IGNORED

THE END 2600 * FINISHED COMPLETE GAME *

RaymanC

Hello all !

Here is a new homebrew game I made for the Atari 2600 that I named THE END 2600.
It is based on the 1980 Konami version of the arcade game THE END.

** AUG 02 2020 UPDATE **

** FINAL ROMS ARE AVAILABLE **

** CARTRIDGE CIB WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON AT ATARI AGE !! **

OBJECTIVE:
To destroy aliens attempting to steal bricks from your 3 defense bases.
The aliens will arrange stolen bricks to spell out  "END" at the top of the screen.

Use your joystick to move your spaceship left of right and press the button to fire to the aliens.

THE POINTS:
Each alien destroyed scores 40, 60 or 100 points.
Destroying aliens carrying a stolen brick scores double.
Destroying MotherShip scores 10 to 100 points. That same amount will be awarded as bonus for each brick needed to complete the word "END"

ANOTHER DETAILS:

You start the game with 3 spaceships.
An extra ship will be awarded when you reach 5,000 points.

Game is over when all your spaceships are destroyed or "END" is spelled out by the aliens.

Each level is represented by a "wave".
Every 5 "waves", the MotherShip will come down to attack your spaceship. If you destroy it, a "round" of 5 "waves" will be completed.
When a new "round" begins, the aliens with have to start spelling "END" all over again.

** USE OF THE LEFT DIFFICULTY SWITCH **

** A = ADVANCED  - GAME STARTS WITH 6 ALIENS AND FASTER ALIEN BULLETS **

** B = BEGINNERS - GAME STARTS WITH 3 ALIENS AND SLOW ALIEN BULLETS **

The game is complete and fully playable.
It has 40 levels and is fast and very challenging.

The game is not exactly in graphics as the arcade version but the gameplay is. Also I have added some animations that are not in the arcade.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it !
Please tell me your feedback about the game and let me know if the game is too easy or too hard or if you find any bugs in the game.

Let's see those high scores !!

RaymanC

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.11.19 - 11.50.00.22.jpg

The End 2600 Instructions .txt

The End NTSC - RC6.bin The End PAL60 - RC6.bin

Edited by RaymanC
** FINAL ROMS ATTACHED **
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Unable to play the ROM on my UnoCart. It does work with my Harmony Encore.

The game is pretty fast and challenging. It looked slower during the ZPH livestream.

I like how it ramped up a bit after the first 5 waves. I almost completed the second set of 5.  I also like how the background sound gets faster (similar to Asteroids) when the word ‘End’ is near completion. 

I’m only able to play two games tonight, but here’s my best score. I plan on playing much more.

The Score Table is a nice touch.  Would you be able to add a high score table (Score Ranking Table) like the arcade? 

FB30E2B2-9C94-492E-B16C-AA7144AB4BA9.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008
Score Table/Score Ranking Table
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

The game is pretty fast and challenging. It looked slower during the ZPH livestream.

That's just me, I make the game look easy, hahahah. ;-)

Actually, it's been through a couple of iterations since I played it on the show so there's more going on now, like two types of enemies grabbing your blocks at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We'll be checking out the updates to The End 2600 LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Robot City (2019 WIP Update) by Thomas Jentzsch
- Street Rod 2600 (2019 WIP) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred
- The End 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Carlos aka RaymanC

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Unable to play the ROM on my UnoCart. It does work with my Harmony Encore.

I like how it ramped up a bit after the first 5 waves. I almost completed the second set of 5.  I also like how the background sound gets faster (similar to Asteroids) when the word ‘End’ is near completion. 

I’m only able to play two games tonight, but here’s my best score. I plan on playing much more.

The Score Table is a nice touch.  Would you be able to add a high score table (Score Ranking Table) like the arcade? 

Yes, I wanted to ramp it up every 5 waves ( every round ) so the game is not too hard at the beggining. However I think I will add an option to ramp it up every 2 or 3 waves when the difficulty switch is set to "A".

I started to make the high score table but ran out of ROM space in the graphics bank.

• Like 1

@RaymanC Played NTSC_RC2 today for quite some time and I found a bug (please see attached video). When the bug occurs, your shots go through the alien and there is no way to kill it and continue with your game. I don't know how I triggered this, but it occurred twice (two different games). I also noticed that a couple of times I was able to kill two aliens with a single shot. Not sure if this is normal or another bug, so I thought I should mention it.

Below is my latest high score for RC2. This game is very challenging and hard to walk away from. I kept hitting the reset button, over and over. ?

HS_System.jpg

HS.jpg

Score Table.jpg

Title Screen.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.

I also found that bug yesterday while I was playing. I am always recording every play so I will watch the replay to see what triggered the bug.

You can kill more that 1 alien with a single shot as long as they make contact with the bullet.

Wow, 72040 is the highest score I have seen so far since the improvements.

Which wave did you reach ?

Carlos

18 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@RaymanC Played NTSC_RC2 today for quite some time and I found a bug (please see attached video). When the bug occurs, your shots go through the alien and there is no way to kill it and continue with your game. I don't know how I triggered this, but it occurred twice (two different games). I also noticed that a couple of times I was able to kill two aliens with a single shot. Not sure if this is normal or another bug, so I thought I should mention it.

End_2600 Glitch.MOV 15.71 MB · 1 download

Below is my latest high score for RC2. This game is very challenging and hard to walk away from. I kept hitting the reset button, over and over. ?

HS_System.jpg

HS.jpg

Score Table.jpg

Title Screen.jpg

Great stuff Steve - you are such a great asset to the community with your testing ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Great stuff Steve - you are such a great asset to the community with your testing ?

Thank you Matt, it's the least I can do. Hats off to all of the developers that continue to bring us such amazing games. Wish I had more time to test more games.?

• Like 3