IGNORED

Help identifying PCI card.

Mehridian Sanders

I pulled this from a computer. I am pretty sure it is for a 286 PC. The part reads "PTI-210B" and underneath that is "2S/1P".

Normal google search found a similar card "PTI-210", but different in its jumper positions. Could this have been a prototype or engineering sample? Where would you go to look? I trust you all more than other places.

Thanks in advance!df21161440fff62ef78fb873da9a003a.jpg3ec47414fcb827de3f83f717e0a0a5b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just now, FarmerPotato said:

I googled a datasheet for the big chip, VL16C452-QC. It is a:

Dual channel of VL16C450
Centronics printer interface
Two Serial interfaces

So, what you have is a RS232 card for IBM PC/AT. Actually I see tater1337 already identified it. Duh. You're the smarter potato today.

just quicker

it is a PC isa card for 8088 and 8086's (maybe 286 and 386) notice the missing gameport?
jumpers were for enabling the spare rs-232 and IRQ selection for the  serial ports

usually when you'd find these you'd swap them out for ones that had all the ports (PRN, S1,S2,joy) with silk screened jumpers so you could drop it in and not have to worry about documentation

maybe a camera angle from the other side so we can see all the jumper silk screening might help. I am betting the 2 pair are IRQ selection and the single jumper select is second serial enable

Note, the "B" at the end of the part number explains much. That says this is a later revision of the board, which explains the differences in the positioning of the jumpers. Note also that it was originally designed to have a game connector at the top, which explains the large group of missing components. The first site I encountered with a series of DTK boards identified also only describes the PTI-210, and notes that it has two serial and one parallel port, which also matches your silkscreen data (2S/1P). You might get lucky and find a description of the 210B, but there are no guarantees.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2

I went looking through the Total Hardware 99 archive and only came up with the earlier PTI-210 (using through-hole components). That's probably one of the more comprehensive sources of data on old PC bits out there. . .just search on TH99 or TH99FULL and you'll find a 160 MB file with a lot of different cards in it.

• Like 1

In the late 90s, before the rise of USB, many PCI chipset motherboards had integrated serial and LPT IO on the back. 

In this case, keeping that thing around is useful if you want to set up/load up some old vintage x86 machines, since you can use a copy of fastlynx to parallel transfer files over.  (It's basically like midnight commander, except it can transfer over an LPT cable, or a serial null-modem.  LPT was faster.)

Given how the prices on those things has exploded on Ebay, if you have any such old clunkers and you dont love them, load them up with FreeDos and some abandonware, and sell them for around 200$ a pop.

Edited by wierd_w

On 12/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, wierd_w said:

In the late 90s, before the rise of USB, many PCI chipset motherboards had integrated serial and LPT IO on the back. 

In this case, keeping that thing around is useful if you want to set up/load up some old vintage x86 machines, since you can use a copy of fastlynx to parallel transfer files over.  (It's basically like midnight commander, except it can transfer over an LPT cable, or a serial null-modem.  LPT was faster.)

Given how the prices on those things has exploded on Ebay, if you have any such old clunkers and you dont love them, load them up with FreeDos and some abandonware, and sell them for around 200$ a pop.

I have a few such boards. The nice thing about this board is that I believe I can put a SATA SSD in the PCI port and have much faster response times for loading Win98 or XP. My choice is to make the one pictured a sort of NAS for Home. I have a few (closer to a Dozen) hard drives that have been wiped. probably use it for some Dos Games I still have lying about. Somehow I want to play Dune again. I think it was x286 or x386 era. More to Follow. 

I sold tons of DTK´s stuff in the early 90s, and also remember knowing Billy Ho in person,

he was something like their president here in Germany, near Düsseldorf.

There were so many meetings, and parking my car every time backwards at the DTK loading ramp,

and driving home to my office, dragging the trailer hitch across the asphalt and throwing sparks :)

Years later, Billy went to (or founded) Fontex, then CAF, and I followed him up, as he only made great stuff & deals

Edited by Schmitzi
  • Like 1