (in the other 50% it will crash, freeze, etc.). Maybe every A8 programmer should code new programs under NTSC environment ?

Well that's nice but the difference in speed seems to be a lot more than the ~15% you'd expect. (probably because ANTIC still steals cycles during those extra frames?). 

I was lucky with Pop that the framerate is 17fps max so there's nothing to do for a NTSC conversion but for a game targeting a single VBi refresh, NTSC is just not that attractive.

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

Well you can't make it the same but 50/3= 16.666fps while 60/4=15fps which is closer than 16.666fps vs 20fps

I'll look into making it an option...

Yes, that's what I meant -- as close as possible. IDK, might be too slow, but probably not.

Just played it a bit longer on real Atari, I have to say the combination of dynamics, graphics and sounds is possibly the best of all PoP for 8-bits (C64's is "correct" imitation of PC/Amiga, but graphically simple and boring, similiar on Sam Coupe (plus it's slooow), CPC is missing frames of player animation, therefore key-feature is gone).

Sorry for earlier confusion regarding slow-downs, indeed there seem to be no difference on Emkay's bank, which is very good (congrats)! Maybe banging the wall could be a bit different, it reminds more of an explosion or gunshot, but it's a minor detail.

Thanks again, Guys, coming back to my 130XE...?

Atari.jpg

CPC:

CPC.jpg

C64:

C64.jpg

Sam Coupe:

Sam Coupe.jpg

BBC Master:

Screenshot_2020-05-16 Prince of Persia for the BBC Micro Master.png

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2