IGNORED

Champ Games - Gorf Arcade (2600)

johnnywc

On 1/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, Omega Race said:

Omega Race! ?  I spent untold hours playing the VIC-20 version as a kid (plus in the arcade when I could).  The best port I've seen is probably the Commodore 64 version.  Sadly it's been a few years since I've been able to play an Arcade Cabinet of it at PRGE (I get the impression the Arcade Cabinets are pretty rare now).

:lol: :dunce: that makes sense!  I have very fond memories of playing Omega Race on a Vic-20 at Service Merchandise up in Auburn, Massachusetts as a kid - I loved it!  I played the arcade game only a few times but have always enjoyed it - it's a fun game! :thumbsup:  

Scramble & Star Castle have already been done, and now Gorf is coming out.

Hmmm, so only Omega Race remains then...  Sounds like Nathan is a fan too - that usually helps Champ Games projects get off the ground. ;) :P   

It's the "B" button, thanks!  I've had the cartridge for 2-3 years, but have barely used it (mainly for beta's). 

Glad I could help! :D 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 11:13 PM, Zoyx said:

The graphics are incredible.

Thanks for the feedback!  Nathan did an amazing job on the graphics (and AtariVox voices too! :music: ).

On 1/2/2021 at 11:13 PM, Zoyx said:

The gameplay is harder than the arcade... was that the goal? I would slow the game down. There is less playfield compared to the arcade, so less room to escape. So slowing down the projectiles and the space meanies might be all that is needed for the early levels. I made it to Space Captain finally (score = 9660). I made it through Space Avenger on the arcade.

We are still working on the difficulty; I agree that the game is a bit too difficult to start for sure.  The Space Warp level especially is too challenging off the bat; we have made modifications where the enemies spawn a bit higher on the screen to help compensate for the shorter screen height vs. the arcade and it makes a big difference.  We'll include this (and numerous other changes) in the next demo!  :)  

On 1/4/2021 at 5:20 PM, Bomberman94 said:

Game is fantastic and „feels“ already very polished. Game seems to be difficult but after playing some hours I made it save after Mission 10. You can follow different strategies to solve a level (aggressive and flying high/up or making points or save from a distance etc. ). Every screen is a great game for its own - all 5 are a ‚must buy‘ and one of the best space shooter for this console so far. I‘m really impressed of the quality and depth of this game!

Thanks for the kind words!  Yes, we feel it's a bit too difficult to start and we're working on smoothing out the difficultly ramping. :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tremoloman2006 said:

Amazing job!  Man, I really struggle at the Space Warp part.  Still haven't gotten past the 1st round of it after several tries!

Thanks!  Yes, we agree that Space Warp is a bit too difficult right now; see above for some changes we're putting in to help make it a bit less challenging on the earlier levels. :) 

3 hours ago, tremoloman2006 said:

This will DEFINITELY be an automatic buy when completed!

BRAVO CHAMP GAMES!!!  BRAVO!!!

Thanks in advance for your support, it's much appreciated! :D 

• Like 2

Incredible conversion so far!

Had a chance to play a few rounds and besides the difficulty comments above, thought I'd mention one that stuck out to me. On the Flag Ship stage, I noticed that it takes several hits on_the_actual "internal power reactor" to finally destroy the ship. Not talking about picking away at the hull which is expected, but the actual reactor core itself. In the arcade, believe it only took one hit before she blew. I don't necessarily mind the added difficulty in a home version myself, just saying.  :)

Perhaps some of these added 'skill options' could be left as a feature toggled by the difficulty switches. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Scramble & Star Castle have already been done, and now Gorf is coming out.

Hmmm, so only Omega Race remains then...  Sounds like Nathan is a fan too - that usually helps Champ Games projects get off the ground. ;) :P 

You heard it hear first folks, Omega Race Arcade is on deck.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Incredible conversion so far!

Thanks!

Had a chance to play a few rounds and besides the difficulty comments above, thought I'd mention one that stuck out to me. On the Flag Ship stage, I noticed that it takes several hits on_the_actual "internal power reactor" to finally destroy the ship. Not talking about picking away at the hull which is expected, but the actual reactor core itself. In the arcade, believe it only took one hit before she blew. I don't necessarily mind the added difficulty in a home version myself, just saying.  :)

Hmmm, sounds like a bug.  If you hit the flashing 'core' once it should blow up the Flagship.  I'll take a look, thanks!

Perhaps some of these added 'skill options' could be left as a feature toggled by the difficulty switches. 

