IGNORED

If you have a FinalGROM, how much do you use original era carts?

pixelpedant

Just curious how much folks here with a FinalGROM use original era cartridges, these days.  Do you sometimes use old carts "just because"?  Do you keep carts fully supported by FinalGROM in/around your computing area, even if they're not strictly needed?  How much have flashcarts (and for that matter, combo carts like the XB 2.7 Suite) meant that original era carts simply get permanently put aside or kept in storage?  Basically, is that old copy of Parsec still to be found, somewhere around your TI-99?

Just curious how much folks here with a FinalGROM use original era cartridges, these days.  Do you sometimes use old carts "just because"?  Do you keep carts fully supported by FinalGROM in/around your computing area, even if they're not strictly needed?  How much have flashcarts (and for that matter, combo carts like the XB 2.7 Suite) meant that original era carts simply get permanently put aside or kept in storage?  Basically, is that old copy of Parsec still to be found, somewhere around your TI-99?

I use them now and then.. and I am keeping the whole collection. I made that mistake when I got my first gram kracker in the 80s and sold off the carts I had at the time. Later when I wanted them again they had to be located and repurchased and some have been very tough to find.

I even designed a 3d printable display rack for them but they take a long time to print.. I had them all displayed on the wall in my last place but since I moved into a new house I haven't mounted them on the wall..

Greg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I own FinalGROM99 and actually I never use original cartridges. In fact I only have 5 cartridges that came with the computer when was bought, and it makes no sense for me to release the FinalGROM99 cartridge to put another cartridge when I have the same program inside the FinalGROM99.

The only time the FG99 is not in my main TI-99/4A, is when I have my 80K GramKracker in.  Which is not often, as the two GRAM banks are not working, at this time.  I can test both GRAM banks with the GK editor, so it must be a switch or trace problem.  I can't do the repair work any more, and I've not found anyone on-line willing to do it either.  It is rather tricky to dis-assemble and re-assemble.

RETRO Bill

i leave my FG99 in my system just about all the time. 

i did keep a number of carts that had sentimental or nostalgic value (insert Zero Zap joke here), and when I get the wild hare to use Extended Basic, Disk Manager, or Editor/Assembler I do swap out for the original cartridges.  Likewise for the MBX carts, some games like Bigfoot just seem to work better with the original cart versus FG99.

Plus, it just ain't the same using FG99 for Tunnels of Doom or Adventure.  :)

3 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

On an interesting note, the SD card on my FinalGROM has more storage space than the hard drive on my original PC!  It also has more RAM available (with bank switching) than my original PC as well.  When combined with the TIPI... AWESOME!

System-II.thumb.png.7305d8dd83d82b46c92e9ed345112fbe.png

Is that your round TI disc to hold your beer/coffee? I like it ?