IGNORED

Silent Butler 80

Bill Lange

Curt Vendel recently sent me 14 5 1/4 floppy diskettes related to the rare, unreleased 80 column version of Silent Butler. I Kryofluxed all 14 diskettes and put disk images and RAW files in various places including archive.org

You can run the disk images in Altirra with a virtual XEP80 attached. I've been able to get the 80-column title screen to display, but nothing after that. Once the "disk" stops stops spinning, it plays a tune, which I assume means it wants a RECORD disk, but haven't got much further. Curt had brought these diskettes to VCF East 2019 in May and we were able to get just as far on physical hardware. 

As I mentioned I Kryofluxed all 14 diskettes and made disk images of both sides for a total of 28 disk images to play with. The raw Kryoflux files are also in the archive.

2019-11-30-0009.thumb.jpg.8bddd006f2f6e165e7febe7192239dae.jpgsb80.png.b54be115cab2ebac156b8eb5d5c87c58.png

Curt also has a few pages of notes/manual that were with the diskettes. We'll get them posted here as well.

If anyone is able to get past the title screen in 80 columns, please report back.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone sure that there is more than a title screen? Maybe that's as far as Atari got...will it load into the program in 40-column mode?

I never did understand the title of this program. How many rich people with butlers would actually have their butler's do their accounting and finances instead of a professional accountant?:roll: It should have been called 'Silent Accountant.'

Edited by Gunstar

28 minutes ago, Bill Lange said:

There was once a popular thing called a "Silent Butler". Maybe it is just a play on that.

I find a spreadsheet, even back in the ferg, much easier to use.

I guess it fits if your finances are the equivalent of ashes and crumbs!

I too use a spreadsheet, and other Synapse Syn-series programs. But my favorite I use is pictured below, I highly doubt Silent Butler is more sophisticated. Doing my finances on my Atari makes them a bit less a hassle and more fun, because it's another opportunity to use my Atari! And no worries about hackers breaking in! But it's not in 80-columns, the only downside for me, but I'm willing to put up with it.

20191203_121643.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Got SB80-19871009-80 to run:

image.thumb.png.63081cbe515873e221d498b6ed2827f7.png

For some reason, Silent Butler 80 uses two different XEP80 drivers. The driver that draws the splash screen autodetects an XEP80 in either joystick port 1 or 2, but the one used by the main program is hardcoded to port 1. Altirra's XEP80 emulation is on port 2, which is why the main program blanks out. I need to add an option to switch it to port 1.

Side note, ending a section with "Should this info be corrected (Yes/No)?" is not good UI....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I really would like deeply, deeply thank:

- Curt for saving the disks

- Alan providing the Kryo

- Bill making all the hard work to kryo them and provide them for us

- phaeron for getting it run

Again, Tom Cruise is fictional in a movie, the above ones are the real IMF team!

It shows again, what can be achieved, when we all work together! :-)))

Please go ahead!

2 Accountant boxes and our "baby":

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Atari The Dow Jones Investment Evaluator

are still missed... ;-)

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 4

Here are two and a half silent (boring) minutes of Silent Bulter 80 boot from an SDRIVE-MAX on an Atari 800XL with a XEP80 connected to joystick port #1 and output to a Zenith green screen.

I tried to capture the video with a video capture card, but the card didn't like the XEP80 output. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Allan said:

But the question is, what happened to the Apple II version? And what ever became of the dot-matrix printer check pinter holder?

There was an Apple II version?  Interesting.   I'm surprised they bothered though, there was so much productivity software for the Apple II that SB would have gotten lost in the shuffle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 8:01 AM, Allan said:

There as suppose to be a ST version as well but was never shipped as well. It would be cool to hear an interview with Ted A. Goldstone, the owner of the company. (if he is still alive.)

I've been trying to find Ted since May, no luck so far.

-K

• Like 1