IGNORED

Pics of recent "massive" manual purchase (Rescue Terra I)

williamc

About two weeks ago, I was browsing eBay, trying some random searches to see if anything interesting turned up.  I enjoy doing that sometimes... I don't usually end up buying anything but it can be fun to look through the photos anyway.  I came upon a listing for a "massive" Atari manual lot.  The BIN price was $95 + $4 shipping, which I figured would be too high no matter what was in it.  But the first photo showed the poster/manual for Tac-Scan along with some of the stickers that came with that game. Since I didn't yet have those in my collection, I went ahead and clicked on it.

There wasn't a textual list of the lot contents but there were a bunch of photos.  I saw a handful of items I didn't have, including a couple of things that weren't very familiar to be.  But it wasn't until I scrolled to the last photo that I decided to pull the trigger.  It showed these two items:

terra.thumb.jpg.7fa2c8baf4a8900cb047afe62541dfae.jpg

This is my photo, not the one from the auction -- it's reflective because I'm storing them in a plastic sheet protector.

I just couldn't resist.  I don't have a Rescue Terra I cart, but I've had an interest in this game since reading about in the Digital Press Guide many years ago.  Is this game still considered as rare now as it was back then?  Seems like most extra-rare games aren't that fun to play, but Rescue Terra I is supposed to be a good one.  I really should try it on my Harmony cart.

The overall lot really was pretty big, and had enough items of interest that I thought I'd share:

lot1.thumb.jpg.603267e85f985f3233bf6249fd00b887.jpg

lot2.thumb.jpg.6485cdc5c9b50fc51dbd2a80d4fbe5df.jpg

lot3.thumb.jpg.091aab507a0dea1af0cfddc671d7450e.jpg

There's some goodies in here.  Nothing as rare as Rescue Terra but some stuff I haven't seen often, anyway.  The Enduro ("99 Days if Racing") poster is pretty cool.  Anybody know how it was distributed?  How about that 2600 Trackball one in the first photo?

There were many catalogs, most of which I already had.  There were a couple that I didn't though, including this Atari revision that I don't remember seeing before:

atari-stars-catalog.thumb.jpg.56990e6cc607c33f19d9781060df7eec.jpgwaterworld.jpg.0b9fb96b470ad6eb14539e9bec55cbac.jpg

This is the only piece of Atari advertising in my collection that I can recall having a listing for Swordquest Waterworld (sorry for the poor photo).

log-book.thumb.jpg.d7e1c635ec4147622385fbb826cd04ea.jpg

Somehow I didn't have an Atari Log Book before, so I was glad one was included.  I also liked finding the Free Log Book offer card with the mail-in part removed.  It's cool that I have the Log Book along with probably a piece of the actual form that the original owner sent away to get it.

Looks like most of these items had the same original owner.  They recorded a lot of their scores (and some dates) on a few manuals:

scores.thumb.jpg.1530f0896642412f8567403104b2a6ce.jpg

Luckily the written scores are all on common manuals -- the rare pieces are clean.  Usually I don't keep items that have writing on them in my collection, but I'll make an exception when it's actual high scores from 1984.  It's been a while since I tried for high scores on these games... is 158,650 a good Dig Dug score?  Maybe on Jan. 7, 2020, I'll have to try to best "GH"'s high score from exactly 36 years before.

motu.thumb.jpg.b70d1717de6beaf7c692d9dc74b24a46.jpg

This He-Man comic was the only non-Atari item in the lot.  I've since learned it was the original minicomic included with the first issue of He-Man action figures.  Not terribly rare but at least it's a period piece.

I enjoyed spending part of my Thanksgiving going through this lot, so I feel I got my money's worth.  Overall it contained:

• 1 Rescue Terra I manual
  • 1 Rescue Terra I contest card
  • 6 Activision manuals (rarest was Bridge)
  • 1 MotU minicomic
  • 1 Imagic manaul (Atlantis)
  • 3 Atari silver manuals
  • 15 large white Atari manuals
  • 6 warranty cards
  • 2 Log Book items
  • 2 joystick instruction sheets (Champ and LeStick)
  • 3 M-Network manuals
  • 1 Parker Bros. manual (Tutankham)
  • 4 posters (including Tac-Scan manual/poster)
  • 5 Atari comics
  • 8 black Atari manuals
  • 20 catalogs (almost no dupes)
  • 1 sheet of 3 Tac-Scan stickers

That's 80 items total, or $1.23 per each.  Not too bad.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by williamc
  • Like 4

The comic that came with the MOTU game was a different one: "King of Castle Grayskull". Congrats on a great score! The Atari Stars catalog is a cool, uncommon one.

Lemme know if you ever wanna trade/sell the RT1 stuff. The game's probably not considered quite as rare as it once was, but it's still absolutely up there in terms of rarity.

8 hours ago, williamc said:

The Enduro ("99 Days if Racing") poster is pretty cool.  Anybody know how it was distributed?  How about that 2600 Trackball one in the first photo?

Great find!

Congratulations!

I've never seen the English version of that Enduro poster.

Here's the German one:
poster_enduro_atari_2600_ariola_germany.
Distributed by Ariola.

If you can scan / picture your poster, I'll add it to our database.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

23 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

If you can scan / picture your poster, I'll add it to our database.

Sure thing.  Large high-res scans (front and back) can be downloaded here:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/odyssey2/upload/enduro-poster.zip

I attached smaller res ones below too.

The sheet is 8.5" x 11".  I guess it's more of a sales flyer than a poster.

enduro-front.thumb.jpg.727ebfcbe2d828d3f19357c0359614fd.jpgenduro-back.thumb.jpg.8d3259ae3ab0e994ea62accf0a482051.jpg

Is it possible that He-Man for the 2600 didn't always come with the same minicomic issue?

• Like 1