IGNORED

Did the Montezuma's Revenge prototype ever get 'fixed'

H.E.R.O.

Forgive an old C64 fan who hasn't kept up on 400/800 goings on but was curious if the 48k prototype version of Montezuma's Revenge ever got 'fixed' so that Montezuma could be fought & defeated. Did do a search and a person in one thread did say they had fixed it but, alas, the link to said treasure is no longer working. It's more curiosity's sake than anything but if a fixed version exists I'd like to give it a whirl.

I've got my doubts.  I'm not sure that the boss fight methodology was even conceived for the game.

You can stand part way up a ladder which makes you invulnerable to the stomping, so maybe that was to be part of the strategy.

From memory you can also accumulate a surplus of swords especially towards the end so maybe that was to be part of it as well.

I used to play the game a lot and was disappointed that there was no way to complete it.

Then years later, almost equally disappointed at the feeble effort that was the commercial release of Montezuma's Revenge.

It's almost an ironic twist to the whole saga and a play on the name - create a proto of a promising game that leaves you hanging for the conclusion but then get fed an end product that fails to deliver.

41 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I played the C64 one and seem to remember eventually getting to a room and falling and falling and falling and then it said something like  The End...I think that is the case..Don't remember a Boss battle in any form?

That's the treasure room where you grab all the jewels (tho in my teen years my friends & I thought they were anti-diarrhea bottles...hey, the game WAS called Montezuma's Revenge after all!) and then you move onto the next level. There was never a 'The End' far as I recall.