eightbit

SDrive Max power question

So I have decided to purchase an Sdrive Max pre-built (as I have no access to 3D printers for the case, etc...and the price was right at $50 done already) from a seller on ebay. There were two sellers on ebay selling these and both are providing USB as a way to power the drive.

But, I am finding people in forums (here too) saying that powering over USB is not supposed to be used as the USB power is only for when it is connected to a PC for flashing.

Then I read a 12V 1A center pos 2.1mm power supply should be used. Then I am reading somewhere else that 12V is overkill and will lessen the life of the unit and that 9V 1A should be used.

Yeah, reading alot. Ugh!

So, quiet simply can someone with the right knowledge answer this question and perhaps point me to the power supply that they use? Or is the USB actually OK to use?

Forgive me, I just received a nice 800XL after not owning one in many years and a lot has changed since I was using RS-232 serial to SIO adapters ;)

Thanks for the responses guys! I wonder what all of the hoopla is about not using the USB then? If you guys say its ok I will just do it that way!

Very cool. Now, when you use the USB on this (or any power for that matter) is it "always on"? In other words, I either have to connect it to a USB on/off switch or unplug the USB wall wart connected to it in order to power it off? I do not have the device yet obviously but am trying to be prepared. Thank you for the responses! I really love the Atari 8-bit home computers and this device really looks great!

9 hours ago, eightbit said:

Thanks for the responses guys! I wonder what all of the hoopla is about not using the USB then? If you guys say its ok I will just do it that way!

Its from people who don't really understand and make assumptions, the Arduino is meant to be powered by it's USB connection.

I have my SDrive connected to one of those mains extension leads that also has USB power outputs

The UNO can be powered through the power jack using 5v-12v without problems, from the usb socket with 5v and from a couple of GPIO pins with 5v. all of these methods are fine. The UNO screens use a varying amount of power (up to 200ma) depending on the screen type and manufacturer. 

The Atari SIO is rated to output 5v at 50ma, for some screens this is enough, for some it's not. Some Ataris can output more than 50ma so they can also handle the screens that use more. Some people use more than one device on the SIO and some people use more than one SIO powered device on the SIO for some people Atari power is enough, for some they hit limits.

Some people are worried they might be shortening the life of their Atari by sucking so much power for long periods.

Some people play it safe and use USB or external power just to avoid the worry.

It's funny so much misinformation is out there. Glad you guys are hear to set the record straight :) I will just use the USB with a phone USB power brick. Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!

I currently have all of mine set to use SIO power, I may have to reconsider and use USB - will help especially as it will always be on rather than at power up

Hi,

Just to clear up the wiring for the SIO connector, if you are powering an SDrive Max from USB or the Arduino power connector, should you make sure *not* to connect the SDrive Max to the SIO power line (pin 10 +5v/Power)? That is:

- only connect the SIO power on pin 10, or

- only use USB power or Arduino power socket power

- not both at the same time

I think I may have been having power level issues with the two SDrive Maxes I have built, one setup worked fine, one was white screening (on the same system), but the second Arduino had issues with the firmware flashing, so I've just managed to reset it via ICSP, and am going to have another go at building the perfboard SIO fixup circuit. 

Incidentally, the original perfboard prototype by @BigBen drew its power from pin 10 (judging by the photos), should you also not connect SIO pin 10 if you have this upgrade/fix?

Thanks!

@E474 Yes the original perfbord is powered from pin 10 of the SIO, so are the first few versions of my pcb. I added a jumper on v3 so it can be switched.