IGNORED

Champ Games - Gorf Arcade (2600)

johnnywc

2 hours ago, Zoyx said:

It doesn't work with my Harmony cart or Concerto cart.

Works on my Harmony Encore, but crashes on my older Harmony after showing the initial splash screen.

My Encore has BIOS 1.06, while the Harmony had 1.05. I updated the Harmony to 1.06, but it still crashes.

2 hours ago, Zoyx said:

You need the latest version of Stella for this to work. After I updated from 6.0 to 6.4, it worked.

It doesn't work with my Harmony cart or Concerto cart.

41 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Works on my Harmony Encore, but crashes on my older Harmony after showing the initial splash screen.

My Encore has BIOS 1.06, while the Harmony had 1.05. I updated the Harmony to 1.06, but it still crashes.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that this uses the CDFJ driver with MAM enabled which won't work on older Harmony carts.  I would have assumed it would work on a Concerto cart (aren't those new?); it may have the old version of the ARM with the MAM bug.  Gorf Arcade (and RobotWar:2684) require MAM to be enabled due to the high processing requirements (RobotWar:2684 on the later levels with 100+ enemies and Gorf Arcade with the complex graphics and the in-game voice).  I could upload a Gorf Arcade with MAM disabled that should work with older Harmony carts (and possibly the Concerto) but would disable voice by default since that is what causes the screen rolls.

• Like 2

I downloaded it shortly after midnight, but waited until this morning to hunt up my Harmony cart.  This is fantastic.  Gorf was one of my favorite games in the early 80's.  I decided to test it by first playing a couple games of the old CBS Cartridge.  The difference is astounding, every bit as impressive as Scramble.  I can't wait for this to be released, as it will mean 3 of my top 4 Arcade games will have modern Atari 2600 ports.

My only problem is that my Harmony cart freaks out with a Sega Genesis controller plugged in.  This will keep me from playing much until the cartridge is released.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Omega Race said:

I downloaded it shortly after midnight, but waited until this morning to hunt up my Harmony cart.  This is fantastic.  Gorf was one of my favorite games in the early 80's.  I decided to test it by first playing a couple games of the old CBS Cartridge.  The difference is astounding, every bit as impressive as Scramble. 

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it! :) 

I can't wait for this to be released, as it will mean 3 of my top 4 Arcade games will have modern Atari 2600 ports.

What's the 4th one? :P 

My only problem is that my Harmony cart freaks out with a Sega Genesis controller plugged in.  This will keep me from playing much until the cartridge is released.

:idea:  I think the Harmony cart will incorrectly detect a Sega Genesis controller as a paddle.  To override this, press and hold down Button C on the Genesis controller before turning on the Atari (or it may be Button B, I can't remember).  Hope that helps!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Special thanks to Nathan Strum for the graphics, AtariVox voices, design and testing.  Also, thanks to Ross Keenum for the initial batch of sound effects, and Steve Ramirez for testing, and James @ ZeroPage Homebrew for hosting the Gorf Arcade reveal a couple weeks ago on his Twitch stream. 

You're so welcome John! While we were streaming our New Year's Eve special last night, somebody alerted me that you released the demo so we snuck it in at then end of show, super fun and really challenging!!! You can see us playing on Twitch or watch it when it gets posted to YouTube tonight at 6PM PT.

- James

• Like 3

4 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it! :) 

What's the 4th one? :P 

Omega Race! ?  I spent untold hours playing the VIC-20 version as a kid (plus in the arcade when I could).  The best port I've seen is probably the Commodore 64 version.  Sadly it's been a few years since I've been able to play an Arcade Cabinet of it at PRGE (I get the impression the Arcade Cabinets are pretty rare now).

Scramble & Star Castle have already been done, and now Gorf is coming out.

4 hours ago, johnnywc said:

:idea:  I think the Harmony cart will incorrectly detect a Sega Genesis controller as a paddle.  To override this, press and hold down Button C on the Genesis controller before turning on the Atari (or it may be Button B, I can't remember).  Hope that helps!

It's the "B" button, thanks!  I've had the cartridge for 2-3 years, but have barely used it (mainly for beta's). 

45 minutes ago, Omega Race said:

Omega Race! ?  I spent untold hours playing the VIC-20 version as a kid (plus in the arcade when I could).  The best port I've seen is probably the Commodore 64 version.  Sadly it's been a few years since I've been able to play an Arcade Cabinet of it at PRGE (I get the impression the Arcade Cabinets are pretty rare now).

I haven't seen an Omega Race arcade cabinet in... 20 years? Something like that. I went to Vintage Arcade Superstore to shoot photos of cabinet artwork (overlays, control panels, backgrounds) for various games for MAME. Omega Race was one of them. (Thanks, Wayback Machine!)

Omega Race was pretty rare, even back-in-the-day. Our local arcade had one though, and I really liked it. I remember being quite disappointed with the CBS/2600 version at the time. I think I actually bought it and returned it to the store. Not sure why now... it's not exactly awful. It could certainly be improved some. Maybe the flickering put me off (or the completely unnecessary "Booster Grip").

• Like 2

20 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that this uses the CDFJ driver with MAM enabled which won't work on older Harmony carts.  I would have assumed it would work on a Concerto cart (aren't those new?); it may have the old version of the ARM with the MAM bug.

Aha - you'd mentioned this in the past, I'd forgotten you were doing that. I'm not familiar with the Concerto cart.

For those not familiar with it, the ARM chip in the original Harmony/Melody has a bug that will randomly cause code in ROM to crash. Workaround is to partially disable MAM, which reduces CPU performance. You can read about it in the ARM section of this blog entry - DPC+ARM - Part 6, DPC+ Cartridge Layout. I almost threw in the towel on ARM enhanced games until @GroovyBee helped us figure out how to disable it, can read about that in the Frantic topic starting at reply 178 thru 199. 

• Like 4

This is nothing short of incredible. My favourite games are Gorf and Qix. What a beast of a port this is! Better than the ports on all other consoles of the era, and even the C64 version which I always thought was killer. I just can't wait to play this with my AtariVox. Soooo cool!!!

As for Qix as shown on the livestream, damn yes I'm eager to throw my money at you for that!!! It looks superb, the resolution doesn't detract from the strategy of the game at all. I can't wait to try it!

• Like 3

Feedback.

The graphics are incredible. The gameplay is harder than the arcade... was that the goal? I would slow the game down. There is less playfield compared to the arcade, so less room to escape. So slowing down the projectiles and the space meanies might be all that is needed for the early levels. I made it to Space Captain finally (score = 9660). I made it through Space Avenger on the arcade.

• Like 1

Game is fantastic and „feels“ already very polished. Game seems to be difficult but after playing some hours I made it save after Mission 10. You can follow different strategies to solve a level (aggressive and flying high/up or making points or save from a distance etc. ). Every screen is a great game for its own - all 5 are a ‚must buy‘ and one of the best space shooter for this console so far. I‘m really impressed of the quality and depth of this game!

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1