IGNORED

Hyperkin Ranger is out.

envytomdead2

3 hours ago, reallybrett said:

Tested with Kaboom, Food Fight and Super Breakout on an Atari 800 XL.  Gamepad works great, paddle does not work in any of the paddle games I tried.

Try a 2-player game and see if the Ranger works for player 2. Don't use the second port though as that's for players 3 and 4; you'll have to hot swap controllers in the first port. I believe player 1 and 2 are reversed for 800XL compared to 2600.

The paddle on mine quit working already.  Only used it about 4 times.

Correction: It quit working on the Retron 77.  Still works on real hardware.  Still extremely frustrating, since I got it mainly for the Retron 77.

Edited by KevinMos3

Was able to log some hours testing over the last week and I'll applaud their attempt, but something isn't right with the paddle portion. It has a strange feeling on the left side of the screen, almost like there's a different resolution interpretation of the pot beyond center left. Right side of screen seems ok, but all game failures were due to something off with left of center. 

I couldn't even get close to 1000 with the ranger on kaboom after hours of trying to adapt. Plugged in my trusty Sears video arcade II (modified for 2600) controller (pictured far right) and got 2225 on kaboom on the 3rd game and cleared 3 screens on avalanche. Also tried the standard paddle and had some fair scores, but I get in the groove with that 2800 controller on paddle games. Went back to ranger and it felt like crap again. It's not bad as a game pad with the joy and button, but paddle is not right, ermm left. :p Ain't no one gonna be setting any records with the ranger paddle, it will just piss you off.

If you have a 2800 controller and are interested in wiring it for paddle on a 2600 see here:   

good day.

IMG_20200109_153910__01__01.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Reading all these is making me not sure if I want to get one or I should get one.  I think it would be more comfortable to use than a regular atari 2600 joystick as it's more like an NES or sega controller and I can hold those for a long time compared to an atari controller.  Was hoping the paddle would be better than what I have heard as none of my paddle controllers want to work.  I move it an inch and it flies across the screen, probably needs fixed, but not sure how to do that.  Would people recommend one of these or not?  I just got a harmony encore cart and want to play games on my 2600/7800 and would like to be comfortable as possible with it. 

In a nutshell, I'd say that if you are looking to play paddle games with the Ranger, you're likely to be disappointed.  It does function as a paddle, but not very well.

On the other hand- as a gamepad type controller it is quite comfortable with good button action and an okay thumbstick, plus it can be switched between right and left handed functionality.  Also, keep in mind that it has been engineered to be light as opposed to strong, so don't expect it to survive a quick trip to the wall or a hard floor.

1 hour ago, metzger130 said:

So, why would I get one of these if I have a bunch of sega genesis controllers sitting around?  What would be the advantage of me spending money?

Two reasons:

Having a thumbstick can give you a whole new feel to your games. Gyruss is arguably better with a thumbstick than with a dpad.

You can flip it and have the directions controlled by the right hand instead of the left. What Genesis dpad controller does that?

• 2 months later...

This is probably the wrong place for this... but has anyone used the Ranger with a Commodore 64? I'm getting absolutely nowhere with it and am wondering if I have a defective controller.

I get absolutely no response from the paddle, and joystick mode also either isn't working or working strangely. I have a Retron 77 arriving soon, but until then I have no other systems to test the controller with.

I bought a Ranger a couple of weeks ago and HATED the thumbstick design. I found the small, sharp, hexagonal shape to be very uncomfortable.

Luckily I found that joystick caps for the Nintendo Switch fit it perfectly and greatly improved it for me.

If anyone is interested, these are what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTHG2WP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmadgames said:

I have a Retron 77 with the latest Stella firmware and the Ranger will not work at all for me as a paddle. Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure that you set the switch to "P mode" before plugging in the controller.  I noticed that switching modes while connected didn't always register with the Retron.

1 minute ago, gilsaluki said:

Tried the P mode on an Atari Computer. It does not work with Super Breakout, nor Clowns and Balloons in Paddle mode (Control-P).  Oh, well, nice in JS mode.

I may be wrong, but I think the Atari computers have paddle 1 and paddle 2 reversed vs. the 2600.  Since the Ranger only supports player 1, it doesn't work on the 8-bits. :( I did wire up a quick circuit that allows me to hook up 2 rangers to one port as paddle A and paddle B and paddle B works on the 8-bits. :) 

Just now, johnnywc said:

I may be wrong, but I think the Atari computers have paddle 1 and paddle 2 reversed vs. the 2600.  Since the Ranger only supports player 1, it doesn't work on the 8-bits. :( I did wire up a quick circuit that allows me to hook up 2 rangers to one port as paddle A and paddle B and paddle B works on the 8-bits. :) 

Hey. Thanks for the feedback.  Good to know stuff.  I really like the balanced feel of the controller, feels solid as well.  I will try it on my 2600 soon.  Now, if that person that is working on a mod to add another fire button and make it 7800 compatible would come through with an EZ mod and share it...that would be great as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fluxit said:

Make sure that you set the switch to "P mode" before plugging in the controller.  I noticed that switching modes while connected didn't always register with the Retron.

I tried plugging in with the Ranger in P mode and then turning on the console and the paddle won't do anything in the menu

10 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I really don't know why they just didn't include a third switch to be paddle 1 or 2

Good point Bob!  Or even just one tri-state switch; left for Paddle 1, middle = joystick, right = Paddle 2.  Oh well, maybe for the Ranger II. ;) 

• Like 1