IGNORED

Favorite video game commerical from the late 80s?

2 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

Wow, for a second I was thinking they accidentally included footage of a pinball game from another Atari system in the commercial. I wasn't aware of Midnight Magic. Pretty impressive game for the 2600, especially compared to Video Pinball.

Edited by Ramses
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramses said:

Wow, for a second I was thinking they accidentally included footage of a pinball game from another Atari system in the commercial. I wasn't aware of Midnight Magic. Pretty impressive game for the 2600.

It sucks. Pause the video at 16 seconds and look at the sparse playfield. Boring.

• Confused 1

Mine was the very first Sega Genesis commercial shown in North America called "The Maker".  it had all these kids playing 8-bit systems but one guy stepped up to play the new Genesis on a huge screen that showed off the launch titles, only time Altered beast actually looked good!  It was going for a epic feel to match the bibilical sounding name "Genesis".

At the time to me, it was a true revelation that the 16-bit era had finally arrived for consoles and something that actually rivals the arcade and computer games...and a true alternative to the copy & paste NES games that were common.

(I'd like to include the video from YouTube but the audio quality just doesn't do it justice...)

I have three favorites:

Atlantis by Imagic

2 Alien vs Predator for the Jaguar. 

3 M-Network Video Blues.

I love the first two for the endings.  And the third because the music is so catchy.

Honorable mention goes to the Dig Dug arcade commercial.   It was the first video game commercial I ever saw at a movie theater.  It played with the movie trailers.

If I can only pick one commercial:  Atlantis.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 7:24 PM, VectorGamer said:

Try Pinball on the NES. Much better game.

Try 3D Pinball Space cadet on Windows. It will blow your mind!

Are you really comparing an Atari 2600 game and a NES game?

This one... is... SPECIAL.

"It's me again! You haven't plugged me yet! So be nice and plug me to a Sega? Got it? SEGA!"

2 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Mine was the very first Sega Genesis commercial shown in North America called "The Maker".  it had all these kids playing 8-bit systems but one guy stepped up to play the new Genesis on a huge screen that showed off the launch titles, only time Altered beast actually looked good!  It was going for a epic feel to match the bibilical sounding name "Genesis".

At the time to me, it was a true revelation that the 16-bit era had finally arrived for consoles and something that actually rivals the arcade and computer games...and a true alternative to the copy & paste NES games that were common.

(I'd like to include the video from YouTube but the audio quality just doesn't do it justice...)

Here's a good quality version of that commercial with good audio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I loved that old Now You're Playing with Power shtick Nintendo clung to into the SNES era, one of them by far in the 1980s stood out, and no it wasn't that wacky weird creeper guy doing the Zelda spot or that annoyingly 80s rap either.  It's this one.  This one came at the very end of the 80s in 1990 for SMB3.

• Like 1