ClausB

Did you start out on a TI programmable calculator?

The first $100 4-banger digital calculators didn't arrive till after I graduated high school. I got Ds in math. ;) Later I bought a TI-30 (still have it) and was playing with Einstein's equations.

Didn't get a computer till '84, a used TS1000 with 16K RAMpack for $50. TI99/4A arrived in '87 and I was off and running.

-Ed

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, lucien2 said:

...and PLC programming at technical school.

They are frequently programmed in C or the Pascal inspired Structured text languages today.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, apersson850 said:

They are frequently programmed in C or the Pascal inspired Structured text languages today.

All of which were Algol-inspired.  :)

...lee

In my garage, I just found a TI-58/59 Service Manual. I was going to scan it, but there are already good scans out there. 

For instance,  https://airy.rskey.org/CALCDOCS//TI/ti59-service-manual.pdf

The fuzzy pictures in that scan are just as fuzzy in the original. Maybe the board layouts could be higher resolution, but those are quite readable. The original is not much better (chip numbers really have poorly reproduced markings.)

I started with a TI-57, very good machine in spite of the limited amount of memory.

Then a TI-58C... and then a TI-66 (very disappointed with the low speed of this last...)

Then a TI-59 !

I wrote a compiler for the TI-59, it uses a high level language and compiles everything in TI opcodes. You can find it here:

https://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/ti58_e.htm

Guillaume.

• Like 1

I could never figure out those graphing calculators to save my life. My boyfriend didn't start out with one, either, he was 2-3 when he started doing simple programming on the TI-99/4A of his, has an embarrassing story to tell about how much he got engrossed with it (then again, I have an embarrassing story to tell about myself at 5 years old involving a convenience store arcade game, but that's neither here nor there...).