IGNORED

Chess

Andrew Davie

7 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Here's a version with the bright parts toned down a bit. Looks a bit dim to me on the emulator; maybe it's OK on your TV.

This is also using my new timer-wait loop...

CDFJChess.bin 32 kB · 5 downloads

Yes, the flicker is less distracting in this version on my TV but... it's in black and white!

Stella reports 273 scanlines, and my TV doesn't show color with odd number of lines.

7 hours ago, alex_79 said:

Yes, the flicker is less distracting in this version on my TV but... it's in black and white!

Stella reports 273 scanlines, and my TV doesn't show color with odd number of lines.

Sorry about that; poor quality control.

Here's a replacement, with the VB timer set back to 47 and optimised draw.

The draw will probably fit inside the VB, but even if it doesn't I expect the new TIMINT code to behave gracefully.

In other words, I expect this to draw a pretty good frame no matter what.

The screen is set to 276 scanlines.

Again, this is the version with muted colours to reduce the shimmer effect.

CDFJChess.bin

8 hours ago, alex_79 said:

IMG_20210126_182430.thumb.jpg.c7162141d0139c1f25a33d17b4f2b2d9.jpg

It works, but the board is not visible behind the black pieces.

Thanks; I've fixed black in this version.

That logic analyser has proven to be a great debug tool. TY.

CDFJChess.bin

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

Playing on my PAL Atari 2600 (light 6er) with normal HARMONY cartridge:

- „chess20200911_4PQ7“ and „chess20200911_4PQ8_FAIL“ will result in this:

E9FF2849-1B31-4BA3-85C7-ECD5D652F6A7.jpeg

"

And, it turns out, there's a shared bug in PlusCart/UnoCart 3E+ bankswitch code, that limits RAM to 16 KiB.  That's a bug because the 3E+ scheme actually supports 32 KiB of RAM.  So, that's not quite fixed yet - will take a while to get around to the various releases for those products. But at least now this issue is solved for me, and I can move on with my life."

I wonder if Harmony has the same problem -- this version needs 32K RAM support, and early drivers implemented the 3E+ bankswitch incorrectly.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

"

And, it turns out, there's a shared bug in PlusCart/UnoCart 3E+ bankswitch code, that limits RAM to 16 KiB.  That's a bug because the 3E+ scheme actually supports 32 KiB of RAM.  So, that's not quite fixed yet - will take a while to get around to the various releases for those products. But at least now this issue is solved for me, and I can move on with my life."

I wonder if Harmony has the same problem -- this version needs 32K RAM support, and early drivers implemented the 3E+ bankswitch incorrectly.

My Harmony cart is Firmware v1.05 (latest PAL driver available ?‍♂️). But have no problems with any new homebrews up to Gorf Arcade or Lady Bug Arcade. 

Just now, Bomberman94 said:

With my PlusCart the above versions run fine („chess20200911_4PQ7“ and „chess20200911_4PQ8_FAIL“) on the same machine. Here’s a picture:

5E9ADC87-5145-41A8-AE90-382FF206FD39.jpeg

Thanks for testing. Pretty much confirmation that the harmony cart driver for 3E+ bankswitch has a bug and is probably limiting the scheme to 16K when it should be 32K RAM. You should probably report this in the Harmony forums.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Davie said:

Thanks for testing. Pretty much confirmation that the harmony cart driver for 3E+ bankswitch has a bug and is probably limiting the scheme to 16K when it should be 32K RAM. You should probably report this in the Harmony forums.

... will do. Are there other games to cross check this problem?

4 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

With my PlusCart the above versions run fine („chess20200911_4PQ7“ and „chess20200911_4PQ8_FAIL“) on the same machine. Here’s a picture:

5E9ADC87-5145-41A8-AE90-382FF206FD39.jpeg

These graphics look „crisper“ or „clearer“ to me but not so nice and colorful as the the newest version... (hard to decide). 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, Andrew Davie said:

Correct; a tech-demo only. But I'm thinking of porting over to the new display.

What's your opinion of it on a CRT?

Checking again with regard to the graphics:

There is a bit flickering and colors look a „bit dark“ to me - tried to catch it with a short video I made.

28 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

Checking again with regard to the graphics:

There is a bit flickering and colors look a „bit dark“ to me - tried to catch it with a short video I made.

IMG_3763.MOV

Thanks. Brightness is easy to change in the code.

Videos are next to useless IMHO as they don't generally show what it looks like to the eye...

Video given looks MUCH more flickery than I expect it to look to the eye.