johnnywc

Champ Games - Gorf Arcade (2600)

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have these...but gonna need more. 😄

Organizers.jpg

You're going to need much larger ones for the boxed games.  :)

..Al

• Like 2

Gorf looks amazing! I can’t wait to add this gem to my collection. Which reminds me - I still need to purchase Zoo Keeper and a couple of other Champ titles I missed out on initially.

This is more of a sidebar question I’ve been meaning to ask: How does Champ Games produce such high quality graphics, sound and gameplay for their Atari 2600 releases? Is it due to the larger ROMs they use, or is there something else (i.e. a chip/processor inside their cartridges) that help produce such amazing quality? 

33 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

Gorf looks amazing! I can’t wait to add this gem to my collection. Which reminds me - I still need to purchase Zoo Keeper and a couple of other Champ titles I missed out on initially.

This is more of a sidebar question I’ve been meaning to ask: How does Champ Games produce such high quality graphics, sound and gameplay for their Atari 2600 releases? Is it due to the larger ROMs they use, or is there something else (i.e. a chip/processor inside their cartridges) that help produce such amazing quality? 

Their titles utilize the ARM processor in the Harmony cart to assist with the display kernel.  Regardless, still takes great programming and design skill to turn out what they are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Thanks, and thanks in advance for the support! :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Their titles utilize the ARM processor in the Harmony cart to assist with the display kernel.  Regardless, still takes great programming and design skill to turn out what they are.

As @Stephen pointed out, most of our new games use an ARM processor and 32K ROM sizes (Turbo Arcade actually uses 64K ROM).  The ROM size helps us add a lot of bells and whistles, levels, etc. plus storage for more advanced graphics, animations and sounds.  The ARM processor helps out immensely by providing more RAM including 4K of display data used in datastreams that typically contain data for the TIA registers for the player graphics, background graphics, colors, etc. and 2K of additional RAM to store game info (very useful for games like RobotWar that can have up to 100 objects on the screen at once).  The ARM processor can also execute C code (typically during vertical blank and oversan, before and after the actual screen is displayed by the 6507 assembly kernels) at a much faster rate than the 6502 (~70Mhz vs ~1Mhz) so more complex game logic and collision detection can be executed each frame (plus data preparation for the graphics).  Oh, not sure if this helps, but I have been doing this (making 2600 games) for about 15 years, so I would think my experience has helped with these games also.  I should also mention that the graphics and sounds are usually done by experts (Nathan Strum, Bob D, Mike Haas, to name a few) and without their contribution the games wouldn't be nearly as good. :D 

EDIT: I should also point out that in addition to the extra ROM, RAM and CPU speed, we are also using the CDFJ bankswitching which can trace it's origin back to the DPC chip developed for Pitfall II.  This allows for more updates to be done per scanline by updating TIA registers using a fast-fetch technology.  Additionally, the DPC chip offered 3 part digital audio that we utilize in Mappy. :music:   

• Like 6