Agreed!  Someone on FB pointed out that in the arcade game you get killed if you crash into the bonus point scores that are displayed after you destroy an attacking enemy. ?  I personally don't think this is fair (and most likely a bug from the arcade game), but we have added this 'feature' in with difficulty A that will be included in the next demo. :D  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Agreed!  Someone on FB pointed out that in the arcade game you get killed if you crash into the bonus point scores that are displayed after you destroy an attacking enemy. ?  I personally don't think this is fair (and most likely a bug from the arcade game), but we have added this 'feature' in with difficulty A that will be included in the next demo. :D  

That's dedication to the true arcade experience!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@johnnywc Usually makes his games lately as 32K and uses CDFJ. John from what I remember likes keeping games at no more than 32K because he likes the constrains of working within a given limitation. He does have some older games that are only 16k like LadyBug and Caverns of Mars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Prizrak said:

32K and uses CDFJ. John from what I remember likes keeping games at no more than 32K because he likes the constrains of working within a given limitation.

DPC+ and CDFJ were designed for the Melody board, which is 32K ROM and 8K RAM, so that's the source of the constraint.

A new Melody board has been developed which supports these configurations:

• 64K ROM and 16K RAM
  • 128K ROM and 16K RAM
  • 256K ROM and 32K RAM
  • 512K ROM and 32K RAM

The new CDFJ+ driver is used for it. I'm aware of one project in development that's currently using the 64K version.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

Thanks for clearing that up@johnnywc I knew I was close but forgot about constraints because of hardware not personal choice and also the new Harmony being developed.

Hi there!  It looks like Darrell @SpiceWare cleared things up ;)  (thanks Darrell!).

I do have an opportunity to use CDFJ+ for Gorf Arcade now that it's been finalized (and used actively in @cd-w's amazing  Zeviouz :o ), but I am going to stick to 32K for the reasons you described (I don't want to be working on Gorf Arcade for another year and I have a delivery date set of August 2021 :D ).

With that said, I am considering using CDFJ+ for Champ Sports Baseball so I can use the extra ROM for player names/stats/etc. and, more importantly, use 4K of that to save stats/etc. on the cart itself and not have to rely on the SaveKey for that.  We'll still have AtariVox support for voice, which will also take up a bunch of ROM if we plan on adding on full announcer phrases ("now batting, number 8, the left fielder"), etc. :music:   Games that use the extra ROM for data only and not necessarily game play shouldn't add as much development time than say, a game that used the extra 32K for additional levels, features, etc.

It'll be fun to find out!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I was wondering how Gorf was coming along as I purchased Champs' latest ROMs on their homepage today so came here to see latest updates.  Hey@johnnywc is it time to update target release dates on Champs' home page for Gorf Arcade (especially Robotwar since it still shows June)? However it is still September so maybe there's still a chance for Gorf? Although maybe Al is still on his much needed vacation too. ;) 

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 6.35.11 PM.png

53 minutes ago, Kaboomer said:

I was wondering how Gorf was coming along as I purchased Champs' latest ROMs on their homepage today so came here to see latest updates.  Hey@johnnywc is it time to update target release dates on Champs' home page for Gorf Arcade (especially Robotwar since it still shows June)? However it is still September so maybe there's still a chance for Gorf?

Thanks for the heads up!  Release dates have been fluid as delays with printing, etc. have pushed other releases (ZK, Avalanche, etc.).  The good news is that it has given us more time to tweak RobotWar:2684 and add in new features! :D 

Although maybe Al is still on his much needed vacation too. ;) 

That makes two of us! :P  Al definitely needs a vacation after catching up on all of those pre-orders! :thumbsup:  

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 6.35.11 PM.png

Updated release dates on the Champ Games website:

• RobotWar:2684 - September 2021
  • Lady Bug Arcade - December 2021
  • Gorf Arcade - ~March 2022 
  • Turbo Arcade - August 2022 (PRGE?)
  • Qix - December 2022

I'll make sure to keep up on these updates as the release dates will most likely change as they are dependent on many factors outside of Champ Games (and AtariAge's control).

Thanks!

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Updated release dates on the Champ Games website:

• RobotWar:2684 - September 2021
  • Lady Bug Arcade - December 2021
  • Gorf Arcade - ~March 2022 
  • Turbo Arcade - August 2022 (PRGE?)
  • Qix - December 2022

I'll make sure to keep up on these updates as the release dates will most likely change as they are dependent on many factors outside of Champ Games (and AtariAge's control).

Thanks!

John

Thanks for the update John! So happy to see that Qix has moved our from POC and now a release! :) Looking forward to PRGE 2022 (crossing fingers)!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Thanks for the update John! So happy to see that Qix has moved our from POC and now a release! :) 

You're welcome!  Yes, I've been working on Qix here and there and it's coming along nicely; I hope to have a playable demo soon! 

2 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Looking forward to PRGE 2022 (crossing fingers)!

Let's hope so! ?  I think there will be quite a turnout if it happens after a 2 year hiatus.. it will be great to see everyone again! ? :) 

• Like 3