IGNORED

SDrive Max power question

eightbit

1 hour ago, Minok1217 said:

A simple choice of the correct type of slider switch should prevent that from happening

What prevents it from happening is that you need to open up the S-drive and connect the white wire for SIO power. 

Mine can stay disconnected. My PSU is DC9v /200mA. Works great, nothing is getting hot.

1 hour ago, Minok1217 said:

It is also not recommended to power the SDrive-MAX using the USB connection, damage may occur."

Although I built my own, I power mine via the USB connection, although I didn't connect the SIO power connection

as I prefer my S-Drive to be powered on and booted before I power the Atari on.

If that warning is on the box (or hidden :) ), I can only assume that putting the switch in the "wrong" position indicates

it hasn't been designed correctly.

It probably means that the SIO and USB power supplies are connected together, if that's the case then the "damage" 

would be if the 2 power supplies had a reasonable variation from 5V, in which case the higher supply would try to

power the lower, if that was the S-Drive, it would be sending power via the SIO to the 8 bit.

• Like 1

Yeah that is the issue I have with it from an electrical engineering standpoint. 

looking at photos of the small board the switch seems to go to, the switch works as an externally accessed jumper - it merely shorts 2 pins on a board it seems.  Poop. So as My usage we’ll never see it driven from SIO power I might as well just CA glue it in the up (external power) position so I don’t run the risk of it getting moved to the down (SIO power) position. 

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I know that post is from some years ago, but just to confirm what I read here.

My SDrive-MAX is using SIO to power the device. If I wanna use an external 5v power with P4 connector, I need to switch the SIOFIX switcher for this otherwise it will damage my SDrive?
So, the switch how it is, working for SIO power. Switch it to use "only" on P4 power. No way to switch to external power and connect to SIO? It will damage too?
Thanks.

4 minutes ago, spawnerbr said:

Hi all. I know that post is from some years ago, but just to confirm what I read here.

My SDrive-MAX is using SIO to power the device. If I wanna use an external 5v power with P4 connector, I need to switch the SIOFIX switcher for this otherwise it will damage my SDrive?
So, the switch how it is, working for SIO power. Switch it to use "only" on P4 power. No way to switch to external power and connect to SIO? It will damage too?
Thanks.

If your particular sdrive max doesn't have an external switch to chose between sio power only or external/mains power only, then it should have a jumper or switch inside. So open up the sdrive max casing and look I side. But whatever you do don't power it with an external psu at the same time as being powered by the Sio. If currently you are able to power it with no external power on just the Sio plug, then this needs to be switched before you plug any external power source in. Can you take pics of your model once open. And try and locate the internal jumper/switch?

15 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

If your particular sdrive max doesn't have an external switch to chose between sio power only or external/mains power only, then it should have a jumper or switch inside. So open up the sdrive max casing and look I side. But whatever you do don't power it with an external psu at the same time as being powered by the Sio. If currently you are able to power it with no external power on just the Sio plug, then this needs to be switched before you plug any external power source in. Can you take pics of your model once open. And try and locate the internal jumper/switch?

Mine have, but I know that I have to use an external PSU for the SDrive-MAX to use on Atari 1200XL. It is set to power through the SIO, so I can't use external PSU on that position right? Only moving the switch.

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, spawnerbr said:

Mine have, but I know that I have to use an external PSU for the SDrive-MAX to use on Atari 1200XL. It is set to power through the SIO, so I can't use external PSU on that position right? Only moving the switch.

s-l1600.jpg

If you want to use external power you have to flick the switch to stop it taking power from the Sio. So, to test it is off just flick the switch and close up the unit. Then plug the sdrive max into your 1200xl's sio standalone, (with no external psu plugged into the sdrive max). The sdrive max should not power up when the 1200xl is powered up. The you know for sure it's disabled and you can go ahead and use an external psu to power the sdrive max. 

7 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

If you want to use external power you have to flick the switch to stop it taking power from the Sio. So, to test it is off just flick the switch and close up the unit. Then plug the sdrive max into your 1200xl's sio standalone, (with no external psu plugged into the sdrive max). The sdrive max should not power up when the 1200xl is powered up. The you know for sure it's disabled and you can go ahead and use an external psu to power the sdrive max. 

That is the problem. The 1200 XL don't have power for the SDrive-MAX through the pinout or something like that. There is a mod called "SIO 5v Enabled" on the resistor R63, but I can use an external power to use my SDrive. But I did what you suggested. I have 800XL, 65XE and they power the SDrive when the SIOFIX switch is enable.

33 minutes ago, spawnerbr said:

That is the problem. The 1200 XL don't have power for the SDrive-MAX through the pinout or something like that. There is a mod called "SIO 5v Enabled" on the resistor R63, but I can use an external power to use my SDrive. But I did what you suggested. I have 800XL, 65XE and they power the SDrive when the SIOFIX switch is enable.

Ok, so once you disable it for your 800xl, 65xe and double check as I've suggested, then you'll know it's been disabled, and the it's safe to use the external power. So long as you have an A8 other than the 1200xl that you can 100% internal power has been turned off, it's all good. 

Edited by Beeblebrox