IGNORED

Loader for 'hybrid' binary files

xxl

of course it's not a problem, SP also allows you to create such compilations. However, in my opinion, this solution has two disadvantages: - redundant information saved in the file. If a better (faster / shorter) depaker appears, then updating such files would be very problematic.

9 hours ago, xxl said:

An interesting idea, but in my opinion, it is not necessary to increase the file size.

Just trying to help. We're talking about what, 30 bytes? It's a single call to CIO, probably loaded directly into page 6, with the text "Needs CXE support". It's an increase to file size yes, but giving feedback to the user when they would otherwise have no idea seems pretty useful. Plus it doesn't have to impact the memory footprint of the real program, as the compressed loader can just be smart enough to skip the header.

I don't think your goal is the least absolute size, it sounds more appropriately like you're trying to save time on pure SIO setups. In terms of time, 30 bytes is truly negligible even for SIO speeds.

I am thinking which of my cross-platform tools should support/tolerate these binaries.

D2BFC. Definitely. There will be an option to enable toleration of these and also support for the .lz4 extension

Turgen System. It depends. I have no intention to write binary loaders for tape to support it. Perhaps automatic decompression when an option named "Tolerate and Decompress LZ4 segments" is enabled. Otherwise, negative segment size will be reported as it is now.

DTX Manager. Hmm, maybe some toleration.

decolz4. Definitely. Just need to replace Apache's BlockLZ4CompressorInputStream with a custom routine that I will steal from the updated CHKXEX and rewrite it from Delphi to Java. I can do it with the assembler 6502 version, but I am too lazy. Perhaps the Super Packer will get a feature that will allow it to decompress the file and my little hack becomes obsolete.

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Yep,

it would be a good+useful thing to have a function in Superpacker to unpack/uncompress ML-files packed with Exomizer/Deflater/LZ4 to its original, unpacked size again and be able to save the completely unpacked file (to disk, harddisk or whatever)...

I am afraid that this might not be possible in all cases.

For the hybrid binary load files, it is possible as the compressed segments are distinguishable.

For others, it might be guessing or might require manual intervention. It is a matter of recognizing compressed segments, compression types and decompressing them.