IGNORED

Hyperkin Atari 2600 Ranger Controller

That's one strange looking controller, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The box art you've posted says it's compatible with original Atari 2600 systems and the Flashback 10 supports original wired joysticks and paddles. 

Edited by Atariboy

Is there a way to switch between the left and right paddles? I believe the Atari 2600 uses the left paddle for player 1 whereas Atari 8-bit and Commodore 64 computers use the right paddle for player 1. This may vary by game, but I just tested a few games on each system.

Well, I got the controllers today.  They did NOT come with a Y-adapter and they do NOT work with the Flashback 9 (or Gold).  I was hoping they would, since I didn't see why they wouldn't, but they don't work at all.  Not in joystick mode and not in paddle mode, although the console does detect a paddle connected since the warning box pops up saying to disconnect paddles when not in use.

I haven't tried them with their intended Retron77 yet, or my 7800.

Edit: I should state that my Flashback 9 (and Gold) are modded to use original paddles.

Edited by KevinMos3

Would be interesting to see if they work on the Flashback 10.

Perhaps the issue is that even when it's being used as a joystick controller, the built-in paddle functionality is breaking things for the Flashback 9 (which of course isn't compatible with unmodified original Atari paddles)?

Edited by Atariboy

On 12/5/2019 at 9:28 PM, KevinMos3 said:

I ordered 2 of them.  Looking forward to trying them out.  I thought I read on the description that they come with a Y adapter to combine 2 paddles for play like the original paddles.

After I received mine, I had seller contact Hyperkin about the missing adapter. That was an error in the description. They did not include the adapter with any of the units. No idea if they plan to release the adapter or not either. The description also stated works with Flashback's but not the Flashback 9. Appears that part of the description was correct.

Edited by NISMOPC

20 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

...I had seller contact Hyperkin about the missing adapter. That was an error in the description...

I need to contact them.  They need to make good on this.

20 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

...The description also stated works with Flashback's but not the Flashback 9. Appears that part of the description was correct.

It shouldn't work on a non-modded Flashback 9, but I would think it would work on a modded one that works with standard paddles.  But, although I'm disappointed, I was kinda skeptical that they would work.  I'll have to try with my Flashback 8 Activision Ed. when I go to where it's stored at Christmas.

53 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Would be interesting to see if they work on the Flashback 10.

Perhaps the issue is that even when it's being used as a joystick controller, the built-in paddle functionality is breaking things for the Flashback 9 (which of course isn't compatible with unmodified original Atari paddles)?

I'm skeptical that it would work with the FB X, since it seems to use the same emulator.  I don't know.  I look forward to hearing from someone who has both.  I haven't even seen a X in stores yet.

I would like to know what's keeping it from working with a modded 9.  If there's a way to fix it, I'd be happy to do it.

Edited by KevinMos3

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

Well, I got the controllers today.  They did NOT come with a Y-adapter and they do NOT work with the Flashback 9 (or Gold).  I was hoping they would, since I didn't see why they wouldn't, but they don't work at all.  Not in joystick mode and not in paddle mode, although the console does detect a paddle connected since the warning box pops up saying to disconnect paddles when not in use.

I haven't tried them with their intended Retron77 yet, or my 7800.

Edit: I should state that my Flashback 9 (and Gold) are modded to use original paddles.

I seem to remember this issue occurring with Curt Vendel's combination 7800 joystick/paddle controller because some either/or games sensed which was present. He had to install a switch to turn off the paddle lines. So, you'd have to make simple adapter that terminates the paddle lines, since we know they won't work anyway. I imagine on the FBX, if it really does work with stock paddles, you would need an adapter with a switch to go back and forth.

22 minutes ago, Swami said:

I seem to remember this issue occurring with Curt Vendel's combination 7800 joystick/paddle controller because some either/or games sensed which was present. He had to install a switch to turn off the paddle lines. So, you'd have to make simple adapter that terminates the paddle lines, since we know they won't work anyway. I imagine on the FBX, if it really does work with stock paddles, you would need an adapter with a switch to go back and forth.

