IGNORED

XB Game Dev Pkg "hello" help

jwild

I feel silly posting this, but I need help with the XB Game Dev Pkg "hello" example. 

1. I have downloaded the latest Isabella6.zip archive from the pinned thread.
  2. I have extracted it and printed out the documentation files. 
  3. I have downloaded the latest classic99 emulator 399.013
  4. I am following the "Using XBGDP.pdf" file.
  5. I have copied the ISABELLA99 folder from the archive to the classic99\ folder (alongside DSK1, DSK2, etc as the help describes)
  6. I have changed the settings for DSK1 in classic99 to point to .\ISABELLA99\ and turned on "Write DV80 as Windows Text" and made sure "Write DF80 as Windows Text" is off. 
  7. In classic 99, I have started XB and received the introductory "XB Game Developers Package "Isabella"" menu
  8. I selected "Extended Basic"
  9. I commanded "OLD DSK1.HELLO"
  10. I can list it and run it and see how slowly "Hello World!" scrolls across the screen.  Break with f4
  11. Options CPU Throttling - CPU Overdrive
  12. SAVE DSK1.HELLO
  13. SAVE DSK1.HELLO-M,MERGE
  14. RUN "DSK1.LOAD"
  15. It goes back to the "Isabella" menu with prompt on COMPILER (enter)
  16. Compiler window shows up.  "XB merge file to compile?": DSK1.HELLO-M
  17. Assembly file to create?: DSK1.HELLO-S
  18. Runtime routines are on DSK1
  19. Put runtime in low memory? N
  20. Proceed?: Y
  21. Compiler does some stuff and then "Isabella" menu shows up again, this time with prompt on ASSEMBLER (enter)
  22. SOURCE file name ?: DSK1.HELLO-S
  23. OBJECT file name ?: DSK1.HELLO-O
  24. LIST device name ?: (blank)
  25. OPTIONS ?: R
  26. Press ENTER or F8
  27. "SOURCE    - Open failure"    Press ENTER or QUIT

Any help would be appreciated.   I will be reading the docs in the meantime.

Thank you

I think the problem is in step 17. It doesn’t seem to like HELLO-S as the file name.

I played around a while and got it to compile, assemble, and run. You just have to type in the right file names with extensions.

Here is a cheat sheet I made to help me understand and remember the relations of the file names and the tools:

9df2357cca6e6973d472b52794ca9807.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You have to use the folder ISABELLA which is designed to work with Classic99. ISABELLA99 is designed to work with a real TI99/4a. It will work with Classic99, but you have to set up the disk differently.

The instructions clearly explain this in the file "Using XBGDP"

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

Thank you senior_falcon.

However, "clearly" isn't so clear.   Archive is called "ISABELLA6.zip".   When you extract it, it is a folder called "ISABELLA6".   Inside that folder is two other folders as you clearly described in "Using XBGDP".   There is no folder called "ISABELLA".    Just "ISABELLA6" (top level), "ISABELLA99", and "DOCS".

But I think I know what you mean now.   use the files in the "ISABELLA6" folder and not the subdirectory "ISABELLA99".

I moved some files around to use the "ISABELLA6" folder instead of "ISABELLA99" and can confirm that it works much better in Classic99.   You can hit ENTER around 22 times (like the docs say) and it will compile and run.

Very cool.   Thank you senior_falcon.

Thanks also to Sinphaltimus for the video on how to make a filename.bin file out of the compiled EA5 file for finalgrom99.

Learning lots from you guys.

8 minutes ago, jwild said:

Thank you senior_falcon.

However, "clearly" isn't so clear.   Archive is called "ISABELLA6.zip".   When you extract it, it is a folder called "ISABELLA6".   Inside that folder is two other folders as you clearly described in "Using XBGDP".   There is no folder called "ISABELLA".    Just "ISABELLA6" (top level), "ISABELLA99", and "DOCS".

But I think I know what you mean now.   use the files in the "ISABELLA6" folder and not the subdirectory "ISABELLA99".

Yep, ISABELLA99 is only for "real iron". Looks like I have to revise the docs a bit so folks use ISABELLA6. Too many revisions....

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 10:06 PM, senior_falcon said:

Yep, ISABELLA99 is only for "real iron". Looks like I have to revise the docs a bit so folks use ISABELLA6. Too many revisions....

Compiler writing is a humbling occupation IMHO.

Three cheers to you for making one for everybody. ?‍?

Happy Turkey.

• Like 5