IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

that one makes the edge of walls seem more abrupt as well as the broken corner block repetition throwing things off. It's making it look way more patterned for a lack of better wording. This thing progressed in a fashion where each change was a step up... now it's all getting second guessed and not necessarily for the better.

19 hours ago, rensoup said:

Here's a mockup I did some months ago (uses a 32 pixel width tile)

popwallmockup3.png.8ee962adc736c3fc8c90f708cbbce610.png

less busy, yet still dungeony ?

Simple rocks but bigger and clear, just one of them needs rework at the top not be rightly close to the ground:

popwallmockup3.png.8ee962adc736c3fc8c90f708cbbce610.png.55e2ca83d189d00743a252103a4e8236.png

And the window again you on the dungeons where's window you have it right (though this is a Gothic type and in Palace is an Arab one but the contours are much better and isn't there a total white line):

1335481844_windowrightside.PNG.ab964cadeb9a44d01849caea8ce3fadc.PNG.5849c46cabee65d18d883f9e3c910d27.PNG  window.PNG.4a513dd07d3aceb8710f9c3500c22b60.PNG

P.s.- @TIX I know you have nothing to do with the tiles but you have on the design adaptation to A8, right?

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

P.s.- @TIX I know you have nothing to do with the tiles but you have on the design adaptation to A8, right?

?

nope.. not a pixel altered by me, as far as I know it's a straight import from the BBC !

22 minutes ago, TIX said:

nope.. not a pixel altered by me, as far as I know it's a straight import from the BBC !

So they're wrong in a window and right on the other.

But converting theirs 8colours to ours 4colours is where maybe something went wrong.

@rensoup isn't it possible to alter pixels? Just altering that Arab type window to similar design as the other and I would be happy...

?

9 hours ago, José Pereira said:

Simple rocks but bigger and clear, just one of them needs rework at the top not be rightly close to the ground:

popwallmockup3.png.8ee962adc736c3fc8c90f708cbbce610.png.55e2ca83d189d00743a252103a4e8236.png

And the window again you on the dungeons where's window you have it right (though this is a Gothic type and in Palace is an Arab one but the contours are much better and isn't there a total white line):

1335481844_windowrightside.PNG.ab964cadeb9a44d01849caea8ce3fadc.PNG.5849c46cabee65d18d883f9e3c910d27.PNG  window.PNG.4a513dd07d3aceb8710f9c3500c22b60.PNG

?

When reworking textures and spatial-detail (especially at lower resolutions) it is VERY important not to just work at such tiny / small views, but to up-sample the re-works (and originals) up to 1280x1024, 1920x1080 or PAL-equivalent. 

You would be surprised to see that, sometimes things look "good" when small and compressed, but when enlarged and "stretched" they may look flatter and less pleasing. That would be the best way to benchmark new re-work on tiles / stones, vs. original.

At this point, the original continues to look the best, especially when enlarged (on a 52" LCD screen, for instance).

Think big, guys. A title of this quality and detail is worth playing well beyond our desks!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

that one makes the edge of walls seem more abrupt as well as the broken corner block repetition throwing things off. It's making it look way more patterned for a lack of better wording. This thing progressed in a fashion where each change was a step up... now it's all getting second guessed and not necessarily for the better.

literally 2 posts before yours ?

On 5/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, Jacques said:

But it's brutally cut at the vertical edges and doesn't fit 90 degrees nearby surface. 

Yes, because it is just one tile out of many replaced.

9 hours ago, José Pereira said:

So they're wrong in a window and right on the other.

But converting theirs 8colours to ours 4colours is where maybe something went wrong.

@rensoup isn't it possible to alter pixels? Just altering that Arab type window to similar design as the other and I would be happy...

?

When I took the BBC art I just did a quick recolor thinking they wouldn't be final then I never looked at them again...

popwin.png.f8f8a41ea382afcd130bd3cfb8cc0400.png

much better huh? 

If you'd asked me what changed in the above picture vs the last release, I wouldn't be able to tell you but it's true the light side is on the left in the original

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

You would be surprised to see that, sometimes things look "good" when small and compressed, but when enlarged and "stretched" they may look flatter and less pleasing. That would be the best way to benchmark new re-work on tiles / stones, vs. original.

I do all my dev on a 32" TV, I almost have to turn my head to see the corners. That's pretty much as in your face as it gets...

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

At this point, the original continues to look the best, especially when enlarged (on a 52" LCD screen, for instance).

Hence the idea of having alternate tilesets, just like sfx.

Now I don't know if I'll have the energy nor the skills to finish that set...

13 hours ago, rensoup said:

When I took the BBC art I just did a quick recolor thinking they wouldn't be final then I never looked at them again...

popwin.png.f8f8a41ea382afcd130bd3cfb8cc0400.png

much better huh? 

If you'd asked me what changed in the above picture vs the last release, I wouldn't be able to tell you but it's true the light side is on the left in the original

So will you change the window, right?

Humm... automatic conversions always have some things that in ened need some fixes, even if just a pixel, still widow(s):

-> Gothic type is missing the light blue pixel:

window.PNG.4a513dd07d3aceb8710f9c3500c22b60.PNG.8462fb9479403b24e120cf05af2fa46b.PNG  ->  1640285631_window.PNG_2.PNG.410a7cf9c973523b793f2d3bf7554207.PNG

-> Arab type has a white pixels that I think it should be brown/orange instead:

1962755850_window_other.PNG.0efc3c633f8c1e4afd3c95d9898b6ab5.PNG -> 1197643288_window_other_2nd.PNG.73c16d8e9cc5889b4181ff868a72b796.PNG

And for sure there are more, though if just some pixels...

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'm currently working on the prologue stuff. Does anyone know which font is used for that ? (californian fb is somewhat close)

Here's the A2 version

266888-prince-of-persia-apple-ii-screenshot-intro-3.png.1943ffcbbbdf079ac15c291b77333437.png

Bremer Presse Bold

Contenu Book Bold

Eulipia Bold

Mrs Bathhurst NF

Cajoun Std Regular

Edited by ilmenit

Good idea... such text wouldn't look so great in 160 mode.  But the textured background as seen wouldn't be possible.  Not sure how a hires texture would look, probably interfere with the text too much, plus artifacting would be inconsistent.

10 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Good idea... such text wouldn't look so great in 160 mode.  But the textured background as seen wouldn't be possible.  Not sure how a hires texture would look, probably interfere with the text too much, plus artifacting would be inconsistent.

Well, if you want to have the looks of the apple ii version with textured background.

Younger versions like dos, macintosh or c64 don't have textured background.

Edited by patjomki