IGNORED

FinalGrom99, 32k Sidecar, and questions.

Mehridian Sanders

I recently got the PCB for the FinalGrom99 and the 32k Sidecar. Couple questions I have. Is the TiPi just the 32k sidecar with Rpi zero w soldered? I happen to have a Zero W doing nothing but dust magnetization.

For any of you who made your own FG99, Any tips you could pass on?

It also looks like I am going to be soldering the Speech Synthesizer and the 32k Sidecar in series. (Got the PCB, but not the sidecar connector. Lol)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

Is the TiPi just the 32k sidecar with Rpi zero w soldered?

TIPI does look kind of like the 32k sideport..  the EPROM for the DSR is basically where the 32K SRAM chip is on the 32K board, being the largest chips on both, I can see how the human mind would categorize them as same-enough... 

32K sideport:

32K.thumb.jpg.dd6bd38fdb0ec2c30d216f996fb3cda8.jpg

TIPI sideport:

TIPI.thumb.jpg.6f1d6d3ac3e4c1a2ca059b200d507bd4.jpg

6 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

It also looks like I am going to be soldering the Speech Synthesizer and the 32k Sidecar in series. (Got the PCB, but not the sidecar connector. Lol)

You can find the edge connectors on ebay...  https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Industrial-Card-Edge-Slot-Socket-Connector-22x2P-44P-2-54mm-0-1-3A-240-44/140888520037?hash=item20cd9c3565:g:2cQAAOxyuPtQ~70q

so you shouldn't have to solder your 32k board to your speech synth... If you were going to solder it to the speech synth, you might as well just look at the schematic, and dead-bug solder the chips inside the speech box entirely.

-M@

• Like 1

I actually found the connectors in Ebay shortly after posting. Yes, I see the difference. So many different addons I get lost with the acronym soup. I've been waiting to dive deep into programming, until I got the FinalGrom99 built so that i dont have to be left looking for software. I hope i didn't offend, and am sorry if I did.

I started this TI journey a few months back when I scored one with the alps keyboard switches, for $28.

I brought it home and became fascinated. I wanted to learn more. It has been a steep learning curve, for me at least. I hope to write a bring up doc, a kind of "Getting to know your 99/4a", one may already exist but I want to all the same.

After jury rigging an old ATX 1 power supply, it came to life. I immediately had the thought "Damn, my smart phone won't last another 2 years without breaking and this computer just booted after sitting in a corner for lord knows how many years, decades after being built. They sure dont make them like this anymore."

That theme has been a recurring recognition for me.

I picked up 2 Palm VX's from goodwill for $5. Replaced the Li-Ion battery and they sprang to life.

Vintage tech is .. for lack of a better phrase better quality. Not as strong but far more enduring. I know that I dont know a lot about the TI-99/4a, but I want to learn.

Hopefully, design upgrades and program some fun games.

If I ask a question that seems absurd, bear with me. Thanks for your patience with me.

[emoji16][emoji3]

I share the same sentiment. (And have watched with disgust as hardware has become "McHardware" over the past 30 years.)

Say what you will about vintage tech being clunky, slow, and power hungry; Those things could literally take an actual literal beating, and still work just fine. (You could bludgeon someone to death with an authentic model M, and it would work just fine afterward! Even still caked in blood and gore! Not that I suggest such a practice mind, just the reality that it could withstand that is pretty damned impressive.)

I am not certain if I will be able to manufacture a PEB or not, but should I succeed (since I have placed a bid on Globeron's PEB, and so far, nobody else has bid...), If I succeed and it works, I have been contemplating mailing the resulting product to you, simply because I know you would enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I share the same sentiment. (And have watched with disgust as hardware has become "McHardware" over the past 30 years.)

Say what you will about vintage tech being clunky, slow, and power hungry; Those things could literally take an actual literal beating, and still work just fine. (You could bludgeon someone to death with an authentic model M, and it would work just fine afterward! Even still caked in blood and gore! Not that I suggest such a practice mind, just the reality that it could withstand that is pretty damned impressive.)

I am not certain if I will be able to manufacture a PEB or not, but should I succeed (since I have placed a bid on Globeron's PEB, and so far, nobody else has bid...), If I succeed and it works, I have been contemplating mailing the resulting product to you, simply because I know you would enjoy it.

For the moment, all I can say, because words are failing me, is this :

"Where once was void, now has light"

I am truly touched by this sentiment. Thank you, so very kindly.