IGNORED

Champ Games - Gorf Arcade (2600)

johnnywc

Another great project for the team!

Can you explain your coding process John? By that I mean your energy to keep bringing out projects. Do you find working across multiple projects a way of staying fresh? Do you limit your coding time per day/week? Any insight would be interesting!

You also clearly have a great base project to setup the basic plumbing and get up and running quickly on the next game - no doubt building on each prior one.

• Like 2

holy smokes.

this is insane.

how many games are in the champ pipeline now?

galagon

wizard of wor

zookeeper

avalanche

lunar lander

gorf

elevator action

champsports hockey

archon

that's nine

am I missing any?

totally bananas.

john gets more done in a morning than I get done all year!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, D Train said:

holy smokes.

this is insane.

how many games are in the champ pipeline now?

galagon

wizard of wor

zookeeper

avalanche

lunar lander

gorf

elevator action

champsports hockey

archon

that's nine

am I missing any?

Wow, when you list them all one after the other, it does sound like a lot! ? 

• Galagon, WoW and Avalanche are code complete.  Galagon/WoW to be released this week sometime, and Avalanche released sometime in the Spring (pending a label contest).
  • Zoo Keeper is about 90% done, release planned for summer of 2020.
  • Lunar Lander is 100% playable, but we plan on adding in a few bells & whistles before release.  Release probably not until 2021.
  • Elevator Action is about 30% done but requires BUS technology so for now it's on hold until the issues are resolved.
  • Gorf Arcade is about 40% done, release planned for late 2020.
  • Champ Sports Hockey is about 5% (just POC with the scrolling rink).  
  • Archon is not officially planned, although a display kernel was worked on for a few weeks back in 2014 with Thomas J.

A few that you missed:

• Rip Off! is about 40% done; no official release planned.
  • Moon Cresta was started in 2007, no plans as of yet to complete it.
  • Cosmic Avenger was started in 2015 (which turned into Scramble), although we hope to complete it someday.

48 minutes ago, D Train said:

John gets more done in a morning than I get done all year!

LOL we do keep ourselves busy, that's for sure! ;)  Of course none of these games would be completed without the help of a lot other people like Nathan Strum, Mike Haas, Dave Dries, Ross Keenum, Thomas J, Darrell Spice, Bob D., all the game testers like Steve Ramirez, James @ ZPH, Glenn AKA GRay Defender, and everyone else here on Atari Age! :)  And of course we can't forget Al for all his work coordinating with everyone to get these games put together and in the Atari Age store! :thumbsup: 

• Like 15

On 11/27/2019 at 2:40 PM, johnnywc said:

Of course none of these games would be completed without the help of a lot other people like Nathan Strum, Mike Haas, Dave Dries, Ross Keenum, Thomas J, Darrell Spice, Bob D., all the game testers like Steve Ramirez, James @ ZPH, Glenn AKA GRay Defender, and everyone else here on Atari Age! :)  And of course we can't forget Al for all his work coordinating with everyone to get these games put together and in the Atari Age store! :thumbsup: 

everyone does an amazing job of designing, debugging, testing, streamlining, innovating and publishing.  it's really fun to watch the process happen.

happy thanksgiving everyone!  Even if you don't celebrate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machine said:

As a Gorf arcade owner, I am amazed at how nice the graphics look for this version!  I am amazed everytime Champ Games releases a game!

Thanks! I really wanted to do the original graphics justice. Figuring out how to blow up the Flag Ship is going to be the biggest task (figuratively and literally).

I'd love to own a Gorf machine. It's been in my top five arcade favorites forever.

Since you do own one - do you have any way of taking some good quality video of the game? I'm convinced the colors in MAME are off, but of course I have no proof of that. I'm hoping to get us as close to the real arcade machine as possible. Also, do you know of any way to do a sound test on it (running through each sound, one at a time)? I haven't found anything in the online manuals or MAME dip switch settings, so I'm assuming there isn't. But that would be incredibly helpful.

7 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Thanks! I really wanted to do the original graphics justice. Figuring out how to blow up the Flag Ship is going to be the biggest task (figuratively and literally).

I'd love to own a Gorf machine. It's been in my top five arcade favorites forever.

Since you do own one - do you have any way of taking some good quality video of the game? I'm convinced the colors in MAME are off, but of course I have no proof of that. I'm hoping to get us as close to the real arcade machine as possible. Also, do you know of any way to do a sound test on it (running through each sound, one at a time)? I haven't found anything in the online manuals or MAME dip switch settings, so I'm assuming there isn't. But that would be incredibly helpful.

I have an ok video camera I could set up. Not sure how good the picture and sound would be, but it does a good job on regular filming. My Gorf is an original cocktail table. I would need to figure out how to mount a camera for it.

I don't have a sound test, but can get through all the ranks.  I have seen a few Gorf arcades and most of the colors on each machine do not match each other cuz the monitors are old. I know my Red colors seem slightly more orangish.

Let me know what you want me to do and I will be happy to help!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, Nathan Strum said:

If you have Windows-10... there is a built-in video recorder (Windows key -> G). It's very adequate for taking game footage (that's actually its intended use) and has an option for 60 frames a second. I've used it with both Stella and MAME... and it seems to work quite well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MissCommand said:

If you have Windows-10... there is a built-in video recorder (Windows key -> G). It's very adequate for taking game footage (that's actually its intended use) and has an option for 60 frames a second. I've used it with both Stella and MAME... and it seems to work quite well.

Thanks - but what I'm looking for is footage of the actual game to see what the colors really are. Not emulation.

On 11/28/2019 at 6:29 PM, Machine said:

I have an ok video camera I could set up. Not sure how good the picture and sound would be, but it does a good job on regular filming. My Gorf is an original cocktail table. I would need to figure out how to mount a camera for it.

I don't have a sound test, but can get through all the ranks.  I have seen a few Gorf arcades and most of the colors on each machine do not match each other cuz the monitors are old. I know my Red colors seem slightly more orangish.

Let me know what you want me to do and I will be happy to help!

What would be great is to have a play through of the first five stages (through the Flag Ship exploding).

As for quality, we'll take what we can get. It's more for a comparison against what MAME is showing, than a definitive reference. :)

Ideally, any automatic gain control would be shut off on the camera so the image is consistent, and reflections in the monitor minimized. There's a good video about shooting video off of CRTs here:

Thanks!

• Like 1

Man, my video looks nothing like that (it's washed out).....  

My monitor is older but still ok(not sure why it looks so bad recorded). My camera is a $200 job, so I guess you get what you pay for.... 

I have the sound turned up on the arcade, but it is still low. I can try turning up the sound if you want and do another video. Sorry it looks so bad.

I played thru the first 5 stages....

https://youtu.be/NUXmpo9U_lI

Edited by Machine
  • Like 2