IGNORED

Chess

Andrew Davie

This one has come up a treat. I like it a lot. The colours, in particular, seem to work well together.

There's a small gap between the squares, and that allows me to get the edges a bit crisper by printing the blue base layers first. More colour swaps when printing, but I've got that down to a fine art now.  i'm going to round those square edges, and put a hinge part on that side as well... and some sort of fricton-based closing clamps. Then it will be close to completion and I might feel like some programming again.  On the inside, I plan to put stick-backed felt in the flat bits to (a) protect the cart/pieces, but also (b) hide the see-through-ness.

IMG_20200806_183926.thumb.jpg.79ac616226ae8d64c0d0166703063488.jpg

IMG_20200806_183934.thumb.jpg.cb5f3257303e01c1e5da0056d76771b0.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Al_Nafuur said:

I like the colors.

Do you plan to print them all by yourself, or are you planning to use a 3d printing service like craftcloud3d ?

TY. I'll print them myself. The idea is to do a small run where I have done as much as possible myself, so it's effectively "hand crafted" by the author.

Very frustrating having to wait till the next day to do a test print. I don't trust my printer enough to run it overnight - visions of it bursting into flames and all that means that I pretty much have to be nearby (and awake) when it's printing.

So, here's a video of the model - it's getting close to final now. I've added some hinges to the spine - these will allow it to open flat, hopefully. Hinges aren't shown - they're basically formed with an oval with a hole each foci. The hole just big enough to slide some 1.75mm filament through. So, you can see that hole in the video - I'll put in the hinges and hold them with a long segment of filament through the hole.

I've rounded the edges of the box itself. Looks nice to me.

I've added two magnet inserts on the corners - room for a 6mm x 6mm magnet. Will order these. I expect neodymium magnets will be more than strong enough to keep the box closed.

I've added a small "thumb slot" to aid with opening the box - but really more just a style thing.

That's about it.  Will print it tomorrow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

TY. I'll print them myself. The idea is to do a small run where I have done as much as possible myself, so it's effectively "hand crafted" by the author.

I guess I may as well print the cartridge shells myself, too.

I'll have to do a design for that, too, I guess.

That last iteration printed OK. I haven't scraped off all the various strings etc., but it's good enough to show.  There are a few things I'm going to change but for now I was able to put it alongside the previous iteration so I could see what a "full board" would look like. Pretty good.

IMG_20200807_204418.thumb.jpg.bef06cadeb3b258147ce0eae607898fa.jpg

In this iteration I re-added the surrounding border, but the biggest change is the gold chesspieces on the side of the board. At first I wasn't terribly happy with the result, but on reflection these don't look half-bad. I'm going to reduce them to just 6 or maybe 4 pieces. And on the other half of the box, not sure what I'll have yet - maybe an ident of the game.

IMG_20200807_205026.thumb.jpg.f3c6fdf57f87b7689c3472a3f389eeb6.jpg

IMG_20200807_205015.thumb.jpg.5debad1b921de1f73920bbf83c75bf4d.jpg

The two halves fit nicely (vertically) inside a standard '2600 box, so that's good. I may reduce layer size just a fraction to give the cartridge just a little more room. In all, it's extremely tight packing to expect a box to hold a cart, pieces, and a folding-out chessboard, but I think this will end up workable.

IMG_20200807_204625.thumb.jpg.89b1c2886704250dae1d536a78b5c040.jpg

There's a bit of an offset in the pic (inside the box) because the two halves are different designs and internally hold the cart (which IS inside) slightly different positions. That won't happen when I'm using two of the same parts. This one took me about 6 hours to print, so it's very slow going and I haven't yet done two of the same (which would give me a completed print).

The hole for the 'hinge' didn't come out large enough, and I've thought of a different ("invisible" way to mount the magnets in the corner, so I'll be changing those things at the very least. I may make the spine for the hinge area a bit larger, the walls on the cart cradle a bit thicker.  It all depends now on what chess pieces I use, and if they're going to fit. Well, I guess they *have to*.  So, perhaps time to buy my favourite(s) and see how they go. Will take about 6 weeks to arrive, at a guess.

IMG_20200807_204455.thumb.jpg.079eb28e3e2d125a9e5a7275cead8f30.jpg

These are all being printed with a very low-cost printer using an 0.4mm nozzle, and just a single colour at a time. I'm "hot-swapping" filament during prints to achieve the multiple colours shown.  I do this by splitting prints into multiple parts and printing all of one colour at a time. It's not terribly difficult, but you do need to have your technique down solid to get good results.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 8

23 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

In all, it's extremely tight packing to expect a box to hold a cart, pieces, and a folding-out chessboard, but I think this will end up workable.

II you're going to print the cart shells too, you could probably make it shorter than the standard atari ones (depending on the size of the PCB you're going to use). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

II you're going to print the cart shells too, you could probably make it shorter than the standard atari ones (depending on the size of the PCB you're going to use). 

Good point. The purists might be up in arms.

I need to find a good starting point for shell form/design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Good point. The purists might be up in arms.

I need to find a good starting point for shell form/design.

There is a design at Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1790785

AtariAge User @SvOlli has modified it to fit the UnoCart.

• Like 1

Thinking more about it, the cartridge slot on 6 switch consoles is about 4 cm deep (the slot is less recessed on 4-switch and juniors models). So, apart for that area, you can get creative with the design of the top of the cartridge.
For example, it could be shaped like a chess piece...

IMG_20200808_145316.thumb.jpg.4c12ea22da5a83404b0d533113046295.jpg

IMG_20200808_145457.thumb.jpg.c47a2d98112388c233821616ced65034.jpg

1 hour ago, alex_79 said:

Thinking more about it, the cartridge slot on 6 switch consoles is about 4 cm deep (the slot is less recessed on 4-switch and juniors models). So, apart for that area, you can get creative with the design of the top of the cartridge.
For example, it could be shaped like a chess piece...

IMG_20200808_145316.thumb.jpg.4c12ea22da5a83404b0d533113046295.jpg

IMG_20200808_145457.thumb.jpg.c47a2d98112388c233821616ced65034.jpg

Yes, great idea. A king comes to mind - that would be an awesome cartridge.

• Like 1

Choosing a name for a game/program is, I'm sure everyone will agree, the hardest but most important part of all.

It's real "hard work", so to speak.

So, I had a candidate in mind -- "chessticle", but alas that one is taken.

I want it to be a bit of a pun, but obvious it's a chess program, too.

I also want a name aligned with the basic premise/approach of this particular implementation. That is, speaking, agressive/rude, inappropriate.

So here are some candidates...

* grouchess

* speechess

* bitchess

* debouchess

* bellyachess

I also briefly considered naming it "Andrew Davie" just to throw a spanner in the works.

Edited by Andrew Davie