IGNORED

Question for P-Box TIPI owners - (REMOVAL of the FDC)

Omega-TI

I know there are one or two legacy programs out there that actually require a physical DSK1 to run, but after having your TIPI installed in your P-Box, have you ever considered REMOVING the floppy drive controller all together?   In my case I've not really used a physical disk drive or my Lotharek HxC in some time. 

My thoughts were removing the floppy controller and the HxC and installing a faceplate that houses an SD card extension for the TIPI's Rpi and maybe an I2C display.  By removing the floppy controller I should also gain extra memory for Extended BASIC.  Many people run sidecar TIPI's and Nano's without the need for real floppy drives, so why should P-Box owners?

Edited by --- Ω ---
Error in assumption on memory size

Man, if you could come up with an "Arcadeshopper Kit" that has a 3D printed faceplate with openings for an SD card and an I2C display, with all hardware and hookup cables included, I'd be an instant +1.
A full height one? I can print a cover but it takes a ton of time/filiment

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Better to just use some fancy shell scripts Omega.  TIPI is linux underneath, and that means fancy mountpoints are doable.  Especially if you have a NAS on your network.

A quick blast of rsh over the telnet connection, and bob's your uncle. You can have entire volumes inside files, sitting on the NAS waiting to be mounted, for instance.

EG, create a 2gb volume file like this--

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/samba/2gbvol.img BS=1M count=2048

then put an ext4 file system on it with

mkfs.ext4 /mnt/samba/2gbvol.img

then you just mount it on top of your SD card as you need it.

EG--

mount -t ext4 /mnt/samba/2gbvol.img /mnt/sdcard/dsk1

make sure the dsk1 folder is empty though!

You can unmount it with

sync && umount /mnt/sdcard/dsk1

(just make sure nothing is using files on it though, otherwise it will error that the volume is in use, and cannot be unmounted.)

rsh stands for "remote shell", and lets you send a one-liner over the telnet or ssh connection. On the pi side, just have some utility scripts set up that have these things inside. That way instead of '2gbvol.img' you could have 'DiskManagement', and your rsh could be something like

rsh /home/tipi/MountDiskManagement.sh

that would tell the pi to run that script. The script then executes and does any initial sync & unmount, followed by mounting your desired set there.

There really shouldn't be a reason to remove the sdcard from the Pi... basically ever... if you set it up right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1