IGNORED

C*R*A*S*H

atrax27407

Last night was not a good night! My Commodore 1084 monitor suddenly decided to "go to black" while I was working on the TI shortly before midnight. So, I had to dig my Magnavox RGB Monitor 80 out of the top of the closet and hook it up. Not something I would recommend for a midnight endeavor! Luckily the two monitor cables are identical so it was a fairly painless installation. I sure wish there was someone around who worked on old TV/monitors. I really need to find another backup - something that is a direct plug-in. I still have a 17" LCD VGA monitor that I picked up for $17 and an 18" CRT from an old PC system as well as the GBS8200 gear to hook both of them up but those will be as a "last resort". Getting either of them to display properly has so far been a bit of a challenge.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a modern monitor to use that would easy to get working? I guess I will start prowling the pawn shops in the near future - should be a good time just before Christmas.

Edited by atrax27407

Those 1084s have known failure modes which are easy to repair.  One of them is as easy as re-flowing solder joints around the fly-back.  Would be worth nosing around a Commodore forum and asking about it.

I have had fairly good results with some of the Dell UltraSharp models with composite inputs.  The biggest challenge is that most of them treat the incoming signal as interlaced, which tends to mangle our video (tearing and what-not.)  The 2001FP, 2007FP, and 2009FPs have been good to me.