What's cool about these controllers is that they have a switch to go from stick to paddle mode, and a switch to go from left stick to right stick orientation.  I find that I prefer the stick on the right like an Atari joystick even though you use this like a thumbstick.  I wonder if the switch doesn't completely disable something.  Maybe they just aren't getting the right voltage from the FB9.  Keep in mind that Genesis controllers and 7800 controllers also do not work properly with the FB9 even though you'd think they would (they're detected as paddles and have messed up directions).  I think they also did not work with the FB8 models either, if I remember correctly.  These Ranger controllers don't work at all -- no button, no up/down, left/right -- nothing.

I've gotten to test it with the Retron 77 now and it works quite well.  I don't really sense much lag at all.  I think they work better than using the original paddles with the 2600dapter.  I did find it a little hard to get used to because the paddle is pretty stiff.  Hopefully it loosens up a bit after some more use.

I still need to try it with my 7800.

Also, these are much, much smaller than I thought they'd be from the pics.

Edited by KevinMos3

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

What's cool about these controllers is that they have a switch to go from stick to paddle mode, and a switch to go from left stick to right stick orientation.  I find that I prefer the stick on the right like an Atari joystick even though you use this like a thumbstick.  I wonder if the switch doesn't completely disable something.  Maybe they just aren't getting the right voltage from the FB9.  Keep in mind that Genesis controllers and 7800 controllers also do not work properly with the FB9 even though you'd think they would (they're detected as paddles and have messed up directions).  I think they also did not work with the FB8 models either, if I remember correctly.  These Ranger controllers don't work at all -- no button, no up/down, left/right -- nothing.

I've gotten to test it with the Retron 77 now and it works quite well.  I don't really sense much lag at all.  I think they work better than using the original paddles with the 2600dapter.  I did find it a little hard to get used to because the paddle is pretty stiff.  Hopefully it loosens up a bit after some more use.

I still need to try it with my 7800.

Also, these are much, much smaller than I thought they'd be from the pics.

My best guess is that the FB9 strobes for pin 5 to ground or pin 9 to ground and finds both on the 7800 controller and at least pin 5 -->GND on the Genesis controller, albeit, with some resistance. On consoles with keypads, its not too difficult to crash the controller, so, I'm thinking,

1. With the extra joystick buttons available on flashback controllers, maybe the controller is somehow crashing with strobing of the Ranger, along with pin 5 never being active on the Ranger for the FB9 to detect the paddle.

FB9 is probably (from another post)

MENU = UP + DOWN

SELECT = LEFT + RIGHT (or LEFT + RIGHT + DOWN)

REWIND = LEFT + RIGHT + UP

START = UP + DOWN + LEFT

I wonder if pin 5, 7 or 9 has a function for the flashback joystick...unlikely.

Pins 1-4 and 8 have the normal functions for joystick

We would probably need the controller pinouts for both the Ranger and FB9 to know for sure... :?

A search for "hyperkin ranger" "pinout" gives you zero hits.

Also, on that "2601" FPGA for the Atari 2600, with Astroblast, it can't detect the joystick button press, but if I move the joystick left, it detects it as the paddle button and assumes paddle mode (pin 3/move-left is fire for paddle A) and I assume the FB9 has some kind of oddball controller scheme, as well. 

Just noticed that it doesn't work properly with Scramble.  I can't get the bombs to work, so my guess is that it's being detected as a 2-button controller on that one.  I should try other games that auto detect a Genesis controller for 2-buttons, but I can't think of them at the moment.

17 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Just noticed that it doesn't work properly with Scramble.  I can't get the bombs to work, so my guess is that it's being detected as a 2-button controller on that one.  I should try other games that auto detect a Genesis controller for 2-buttons, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Stay Frosty 2 and Super Cobra.

Edit: Also, Gingerbread Man, Space Rocks and Princess Rescue. Omega Race uses pin5-->GND (fire) and pin9-->GND (thrust), I think 6-->GND may also be fire...

and there is a whole slew of 2-button hacks for the Genesis controllers:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...